IGNORED

Taking the fairing panels off an ST

jaySTrider

Has anyone worked out how to get the fairing panels off an ST yet? I've got the lower panels off easy enough but the main panels seem to be invisibly fixed to the top tank panel and I don't want to snap anything off!

Removing entire right fairing side panel

Remove screws (1) to (6).

Lift the fairing side panel up until it is clear of the motorcycle.

575264-R1200STTopFairingsmall.JPG.ce8d7eb0dc145f88b615c0851e0ee0af.JPG

Removing left inboard cover

Remove screws (1).

Disengage the inboard cover at the front and the outboard side.

Lift the inboard cover up to remove.

575267-R1200STleftinboardcoversmall.JPG.d2ebcbffd99df655a593d8d0d300c286.JPG

One screw that is easily missed is number 3 that is shown in Downwinds first post attachment. It's sort of underneath and inside the panel at the front of the ST.

Also you should note that while there are no screws in the side panel to tank interface (the seams on the top left/right sides of the tank) there are tabs that fit into slots. You can see the tabs clearly on the attachment to Downwind's second post. It's on the same inside edge of the fairing panel that the number 2 partially obscures.

Note - When I've removed a side panel, I removed it as one piece. Im not sure why you would want to bother with the clips and screws that Downwind points out in his second post. It appears to me once you have the entire side panel off, there is no need to dismantel the side panel any further. But I could be overlooking something or it was just supplied for additional information.

Also note that if you remove the left or right inboard covers, they also have tabs that must be fit in place to the front fairing before you re-install them. I found that installing the inboard covers BEFORE installing the side fairings is much easier. YMMV

Thanks guys for the info and the very helpful photos. Is there an official BMW manual that they came out of?

Looking at the first couple of photos and your comments Tim, whilst I got all the screws out to take the whole side panel off, I was stumped with the top panel/side panel interface. The tabs must have been pretty firmly seated and I did not want to put too much force on them when I wasn't quite sure how it fitted together.

Hi, the images were from the BMW Repair manual on CD. Ginger has not removed the side panels yet and the directions on the CD only had the steps that I listed on my previous posts. Sorry, I couldn't help any more.

Looking at the first couple of photos and your comments Tim, whilst I got all the screws out to take the whole side panel off, I was stumped with the top panel/side panel interface. The tabs must have been pretty firmly seated and I did not want to put too much force on them when I wasn't quite sure how it fitted together.

The pieces snap together pretty tightly. It takes a bit of pressure and I can understand your caution. Bringing the side panel straight up with a little bit of forward pressure seemed to help for me.

Kudos to Tom for posting the pictures from the CD/ROM. You can get the CD from Motobins or from your dealer. Motobins is less expensive.

This repair manual of which you speak...is that the BMW shop manual that the dealer uses? If so, I'm told it's not really the thing for the shade-tree mechanic. I hear the more-useful repair manuals for Beemers are actually third party products--and that one is yet to be available for the 1200ST. Anybody know anything more on this topic?

Archived