IGNORED

Accident Question

red baron

Had a collision with a CBR 1000RR this weekend.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/571811/an/0/page/0#571811

Nobody really hurt, but it leaves me with a big question.

The guy's front wheel came to an abrupt stop when hitting my left cylinder (from the front). He was going fast enough that the rear end of his bike came way up, so far up that our helmets to smacked together. The impact was enough to blow his front tire, bend the heck out of his rim, and possibly bend his forks.

While we were able to ride the 250 miles home, I am beginning to wonder if there wasn't possibly some damage done to my engine that I can't see. I've got slightly less than 24,000 miles on the bike. I don't want to have his insurance company replace all my tupperware, only to have my engine blow at 3, 6 or 12 months down the road.

What should my mechanic be looking for? What should I be asking his insurance company for?

Thanks!

HI CHRIS

The key question is what stress has the impact had on the engine mountings etc , it may have created a weak spot on the engine casing where the head is torqued to the block (hairline cracks etc)i think i would invest some cash in an independant structural and mechanical report on the machine .

If there are further problems that are not visible without major investigations you will be able to claim you outlay back, if nothing out of the ordinary is found ok you have spent some money but you do have peace of mind . If on the other hand an independant inspection uncovers something the insurers don,t find, you have a good solid case because you have taken steps to ensure your vehicle is safe or not as the case maybe . Also in the longterm it will save hassle for both parties in the event of further problems .I think that this is the best course of action you can take, i am only sorry you had accident but at least you were not hurt, oh and don,t forget to claim for a new lid if it has had a good impact and from your description it,s a foregone conclusion , the lid must be replaced.

i hope this helps and hope for a good outcome and speedy conclusion for you.

kind regards and stay upright

derek thumbsup.gif

If your tech is good, I think they would pick up on anything. Someone backed into my RT in a parking lot 3 weeks ago and knocked it over. While the apparent damage was cosmetic, and not bad (and the bike seemed to drive fine, too) at the shop for the estimate it came in the neighborhood of 5k. Seems the bump had bent the rear subframe and the front fairing, not to mention all the more visible stuff. After tearing it apart, the shop refused to let me ride it w/o repair based on all the hidden damage. If they do a thorough estimate, they should find out if you have other damage. Good luck. And for my own pity party, I am so bummed about missing out on a large chunk of the best riding season.

Jerry Johnston

I would think if you were able to ride it 250mi. and it rode ok that it probably is ok. I think Derek offered good advice and would get it checked out just for peace of mind.

I rode mine for 200+ miles and didn't know that my rear frame was bent, and much of that was fairly high speed. But, I would agree that engine stuff might be more obvious sooner.

i think i would invest some cash in an independant structural and mechanical report on the machine .

Can my BMW Dealer do that, or do I need to go to a specialty shop?

kind regards and stay upright

derek thumbsup.gif

Oh, NOW you tell me! dopeslap.gif

Thanks for the advice!

Chris,

Sorry to hear of your accident! A few+ years ago there was a picture on this or another forum where a rider with a girlfriend on the back hit something and tore the cylinder right off his bike! He wound up with very bad leg injuries. I've got a picture of his bike somewhere on one of my computers.

Aside from the obvious there could be a stress point or hairline crack around the base of the cylinder. Also you might have stressed cylinder hold down studs or case mountings. Any of these could show up in the future. I would make sure that both insurance companies are aware of future problems.

Good luck,

Jim VonBaden
I rode mine for 200+ miles and didn't know that my rear frame was bent, and much of that was fairly high speed. But, I would agree that engine stuff might be more obvious sooner.

BIG differece between a slightly tweaked frame and engine damage! Had the cylinder been damaged riding 250 miles should have exposed that damage, likely in the form of a leak.

The boxer is an incredibly strong ebgine and can take a lot of abuse. I am sure it is fine. Do check the exhaust studs though.

Jim cool.gif

Archived