IGNORED

R12 shift lever positioning

dshogman

In an efort to fit my R12 to my short inseamed body (27"), I've taken several steps. First was the low seat. Then bar risers have helped the upper body. Peg lowering kit has helped the old knees extend a little bit. And I've added a 1/2 inch to my boots for better ground contact, so the inseam is now 27 1/2". Well. the combination of the latter two has place my boot tip out of whack with the shift lever. Previously, I was shifting up with the welt of my boot. Now, I have to do the same but the positioning of my foot is more of a strain.

So, is there any way of adjusting the lever - I can see the adjustment for the brake lever but not the shift lever - to allow my boot toe to get under the lever? And can it be done by a moderate mechanically inclined person?

Thanks for your assistance.

Two methods: one is to remove the shift lever and reposition it on different splines. Be sure to check that the sidestand will still swing past it afterwards. The second is to use the adjusters visible behind the frame area near the footpeg. I haven't done this yet so cannot descrube it in detail, but I believe there clips on the ball type joints that you must remove, then pop off an end, loosen the lock nut to adjust the shaft length, then re-attach ball end and clip.

Archived