IGNORED

anyone add extra powerlet to R1200RT?

dyvking

Just picked up my new red '06 12RT. With only one power outlet, and that one limited to 5 amps, I'm itching to add a second powerlet. BMW makes a kit for the R12GS which I added to my own GS, so I'm wondering if anyone knows whether there is a similar kit for the RT, or if the GS kit would work.

Thanks. I saw mention of the "OE" extra power plug, but the inference was that it was a dealer option.. nothing online about it either. The manual shows an additional plug on the left rear panel below the tail rack.

Thanks. I saw mention of the "OE" extra power plug, but the inference was that it was a dealer option.. nothing online about it either. The manual shows an additional plug on the left rear panel below the tail rack.

That's the one. I think the kit is about $28. Should be easy to add - I haven't done it yet. OE means optional equipement, I think.....

all the best,

Mike

To my surprise, my R12RT arrived with the OE power outlet already installed on the rear panel and I did not have to pay for it. I tapped into the circuit when I installed Hyper-lite brakelights, and it looks pretty simple. The wiring is there, and you should see a little cap covering the hole provided for it. The socket thingy should be a simple plug-in.

That's the one. I think the kit is about $28. Should be easy to add - I haven't done it yet. OE means optional equipement, I think.....

all the best

Mike

That spot in the rear does me little good though. I think I'll dig around the other one up front and see if it looks like the one I tapped into with the GS kit. If it is, the GS kit should work. I need to install one on the other side of the front fairing. I may just make up a set myself.. did it with the GS to install a separately fused outlet, not attached to the canbus.

The kit I receved for the RT cost about $50; it came with a power outlet, a wiring harness with 3 connectors and instructions for locating the outlet either on the left rear panel or on the right front in a similar position to the standard outlet on the left front.

You don't need the harnness if you are installing the outlet in the left rear panel - about a 10 minute job. To install it in the right front, you do need to remove a lot of the tupperware, which is not too difficult but does take some time.

Using this kit, either front or rear, the new outlet will be controlled by the CanBus system and have the same load limit. If that's a problem, I'd skip the kit and just buy an outlet and wire it directly to the battery - with a fuse please.

Good luck!

Brian

At a recent tech session at the local dealership, they made the point that any extra outlets that go through the canbus system will have limited watts -- not enough to power heated jackets or entire suits. They said that although the system had enough amps, the canbus wasn't programmed to allow it. Would need to tap directly to the battery.

The kit I receved for the RT cost about $50; it came with a power outlet, a wiring harness with 3 connectors and instructions for locating the outlet either on the left rear panel or on the right front in a similar position to the standard outlet on the left front.

You don't need the harnness if you are installing the outlet in the left rear panel - about a 10 minute job. To install it in the right front, you do need to remove a lot of the tupperware, which is not too difficult but does take some time.

Brian.. where did you get your kit?

Using this kit, either front or rear, the new outlet will be controlled by the CanBus system and have the same load limit. If that's a problem, I'd skip the kit and just buy an outlet and wire it directly to the battery - with a fuse please.

Good luck!

Brian

That's what I did with the GS.. battery direct AND a kit. In reality, the only high-draw piece I need to use is my heated jacket, and I already have a battey direct wiring harness for that, so I may just use it. The second outlet in the rear makes it easier to use the electric tire pump though. I have mine on kind of a short lead, so I may go ahead and add the kit there.

The R12RT comes withe the plug for the rear power outlet on the wiring harness. The addition outlet cost me $25, pop out the filler plug, put the socket into the hole tighten the nut and plug it into the wiring harness.

The hardest thing about it was getting the nut started, tight quaters, the wifes smaller hands did the trick.

not enough to power heated jackets or entire suits. They said that although the system had enough amps, the canbus wasn't programmed to allow it. Would need to tap directly to the battery.

Ya know, this is just not true. I have a R1200RT and have hooked up my Gerbing heated jacket and GPS to the standard front accy. socket. It is current limited at 10 Amps, more than enough to power a heated jacket. Gerbings web site says that the heated jacket consumes 77 watts which works out to approx. 6 amps for the jacket.

On the other hand, the accy. outlet on the R1200GS is supposed to be limited to 5 Amps. Since I don't own a 1200GS, I cannot confirm this fact. Anybody else??

Walt -

The kit that came with the wiring harness is BMW Part No. 171607690150 and I bought it from my dealer. I didn't need to use the wiring harness because I put the new powerlet in the rear. However, I'm holding on to it incase I want to power another powerlet or something else (GPS, etc) up front.

Brian

I have my GPS Wired direct to the battery, so it will operate without the bike ignition being on, required for accurate timing of long runs, lasting mutiple days.

I have powered my Gerbings jacket off the front powerlet outlet without problems.

The back outlet powers the wifes electric vest at the same time, no problem.

all the best,

Mike

OE stands for original equipment, and Powerlet is a brand name. Powerlet makes all kind of electrical connectors and harnesses.

Archived