IGNORED

Pinouts for the Autocom Kenwood Radio Cable?

Laney

I think I've narrowed down the Autocom problems I've been having to the cable that connects to the Kenwood FRS. I pulled the cover back to see if there was any obvious loose wires, but everything looked OK. I tried checking with a meter to see which pin went where on the plug side, but two of them seemed to not go anywhere.

I wasn't sure if all the pins were used in the 5 pin connector.

Does anyone know which pin goes where on the radio cable? smile.gif

I used a Fluke to ohm out my Kenwood cable and had the same results...

With the key at the top and going clockwise...

Pin #1 ground-common for ptt-mic plug (the bigger one)

Pin #2 speaker to tip of small plug

Pin #3 Ground or common -speaker

Pin #4 NC

Pin #5 NC

This was checked on a fully functioning Autocom cable, so at least so far it appears your cable is checking out the same as mine.

Somewhere I have a Kenwood radio schematic and if I have time tonight, I'll take a look and see whats going on the with PTT/MIC connections.

Thanks Tim smile.gif That's what I found too. I was starting to wonder if my test leads weren't making contact somehow when I couldn't find anything on 4 & 5.

If you do find the info, I'm curious as to what's going on between the two plugs and the Kenwood too.

Laney,

I don't have time to research this right now, but HERE is the schematic for the Kenwood radio I use. It uses the same Mic/PTT circuit as the TK3101 and one of the other less expensive Kenwood FRS/GMRS radios.

Its a 2.2MB download and you'll find the PTT/Speaker (J701)circuits on the right side of the schematic near F.

Note that the same circuits will also allow the radio to be programmed by an external computer or transfer an image from another Kenwood radio.

Also...shorting Pins 1 & 2 together puts the radio into transmit mode.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Laney, is this a new cord, or a new problem with an old cord? Richard and I found that one of the pins for one of his cables didn't seat all the way into the radio, even though it looked right. (of course we demolished it (surprise) in the process of finding this out.)

The fix was to push the small lead further into the radio, and keep it there with a zip tie until a replacement could be found.

Archived