IGNORED

In Case You Were Wondering What it Cost

kinchy

This is not a complaint simply insight for those that may be wondering. Took my 04 RT in for the 6K service. Decided to have PIAA lights installed, lower cylinder head guards installed, my Valentine wired and a brighter rear brake light. I also asked if they could replace my stock cylinder head bolts (they were pitted) with chrome ones (sorry the Harley thing I guess)I realized this lazyiness would cost. Given that expectation I was still suprised. Here we go.

6K Service $278.34 (of that labor was $230.68)

Install PIAAs- The lights $324. Installing them $400 in labor, (that's 5 hours to install these lights)

The chrome cylinder head bolts- $103.42 for the bolts and $39.50 to install (would they charge to reinstall the original ones since they adjusted the valves?)

Cylinder head protectors-$139.49 labor was $39.50

Couldn't do the Valentine couldn't get the right power wire.

Couldn't do the brake light since it didn't come in.

We had long discussions about those two items weeks before the service date. Perhaps I was lucky they didn't get done.

Net, net $1267.69 of which $708.68 was labor. Just to keep things edgy 15 miles from the dealer (on the way home) I stopped for a bite and the bike wouldn't start.

Got it going and spent another hour waiting at the dealer. Like I said.. I selected the easy route so no mas. I will install the Valentine and rear brake light myself. These folks were professional and courteous. Lesson learned, install your own accessories and attend all the tech sessions you can.

Yow'za, that smarts. The amount charged for the 6k service seems about right. The amount of time logged for each of the other items feels a bit "fat." Assuming the lights work and the valve cover bolts look great, forget the pain of the bill and just enjoy them. Plenty of opportunity ahead for the DIY'ing, and the folks on this board are a phenomenal resource.

Ride safe.

I hope they gave you flowers and a box of candy before, and a kiss and cigarette afterward, because you got screwed. You had to have some idea that the extra's would be costly if done by a dealer, didn't you?????

They should not have charged you labor to install the chrome bolts for the head cover, or labor to install the protectors. They had the covers off to check/adjust the valves. They could have installed the parts as a course of reassembly after the service. I would speak with the service manager about a partial refund due to redundant/overlapping labor costs if it was my money.

Mike

Tom

I knew it would hurt. They definitely piled on. I had figured $850-$950. Five hours for the PIAAs was a a revenue producer. After it died on me in the parking lot a few thoughts ran through my mind..I wondered, who really wired the PIAAs? Was it the $80/hr tech or perhaps a trainee?

Got lazy and paid the piper.

Mike,

That was my intention and I plan to do so. The concern is alienating these folks and having only one other alternative, even further away (70 miles). Love this bike but the pathetic dealer network doesn't speak well for the mothership.

just spent approx $900 on the 12k/annual w/o oil, tranny and final drive. had complete brake bleed and new fuel filter. since the tupperware was off i had them install motolights which i had been planning on doing. the cost of the motolights was comparable to web pricing including the switch and light tied into the turn signal cancel switch. overall after i looked at the parts list/labor i was ok with it. plus it saved me valuable time as the bike was naked and there was some labor savings on the motlights install. fyi-within 5 minutes of arrival the rt was on the table and work had begun. i could not wait around but it was finished that day and i picked up in daytona the next day.

12k and annual combined was approx $375. lights and switch about $375(330 +switch). add'l labor for lights approx $100. Tax add'l. it would've take me a whole day to do the lights plus i would've used the plain on off switch that comes with it. instead i was riding.

Steve_Witmer
Lesson learned

Yep. Save those dealership hourly labor $$$ for things beyond your ability or which require tools you do not own.

I try to make the time to do myself the tasks any monkey could do. I figure I'm almost as smart as the monkey. thumbsup.gif

for $400 labor you could have flown me out there via jet blue. i could have visited family in NY AND you would still have gas, toll, and lunch money.

but i also understand when time's a factor the

"how much, how long" way is easier.

Mike,

That was my intention and I plan to do so. The concern is alienating these folks and having only one other alternative, even further away (70 miles). Love this bike but the pathetic dealer network doesn't speak well for the mothership.

If you discuss it maturely, you will not alienate them. They could have made a mistake wink.gif

If the labor was $ 80.00 an hour, it wouldn't be off 287. Possibly Rte 46, or Rte 78. My experience was similar on my 12K. Estimate was close to $ 800.00 with the 12K and 2 yr. brake service. It seems that they double billed the labor, on the brake service. Had the brakes done at CC, for about $ 140.00 and did the balance of sevice myself.

Can you say who the dealer is? Since Garden State BMW closed, I am looking for a new place to have service done. It will either be Metuchen or Philipsburg -- both are about 40 miles from me.

Do they at least have loaners, to ease the pain?

I have found the service at Metuchen, good. The only downside is the distance, and the nearest diner is a mile away. I'm in Chester, and if you ever need a ride, let me know. Most of the basic service is doable by you, and I have most of the tools. I have an RT and if you ever want to hook up, PM me.

Couldn't they give you an estimate in advance?

