IGNORED

Rain Gear Question

Motorrad4fun

Motorrad4fun

I found out yesterday that my winter riding gear that is waterproof is a tad bit warm for this time a year(Sauna Like)

Anybody have any input on raingear that works well for summer/fall time. I ride to work every day and am not in a position to look like I did. I need something that will keep my clothing dry and clean.

Thanks for any input

Jerry_75_Guy

Weekend of Sept. 24th, some friends and I made the trip down to Deal's Gap.

On the way back we had to ride through the remains of Rita.

I brought armored mesh jacket and pants, and a $25 rain suit from

Wallyworld. I taped the pockets closed, and off we went. I was very impressed,

given the low cost of the suit; it worked very well, and I was very comfortable

in this combination, unless stopped for a lengthy period of time (being

rubberized, it didn't breath well).

I'm sure Frogg Toggs are better for breathability, and roll up about as small,

but given that they are a form of paper, I'm not sure that they would last as

long. They also cost about 3X as much.

When I asked this question I got alot of "Frogs Togs" in response. I checked them out and although I'm sure they are waterproof and breathable I didn't care for them very much. The fabric is like paper and the color is pretty dull, not very reflective.

I ended up purchasing a two piece Teknic Chicane from Concord Motorcycle Shops online. I haven't had to use it but if it's not water proof then nothing is. I am sure it'll be a sweat box but if it cold and rainy I'm sur I won't care, at least that's what I tell myself. Total cost was $26 and both top and bottom pack into an xtra small compression sack. For the price, I'll take it.

Another vote for Frogg Toggs BUT.....

Their pants can tear easily and the bottom of the leg cuffs ride up over the top of my boots when seated on my bike. So....when it rains I wear the Frogg Toggs jacket with First Gear nylon rain pants. Works for me.

regards

"Guaranteed Waterproof, Breathable and Affordable"

I think I'll take them up on that guaranteed affordable aspect because I can be pretty cheap at times... crazy.gif

I don't own any rain gear yet, but I was thinking just an inexpensive plastic type* just to keep me dry until I can get out of the rain, because I would stop the first chance I got rather than ride in the rain (but I have not been in this situation yet).

* At $26, sounds like the "Teknic Chicane" is what I'd be looking for, thanks!

Eric

[quoteI don't own any rain gear yet, but I was thinking just an inexpensive plastic type* just to keep me dry until I can get out of the rain, because I would stop the first chance I got rather than ride in the rain (but I have not been in this situation yet).

Eric

Good job you don't live in the UK or you would never get out on a bike. Whereas riding in the rain is less fun than the dry it is really no great issue. Just ease up a bit and leave more space.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Let me put in a vote for a good goretex rain suit. I tried a number of options before I finally decided to bite the bullet and invest in goretex. It is comfortable, breathes well, and keeps me completely dry. It wasn't cheap, but it didn't cost much more than a new tire or any number of farkles on the bike. I've had it for four years now and it is still in great shape. I rode 150 miles in a downpour a few weeks ago and stayed dry as a bone. I bought mine a little large so it fits over anything I want to wear.

I'll second Jeff's comments about good Gortex gear. If you are going to be riding every day, you will certainly get your money's worth. For most of the year, I use a Darien Light jacket and pants. I wear the jacket alone in hot weather or with a fleese liner if it's a bit chilly. Expensive but it will last forever. Good luck with your choice.

Brian

Jerry Johnston

I usually wear a Kilimanjaro jacket and riding jeans but when it rains I wear over pants because not having any excess fat I get cold when it really rains. If you're talking about a sprinkle I'd just use a cheaper rain suit until you're through it or maybe not worry about it if it's a light sprinkle.

another vote for Darien and Roadcrafter. Rode from Omaha to Williamsport, Pa in rain. Some was really gullywashers.

Stayed nice and dry. Once suit for all conditions. grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Good job you don't live in the UK or you would never get out on a bike. Whereas riding in the rain is less fun than the dry it is really no great issue. Just ease up a bit and leave more space.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

I live in Southern California (USA, of course), and we're dry about as much as you are wet. But my R1100RT was off-line for about 3 weeks while I tried to get it up and running, and I was going through heavy "riders" withdrawals. I JUST got the thing running sweet again, and it's been raining the past three days. Having rain gear is something you just have to have unless you'll never travel more than about 5 miles from home, so it's been on my shopping list.

By now, it's going on 4 weeks with no riding - I've got to pickup some rain gear NOW! dopeslap.gif

I ended up purchasing a two piece Teknic Chicane from Concord Motorcycle Shops online. I haven't had to use it but if it's not water proof then nothing is. I am sure it'll be a sweat box but if it cold and rainy I'm sur I won't care, at least that's what I tell myself. Total cost was $26 and both top and bottom pack into an xtra small compression sack. For the price, I'll take it.

I checked Concord, and they don't list them (maybe they were close outs). www.motorcycle-superstore.com has them, but at a higher price (and they're ususally one of the lowest price on-line discounters around).

They've got something called "Nelson-Rigg" on sale - they look like nice suits. Does anyone have experience with this line of rain wear? Also, I agree that the bike specific rain gear is better suited for this type of use due to the reflective qualities built into the suits.

A bunch of the listed brands advertise PVC over nylon or polyester, which would seem like the recipe for a sauna bath. The pricier ones (>$100)seem to be made of waterproof nylon - I guess you get what you pay for.

Dang.. I hate capitalism. There are 200 choices to chose from, and I can't make up my mind. dopeslap.gif

A buddy also recommends Frogs Togs, but I think I'm going to get regular riding gear (don't like the "paper" feel either).

One of the nice things about the Frogg Toggs is that they are so thin that you can roll out the hood from the zippered collar and put it on your head under the helmet.

