IGNORED

Two Wheeled Deer

Dennis Andress

Dennis Andress

AKA Bicyclists.

They behave like deer, and can be more dangerous. There is a big event in Markleeville, CA the weekend before the UN. With 2,800 deer attending, it will be sure to make a mess of the passes near Topaz Lake. Their itinerary: High Sierra Challange

SageRider

Dennis,

The Markleville Death Ride is the Saturday before our event. Most bicyclist will have cleared out of the area by Sunday afternoon.

The event you linked to starts the Friday following our event.

Quote from Official Unrally Announcement thread:

Just as a heads up to all:

I would advise not planning on riding in the central Sierra on the Saturday preceding the event (7/10/2010) due to the

Markleville Death Ride taking place.

There will be a lot of bicycles on the road for this event, with some of the passes being closed for the event.

If you plan on riding the Sierras, particularly SR89 South of Lake Tahoe, SR4, or SR88 on Saturday 7/10/2010 please check the website above so you will have an idea what you will encounter. Riders may be out on the course as late as 8:00 PM...

Remember bicyclists face much the same challenges motorcyclists face in dealing with traffic yet are far more vulnerable to injury from idiot, distracted and downright aggressive "cagers". Can't escape as readily and especially in urban areas can go surprisingly quickly and maneuver easily but suffer more in a crash.

Give um a little space, share the road! My .02

+1 Give 'em lots of room. Riding a bicycle in the mountains ain't as easy as it looks. If you're approaching a cyclist from the rear, give two quick toots of your horn to give them time to ease even further to the shoulder.

Bob Palin

Apparently Dennis has been underexposed to both deer and bicyclists. That can be cured at a stroke if he is willing to come and help with the

crclogo.jpg

right after the UN

Dennis Andress

There's enough of 'em around here, thank you. And, just like the four-legged variety, they tend to wander down the road with no thought to traffic or consequences. SageRider is right, the event is the weekend before the UN. Anyone getting to the area early can expect lots of CHP activity, lots of support vehicles, and lots of "it's our road and you shouldn't be here" attitude.

See you in a couple of weeks Bob!

SageRider

It's our road "too" and you shouldn't be "racing around" here

Exactly how the bicyclist feel about motorcyclists strafing the corners...

July is summer. There WILL be bicyclists on many of the mountain roads in the area. They will be from novice level to world class racers. Use caution and cut the bicyclists some slack. They will appreciate it!

(There are inconsiderate folks in every group. No need to condemn all bicyclists for the action of the few just as there is no need to condemn all motorcyclists for the actions of the few...)

It's our road "too" and you shouldn't be "racing around" here

Exactly how the bicyclist feel about motorcyclists strafing the corners...

July is summer. There WILL be bicyclists on many of the mountain roads in the area. They will be from novice level to world class racers. Use caution and cut the bicyclists some slack. They will appreciate it!

(There are inconsiderate folks in every group. No need to condemn all bicyclists for the action of the few just as there is no need to condemn all motorcyclists for the actions of the few...)

Having watched some motorcyclists act like the idiots they are, I hope I'm not judged based on their behavior.

Because the speed difference between bikes and motorcycles, I always give them as much room as I can.

Now when I'm in the south side of the Denver area and watch them run red lights on a regular basis, I wish there was a cop around.

But I'm an old phart and get easily upset.

I'll mirror what you all have said..And, like Sagerider, these roads are in my backyard. Bicycles are present at ALL times of the summer, especially Hwy 4, Ebbetts Pass, near the top.. They love to ride 3 and 4 abreast, not leaving much room for anything else.

Although "hoonable", I'd suggest to all attending the UN, find a different road for that. Corners are blind, and shoulder's aren't present in most locations...Not to mention the BIG trees, and granite rocks.

Slow down and enjoy the ride.

MB>

• 2 weeks later...
.......Use caution and cut the bicyclists some slack. They will appreciate it!

:thumbsup:

Archived