IGNORED

bmw tall windshield

bgf50

I've been thinking about getting a taller winshield for my 2004 r1150rt. I'm only 5'10" but I notice that if I shrug down a little bit almost all of the wind noise is gone. When I search the forum it seems everyone is buying aftermarket windshieids but I can't find any reference to the bmw windshield.

It's cheaper than all the others (Cee Baileys, etc.) Just wondered if there is anyone out therre who has tried the bmw tall windshield.

My 02' RTP came with the tall "police" windshield. It was soon replaced with a Cee Baileys shield. It did the job but i like the fact that the Cee Bailey shield has a lip on it, which means you can drive with it lower and still get the same wind protection so you arent looking through the windshield but rather over it.

I have a near new one in storage. I started out with the BMW P/N: 46632313658 Standard Windshield, then I bought the BMW P/N 71602317568 Tall Windshield, then the French made Secdem Tall Windshield (Quietest), and my final and best overall is the Cee Bailey's BMW #2 +3½" Smoke Gray Tint Windshield.

I'm 6'3" tall and I ride 99% of the time with the windshield in the full down position with sustained speeds up to 125mph. The only time I raise the windshield an inch or so is when in a hail storm or clouds of insects. I've crossed the states twice with the Cee Bailey and swear by it.

Don't make the mistake many have made looking for the best. I still have them all and probably should sell a few!

Good luck,

I just put a BMW tall windshield on my R1100RT, I had a CB#2 with Euro Cut +3.5 inch on it before. The BMW shield does fit better, but over all, the CeeBailey does a better job of noise/weather protection. I'm not sure what I'm going to go with for long term. I'll keep both, and just switch back and forth. I'm 5'11" with a Sargent Seat on the RT.

I use the BMW Tall for my summer shield. Actually there's very little difference (well, 2") between that and the stock. I actually put my CeeBailey's back on yesterday. Does it ever seem tall! But I go through these thoughts every year when I do the swap. It is so much quieter!! I can actually hear my engine and that part I really love. I'm 5'10", never look through... always over. I'd suggest you look at the Cee instead. Most excellent quality. It's prolly less expensive too.

Thanks for all the info.

Since you are the same height as me, how much over stock height did you get on the Cee Bailey's?

I talked to them today and they suggested I get 2.5" over. Is that enough?

The BMW tall is already 2" taller than the stock. Not much. I got in on my CB when they were just getting started with M/C Shields as they specialized previously (and still) in aircraft windows. By the way, My CB shield is FAA Certified cool.gif

I think mine's +4 1/2" and standard width. I only need to raise it about an inch to negate nearly all noise and create a smooth airflow. All the way up and it becomes my "smoking section" and I am looking through it then and that's the only time I ever look through it.

It took some getting used to, not because it hinders my vision, but simply because it's there. Every year I go through that same syndrome (like I'm a kid trying to see what's on the countertop but I'm just not tall enough) but after that first year, it only lasts for a brief ride. Like I said, it's not in the way, it's just there.

But I'm glad I have it when the temps turn cooler.

I need some advice from you all. I am 6'2". A CB at +3.5 should work fine? What about extra width? On a 1600 mile trip last week I got a bit beaten up from the sides by buffeting. I guess I could change back to stock when it is really hot (up to 120 in the TX desert).

I am 5'10" and use the BMW tall windshield (same one on two bikes now) and have no problems seeing over it with the seat in the low position, using the master yoda seating position. My passenger also likes it and she is taller than I am.….personally I never wanted a barn door out front, and the tall shield gives me all the protection I have ever needed even on those 800 mile plus days and it still gets out of the way when it is hot and I put it in the low position. Obviously this is a personal preference issue, but I have never even considered another windshield as this one is perfect for my needs.

I'm 6'4 and have a CB Euro +5.5 on my 1100RT. It works fine but you do get wind on your arms which is a plus here in Florida. I have an AeroFlow which is wider but not quite tall enough for me. I have a Sargents seat in the high position. The normal CB would be wider than the Euro cut.

D

Archived