IGNORED

lowering the R12RT

neil_wilcox

I feel that my legs are still too short (29"), even with the low seat in the lower position. I would like to do better than one flat foot, and one tiptoe when stopped. My dealer handles Ohlins and quotes $1200 CAD for a lower shock for the rear. I would like to hear from those owners who have lowered an extra 1" or so. Is the handling adversely affected? Is 1" enough to notice the improvement? Does it make much difference to the effort to put the bike on the centerstand? Most of my longer rides are two up with a GVW of probably 1000 lbs. Unfortunately, the R12 feels a lot more top heavy when fueled up than my R100RT ever did. The good news is that once the bike is rolling, the weight disappears and all is well. Thanks for your help in making my decision. Neil

Neil,

I am in the same predicament as you , but at the moment just accept that the problem is there , and as far as I can see it will cost a lot to sort out [ SWMBO is always telling me that this is her one concern about me having this bike ] .

So I am also interested in what suggestions will be forthcoming .

Steve

If you are only lowering the rear, you will be changing the steering geometry and 'choppering' the front end out. The bike will steer differently, most likely heavier to turn. You will also loose ground clearence, but the RT's pretty generous in that area to start with.

You are really just changing the distance between the rear wheel axle and the seat so the location of the center stand pivot won't change much and shouldn't affect putting the bike on the centerstand.

Archived