IGNORED

Questions on keeping gear protected from rain and music on the road

EMZ

All,

I have a trip planned for work that I want to take my R1100RT. My problem is I have a laptop that doesn't fit into my topcase and I need to protect it from the elements. Any suggestions?

Also my bike does not have a radio but I would like to listen to tunes on the trip. What are some options? I have an iPod, is it fine if I use the headphones?

Most good outdoor activity stores sell fairly heavy duty waterproof bags for use in kayaks starting at about $20 in various sizes. Dry Bags

For the music look at the Griffin Air Click ($40), it's a little RF remote that you can mount on a handle bar.

Here's the module that just plugs in the top of the Ipod.

GriffinAirClickOnIpod.jpg

Here's the remote mounted to my right handlbar, it's the white thing. The remotes sits in a little plastic carrier and can be slipped out, leaving the mounting bracket velcro'ed in place.

GriffinAirClickRemote.jpg

The Ipod then travels inside my jacket away from the elements.

I also recommend Etymotic E6i earphones, these doubled up as ear plugs when the music is not on, shown in the Ipod picture.

I have an iPod, is it fine if I use the headphones?

Many people have trouble with standard earbuds because they don't fit comfortably under a helmet and hardly reduce the wind noise that interferes with the audio. I use a pair of earspeakers just like those pictured above, the Etymotic ER6i. You can find them for less than $150 at a variety of sources online. I got mine from www.discountheadphones.com. Some folks get speakers fitted in custom-molded earplugs, with good results. For me, the ER6i's work great. Most of my riding is commuting, but I had them in for 8 - 12 hours a day for 4 consecutive days during my trip to Torrey and they remained comfortable in my ears. Where the cords exit my ears got rubbed a little raw after all that time, but that was only a minor irritation.

Assuming you use the BMW 33 liter topcase; Is it the laptop or the carrying case that won't fit?

I carry my laptop in a Targus commuter case I picked up at Office Depot for $24 bucks. It fits in the topcase and I can fit power supply, wireless ethernet card, a writing tablet, Palm Pilot, and a few choice work folders. I took the laptop to Torrey on my last trip with no difficulties. (I reserve topcase for laptop, camera, extra alt. belt, 1 qt. oil, bungie cords)

A bigger topcase is another (more expensive) alternative if you want to solve the helmet-fit problem

For tunes....Autocom system with XM Radio is the only way to go!! ($$ for the Autocom)

I made my own XM radio bracket to fit in my tankbag mapcase for about $6 in materials....it won't be pretty till I get a short antenna cable but it works like a champ and goes in the hotel with me at night cause it's not fixed to the bike. 37020110-M.jpg

Good luck

The best setup (besides a tank bag which provides for some good solutions, if you want to deal with a tank bag) is probably a portable MP3 player (iPod in your case) with a remote as described by Chris. The player stays out of the weather, and most remote controls will deal with some rain with no problem, and even if they eventually die they are not expensive to replace.

Definitely get a pair of ER6i or equivalent... stock earbuds do not provide any real noise attenuation and so they both sound bad and pass through dangerous noise levels to the wearer when used on a motorcycle.

How was the install with the autocom? I really love my XM (myfi) and would love to take it with me when I travel. It works with an FM Modulator but gets irritating to have to change the frequency as you come in and out of radio interference. I guess the Roadie would be the better alternative.

How was the install with the autocom? I really love my XM (myfi) and would love to take it with me when I travel. It works with an FM Modulator but gets irritating to have to change the frequency as you come in and out of radio interference. I guess the Roadie would be the better alternative.

Piece-o-cake ( link)

Archived