IGNORED

R1200ST + Givi

briantd

I managed to attach a Givi 52L case to my ST right before a trip from LA to SF. It was a hit with the passenger, and in addition managed to hold a monster amount of stuff.

575080-Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.f97319e71c3b07a72c3144e0c19448c7.jpg

The ST doesn't seem to notice -- or maybe it's just me. smile.gif

I commute to work daily on a freeway across the Bay Bridge (to San Francisco). The trip across the bridge is usually windy, but imo, adding the case yielded no discernable difference. Then again, the backpack I stowed in it weighs around 15lbs...

No new whistling noises either.

-B

WOHO!

Thanx man... been looking for a couple of weeks for ANY picture of a givi on the ST, I've been considering the Givi ST rack and a a monokey 36/46L topbox... wearing a huge backpack in summer will suck! That looks better than I thought! Any pics of the topbox mounted from straight behind I can get a look at?....

I see you've got the fastest colors also... thumbsup.gif

Bry

Attached to this post is the only other pic I have right now, but I'll add more soon...

I love not having to wear a backpack! And finally -- my wife can't ridicule me for having less storage than her Vespa scooter.

I was psyched to discover Givi's ST rack. It's certainly the cleaner, simpler, and better tested solution. But I decided to go for the E52/adapter plate combo for a few reasons:

1) Already had the seeminly very sturdy BMW rack

2) Adapter plate was cheaper

3) Extra capacity. I can easliy fit 2 large full-face Arias in there. More importantly, my bulky crumpler camera backpack (shrinkle) fits!

I'd love to discover a way to mount Givi side bags, but I'll probably end up having to fork over the $$$$ for the BMW variants.

-B

575509-bike.jpg.91b3ce912d6647d8dcb8c38349300e3f.jpg

Yes.

Givi makes mounting hardware for the R1200RT that uses the BMW RT rack.

(http://www.givi.it/perlatuamoto/visualizza.asp?modello=368#)

Click on the camera icon on the right side next to E193, and there's a pic.

Also someone on the hexhead forums made their own mount

(http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=hex&Number=511174&Searchpage=3&Main=511174&Words=BereIsland&topic=&Search=true#Post511174)

Looks great! Definitely going that way, but I'll probably get the givi rack and the 35 litre variant for around town... Figured I'll get the 46L for the wife Majesty scoot and when I'm touring I'll swap the two! grin.gif

Then I'll get the panniers... the new BMW ones look and seem to work great.. Did you get a cost on adapting the locks for your bike?, they want approx $300 over here, kinda steep.. I'll stick with the extra keys..

Thanx for the photo!

Bry

Interestingly enough, the RT side bags fit on the ST. and look *very* cool with em, ill try to get pictures of it over the weekend at the beemer shop smile.gif

and...

It'd be really cool if I could add the Givi tail lights. Not sure if the ABS supports that or not -- I'll have to ask the dealer.

-B

577361-52008761_c8d74b8a34_m.jpg.5ec90835c7c51659c7cbd1dcefe967d5.jpg

Soon let you know... it's not the ABS, it's wether or not the electronics for current sense on the brake light lines will be affected. If they supply lamps with my kit there -may- be a problem, but with high intensity LED's the current draw is minimal and I'm pretty sure the variance when connected won't flip things out... otherwise, it's off to optocouple world and do it that way! smile.gif

I'll let you know when I fit..

So? what was the tankbag? (make)

Bry

It's a Marsee "bullet". Attached is one of the more unconventional uses I found for it.

I wanted something that could:

1) fit easily behind the navigator II and visually not make much of a fuss

2) store my treo and lumix fx9 (mini camera) so they're "on the ready"

3) easy to take off the bike and use as a, uh, "man bag"

4) display scribbled directions (when not using the Nav II)

I like it so far!

-B

577815-51357947_24ee8bb594_m.jpg.070624b762d9071b216ddec58468aa01.jpg

Yep. But I'm picky! And the nearest place on the approved list is at least a 15m walk away.

What to do... What to do... Always perturbed me that the ST didn't come with cup holders! wink.gif

So one day, while oogling my tank bag, I had an epiphany. If I can keep the speed down and the ride steady... instant self-amelioration. clap.gif

Archived