IGNORED

'Pinging', Octane Booster and Denso Sparkplugs

kingpinofdisks

kingpinofdisks

First, the Denso Sparkplugs in the 1150RT - after 2K miles on the plugs, the ping has come back. Very minimal, but annoying anyways.

Pinging in 6th when I accelerate, on a 90+ degree day.

I added some Turbo 108 to my tank. The can says that a 5% mix of Turbo 108 gives you 108 octane. That would mean around 38 ounces of the stuff in a 6-gallon tank, right?

If you need 38 ounces for 17 octane points, then you probably only need 8 ounces for 3-4 octane points.

In theory, that would mean that putting 1/4 can in my tank should knock up my 91 octane gas to 94 or so octane.

Well, I have done that for 4 tanks in a row, and the recent pinging is there anyways. Less pinging, but still there. frown.gif

In conclusion, I don't think you can get rid of the pinging on an 1150rt twin-spark, but you can minimize it a great deal with new plugs (probably any sort) and higher octane gas.

I think I may switch to changing my plugs every 6K miles. Anyone know where I can get the NGK plugs for my twinspark cheap online?

SAAB93driver

How many miles on bike and at what RPM are you at when you wack it open? 6th is overdrive, you may be lugging the engine. If not maybe need to pull heads and decarbonize.

the ping has come back. Very minimal, but annoying anyways.

That annoyance will eventually destroy your engine. Pinging sounds like 'sand' pinging off your wheels in a cage. Does it sound similar. Ever seen a detonated piston/rings or what's left of it? It's not a pretty sight.

kingpinofdisks

just about 16K miles on the bike now. The test is in 6th at 70, then cracking the throttle wide open till I hit 90 - I get 2 or 3 pings.

The noise sounds like crinkling a thin sheet of aluminum foil, or a tinsy rock bouncing off a metal part of the bike, or .... Basically, it is engine knock, isn't it? Afterfire I would assume?

I was told by the guys at Long Beach BMW that all the 1150RTs ping a bit in the heat, and that it wasen't bad.

As far as carbon buildup, I can see shiny metal when I pan a super-duper-halogen flashlight in thru the spark plug hole at night. My old plugs (factory NGK) looked great after 14K miles.

just about 16K miles on the bike now. The test is in 6th at 70, then cracking the throttle wide open till I hit 90

Yup, if you want to get pinging that technique should do it grin.gif

Cracking the throttle at high load on a high gear is not good for performnce, fuel econnomy or the engine.

Remember, 6th on an RT is overdrive. It is not designed to be used like that. If you don't want to change gear, accelerate smoothly. If you want to accelerate fast, use the gearbox, it's why they give you one.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Pinging in 6th when I accelerate, on a 90+ degree day.

I added some Turbo 108 to my tank. The can says that a 5% mix of Turbo 108 gives you 108 octane. That would mean around 38 ounces of the stuff in a 6-gallon tank, right?

In theory, that would mean that putting 1/4 can in my tank should knock up my 91 octane gas to 94 or so octane.

Well, I have done that for 4 tanks in a row, and the recent pinging is there anyways. Less pinging, but still there. frown.gif

In conclusion, I don't think you can get rid of the pinging on an 1150rt twin-spark, but you can minimize it a great deal with new plugs (probably any sort) and higher octane gas.

BMW suggest that the ’04 R1150RT should run on 95 octane. I own a ’04 R1150RT and haven’t experienced the pinging you have described. Maybe you are running on the wrong octane level hence the pinging. ooo.gif

"BMW suggest that the ’04 R1150RT should run on 95 octane."

In U.S. octane is measured differantly and our 91 is probably on par with your 95.

Wide open in 6th at 70 would probably get most our engines to ping.

Archived