This way, no water gets in under the helmet to roll down your neck/back.

I carry two pair of Frogg Toggs (FT) on my bike. I keep my FT jacket in a ziplock bag (because I use it as a windbreak too, and want to keep it very handy). I vacuum seal the my FT pants, the passenger's pants and jacket into individual bags. It's amazing how small they shrink down to when you suck out the air.

Another vote for Gortex. I've tried just about everything, and found the Aerostich to be excellent, but not perfect for warm weather. My warm weather gear is now a Savannah suit over which I wear Gortex for rain.

I will third Jeffs remarks. Three years ago I purchased the BMW comuter suit( bibs and jacket). In the summer it is t-shirt and shorts. In the winter long sleeved turtle neck and jeans, full Gerbings gear(jacket,pants liner,gloves and socks,dual permanant controlers). If it is real cold a fleece jacket feels good. I havent carred a rain suit since well about three years ago. Leon

Another vote for aerostich gear. I don't have a need for rain gear, or a need to stop to change into it, because it's always on! I also find that it is ok in the hot and humid as long as you are moving..

I really don't mind riding in the rain, but I'm one of those rare (old) guys that still prefers my leather riding gear over the fabric types. I love the leather, but if I get wet it's miserable, and it takes a while to dry. If you're riding in a climate where it rains once in a while, or you're on a budget, the Frogg Toggs are the best I think. They _are_ thin and light, but that's what makes them so comfortable. They breath well in the heat, are cheap, but they do tear easily and I do believe they melt quickly. The hood is very thin and keeps the neck warm and dry. I liked my Frogg Toggs but gave them to a friend when I decided to invest in the BMW KlimaKomfort Gortex suit. More $$$.$$ than I wanted to spend, but I wanted to get it over with once and for all and I'm glad I did. Nothing but good things to say about this suit. It'll be my last one I ever need. d.

Frogg Toggs. They won't work for you in your colder Winter months but they are a great, lightweight piece of gear to have in your side cases year round in case yu encounter an unexpected squall.

I am using a Streetguard suit. Fantastic waterproof goretex and warm too. Much needed in not so sunny Scotland. Can remove the quilted liner for the above 10 celsius days - few and far between. bmw liners with some kind of neoprene front do the trick on sub 10 days.

ShovelStrokeEd

My KlimaKomfort suit packs, along with my BMW Summer Rain gloves and Gerbings glove liners into an 8x8x2" Eagle Creek packing cube. Never leave home without it. Even the bikes that don't have luggage wind up with this in the tank bag. It doubles as additional weather protection (cold) when needed.

Frogg Toggs. They won't work for you in your colder Winter months
Explain - why don't they work in the cold?

Dear Mr. Killer -

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to elucidate. The Frogg Toggs will work fine in the cold as far as water repellancy but do not provide a substantial insulating layer. For cold combined with rain I think it would be better to get some durable, proper and purpose-made rain gear and leave the Frogg Toggs to lighter duty applications. That's just my opinion.

I thought that's probably what you meant. I disagree of course (it's my middle name), my theory is that insulation begins on the inside and waterproofing/wind resistance on the outside with physical protection in the middle, in layers for flexibility. (I start with the non flexible sub-cutaneous stored Guinness layer, but I digress). This system is not perfect as I found yesterday when it warmed up, removal of the thermals would have been difficult but removal of bulky over garments has its problems too, mostly storage on the bike. I do find that by changing the ventilation of the outer garments I have a wide range of temperatures where I can wear the thermals, from just warm enough to ride to about 70F. Yesterday's problem was that I went for a hike in the middle of a ride (ride tale coming).

I looked into the FT and also didn't care much for them either because they simply didn't seem to be made for motorcycling. I agree with SWB in that there are about 200 choices for everything when it comes to motorcycling. After researching some suits, I came to the conclusion to try the First Gear Rainman jacket and pants:

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/products_raingear.htm#rainman

I have found the Rainman gear to work quite well as it is 100% waterproof nylon in addition to being a great windbreaker. They're very lightweight and the yellow color (also comes in gray and red but IMHO doesn't seem as visible as the yellow), as well as the reflective striping on the back, works great for visibility. (The first time I put the jacket on my wife requested that I make a "bzzzzzzzzzz" sound for her!) The bottom of the pants leg have some heat resistant material to resist melting near pipes. The material is also thin enough that you can put the hood on under your helmet so rain doesn't leak below the helmet into the collar and down your back. Plus, the lightweight feature of this gear lends itself for me to use it as a dual-purpose suit when I'm bicycling the rain. The Rainman "suit" can be had for $115 at newenough.com:

http://www.newenough.com/product_group_misc_rain_gear.htm

There's probably less expensive gear that works just as well and I'm sure there's more expensive gear that works better. I'm always on the lookout for better gear to upgrade to, so if anyone can suggest any other specific goretex suits, that'd be great!

I've used a Campmor Goretex suit made for backpacking for the last 10 years and it works great. Breathable, jacket and pants self store in a pocket. Any suit designed for backpacking should work fine.

I use my camping/fishing gear too. Gore-tex rain pants and a goretex Marmot Jacket over my riding gear has worked well for me over a lot of miles in the rain. That Marmot jacket is the most versatile jacket I've ever owned. I love it.

I just replaced my previous rain pants with Gore-tex ones from Bass-Pro. Easy to get on over my boots, pack up small, have a mesh liner for comfort and only cost $89. They do stock a few other heavier styles that are nice, but I wanted the lightest weight for summer use. The pants I got do have a goofy Bass Pro logo stiched on them, but I suppose I could cover that with a goofy bmw patch instead. That would improve resale value, eh? tongue.gif

Bass Pro Goretex Rain pants

Mike

Archived