There's the rub ... I asked my dealer to do an aftermarket radio install in 2003 ... didn't ask for an estimate. It was something like $400 in labor. Ouch.

They rely, to the extent possible, on riders with stars in their eyes (and cash in their wallets). That said, installing accessories really does take hours, so we are talking fair prices here.

Blue Beemer Dude

Hmmm. Funny, I was thinking just a few days ago, I have a relatively new bike and a new car on the way (mini cooper S if anyone is curious) (and I refuse to capitalize mini smirk.gif) and so I hardly ever use my hand tools. I've probably got several thousand dollars worth of tools. Strike the probably. But after reading this, I realize that installing my own farkles, doing my own services, both on the bike and past cars (such as a 911) I have now easily paid for the tools. So it's just gravy from here on out.

Need to buy more farkles though... grin.gif

Michael

I appreciate you posting the numbers. I have the 12,000 mile and Annual coming up together in November so at least I know what I am getting in to. It doesn't seem too bad to me. The local Honda dealer runs $90.00/hour, but I am told they can do comparable work (never mind the frequency issue) in less time so the total cost is less. I don't know if that is true (I am sure there are some willing to weigh in on it). What caught me by surprise was the lead time neccesary to get into the shop...good thing I called when I did.

Don't want to mention names but it isn't in NJ...

To get there, did you ride through a tunnel named after the 16th president, or one named after a low-lying European country, or maybe over a bridge named after the first president? wink.gif

The lead time issue has always fascinated me when dealing with both dealers and small shops. This service was a two week wait. As a regular I'm sure the choices would improve. The smaller shops respond with "can you call me back next week"? Aren't we on the phone now? Can't you and I settle on a date to plan around now? I think there's tremendous opportunity out there for a well managed motorcycle service center.

You guys are too rich - here what I've done today.

Installed new rear tire $120 $5 mounting by a local car dealer( I installed front tire two weeks ago )

check the balance on a home made balancer $0. Installed new brake pads on the front $70 ( installed rear two weeks ago) . Checked and readjusted valves, re synced TB, installed aux lights bracket $0 - that's the second one I made. I didn't like the first one. Installed new highway pegs $130, put my name and phone number on the backside of side cases just in case they would be lost, replaced brake and tail light with LED lights $17 , remounted my GPS in new shelf which I made $3 pleasure from getting it all done by myself and knowing it's done right - priceless!!!

Mark

I'm booked in December - going to Rome Vienna Budapest and Krakow - but November is opened - well Nov 11-12-13th I'm in GA at Tech Dayz.

Appreciate the offer - Mark

Kinchy...

Get to a tech day brotha!!! None of that is hard, including mounting/wiring the lights. You could have a $1000 in your pocket, which will get you a new Russell saddle, or an new 'stich AND a new lid for your noggin!!

Or a bracelet for your significant other, or 2 day track school with Freddie Spencer, or a nice night playing poker, or a new Glock model 27 and ammo, or ...a nice set of tools!!!

Jim VonBaden
Mark,

How about a brief (paid for) vacation in Northern NJ?

Come down to our tech day in Bel Air, MD on the 15th and learn to do it yourself.

I do ALL my own maintenance, as well as farkle installation. It really isn't hard to do your own on an oilhead/hexhead/K bike.

I have done everything from a simple 36K to a head stud replacement to a FD/trans replacement and found the oilhead to be a great bike to work on.

Jim cool.gif

PS $400 is just plain too damn much for Motolight installation. It should have been less than half that!

I would prefer to do everything myself but I must have the stamp! $275 for a stamp. Livin' the dream baby! thumbsup.gif
Why must you have the stamp?

Kinchy - I hope they kissed you first because they sure screwed you! Five hours for those lights is OUTRAGEOUS. Even if they had never done the job before, any competent tech could do this job in a maximum of three hours, and 2 to 2.5 would be about right. And a lot of that other stuff could be done very quickly too. I agree with having the dealer do the 12K, but the other stuff was a waste of our hard-earned money, IMO

I agree, Bob. I put a pair of PIAA's on the KGT recently, and it took all of 3 hours. And, that was the first time I had taken off the tupperware, so I was very slow and cautious. Another time factor was being unfamiliar with the wiring points and possible routing.

Assuming I had to do it again, I could mount a set of auxilliary lights in an hour or two. If I already had the bike open for other work, it's a 45 minute job.

Sounds like they went off the service time factors in their service book and didn't give you any break on combining work. Think I would at least have growled for a few minutes on that bill.

But, are you happy with the work? Did they do a good job? As the commercial says, that's priceless (to a limit).

I'm happy. It's done. I don't have to deal with getting up there when the weather sucks. I won't be so cavalier next time. I do need to find an alternative that's closer...

Blue Beemer Dude
as well as farkle installation.

What is this?

Farkles are the gadgets and toys that we stick onto our motorcycles. If you own a Harley, then it refers to anything chromed.

Farkles are why our wives and SO's consider us to be nothing more than overgrown litle boys (and girls). grin.gif

Michael

Archived