IGNORED

"Ride-On" Tire Protection. Anyone Use It?

John, Northeast Florida

John, Northeast Florida

I purchased the "Ride-On" tire protection kit but have been leery of filling my tires with anything other than nitrogen or air. So, if you have used the system, some questions:

1. When new tires are put on must wheels/rims be cleaned with some sort of solvent. The mfg says no but am looking ofr real world.

2. Have you experienced any problems with the process?

3. If you got a new bike would you use the system again.

Thanks in advance for those using the system.

I've used it in all my bikes with no ill effects. I've warned tire changers that it's in there, but they tell me almost nothing has come out. I guess it's all bonded to the tire by then.

I haven't had any punctures to evaluate its ability to keep air in (but I think it was Rider magazine that tested it by driving a bunch of nails into a tire and going for ride, losing only a few psi), but my tires do seem to last a bit longer than average.

My answers to your specific questions are no, no, and yes (I've got two bottles in the garage now, ready for my next tire change). It seems like cheap insurance to me.

BTW, I expect the mods will move this thread to "Bike-Related Stuff".

I've used 'Slime' or 'Goop' in my tyres for the last 4 years with no ill effects that I've noticed and apparently no punctures either. I warn the tyre fitter that it's in there but he says it wipes out with water so it causes him no problems at all.

Larry Grodsky, the Stayin'Safe guy, was involved in testng the product. He recommends it. Since they can't even spell his name correctly on their website, I don't think Larry has any connection to Ride-On.

I have used Ride-On for a few years now. There was a test in MC Consumer News. They recommended it. I change my own tires. I noticed the Ride-On does not run out of the tire and all over the place like some of the other sealers do. It leaves a nice black coating on the inside of the tire. I would recommend it. Last time I bought a box and saved a few bucks. As with any sealer inspect your tires often. Sealers can hide a problem, like an object sticking into the tire.

Archived