IGNORED

Lowering the R1150RT

AlleyCat

Has anyone had any experience with the handling of the R1150RT after installing the Works Performance Schocks.

They claim the can lower the bike two inches. I was wondering how it would effect the handling? Thanks

Not a 1150 but I lowered my 1100 with those shocks, and not knowing what it was like with original shocks on it I can't tell you what might of changed. But I've got 66,000 miles on mine with the Works shocks on it and just love the way it handles, period. I've had them rebuit at the 30,000 mile mark, and again will have them rebuilt this winter. Only thing is that the side stand is a pain, now it's longer and you need to find the right spot to park to get the bike to lean over enough so it won't fall over. Not sure if I would go 2" lower, mine were to lower it 1" and I got the Sargent "low" seat to help out also.

Blue Beemer Dude

I understand that most people modify the center stand and side stand when they lower the bike.

Please keep us posted (or at least me!) if you do this. I'm thinking of getting Works shocks, and I'm debating on whether or not to lower it. I'm on my tip-toes as it is, but I don't want to lose too much ground clearance either.

Michael

I'd think twice about lowering your bike. Lowering the rear should have the effect of slowing the steering, since rake and trail will effectively increase. Also take into consideration your riding style. If you're pretty conservative, lowering it may be OK. But if you get aggressive in the twisties, cornering clearance on an RT is just adequate to start with, and 2" lower in the rear would make quite a bit of difference. Just my .02.

i lowered my 98rt 1" with the works 1" shorter shocks. yeah you have to find just the right spot to park it, and yeah you will no longer be scraping your bar ends on the twisty"s. but you will be able to have the seat on the middle setting and flatfoot it if you have a 32" inseam.

what is interesting is when it's on the center stand. the rt makes a very interesting seesaw...

perhaps i'll shorteen the sidestand. but for now i'll leave well enough alone

Please keep us posted (or at least me!) if you do this. I'm thinking of getting Works shocks, and I'm debating on whether or not to lower it. I'm on my tip-toes as it is, but I don't want to lose too much ground clearance either.

Michael

I'm in this Club also! I have a 28" inseam, so I see eye to eye with you on this. grin.gif I was thinking of the one inch shorter. So do keep us all posted. thumbsup.gif
Blue Beemer Dude
since i'm an eye-d it when it comes to pics who can i shoot a few pics to so you can post and see what my rt looks like 1" shorter??

All you need to do is select "I want to preview my post and/or attach a file" when you post a reply. Then on the next screen it will have a place for you to attach a file.

Or you can send it to me and I'll be glad to do it for you.

email it to: michaelatwork@yahoo.com

Michael

I'm debating on whether or not to lower it. I'm on my tip-toes as it is, but I don't want to lose too much ground clearance either.

I just got a Wunderlich Ergo Low Seat for my 2002 1150RT and it lowered everything just fine without messing with the suspension (my other option was shocks). It's got a very deep dishing in the middle and somewhat thinner (but maybe denser?) foam. It's comfy fine for my day-to-day commuting riding but I haven't had it out on a long ride yet (although Laura here swears by hers which is why I took the plunge).

Cost me $499 + shipping from Santa Cruz BMW. (Their original quote was $399 but that was a typo.) That's lots less then new shocks and a lot easier to install.

I'm 5'8" and 175lbs with a 30" inseam. With the stock seat (not the larger comfort one) on the lowest setting I was on the balls/tiptoes of my feet. With the Wunderlich I'm comfortably solid flat footing it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Jim

Hello Jim,

I suppose you purchased the wunderlich low seat (-40mm lower than the standard one). You said you flat foot now. Both feet? Still any trip to evaluate comfort?

I am in the market for a R1150RT, and I suppose that one of the first goddies I will purchase is the low seat.

Thanks in advance

Nick

I suppose you purchased the wunderlich low seat (-40mm lower than the standard one). You said you flat foot now. Both feet? Still any trip to evaluate comfort?

Yep, that's the one. I believe it's the Ergo Low Seat officially (Part #8160342). I'm 5'9" (with shoes/boots) 5'8" in socks. My inseam is 30" & about 175-180lbs. With the stock '02 seat set on the lowest setting (the current stock seat is a taller, wider seat that was the "comfort seat" in '02) I was either 1 footing it or tip-toeing. Stopping with 1 foot down isn't a real problem but walking the bike on tip-toes (backing up, slow forward under power, etc.) just doesn't inspire confidence - the bike seems very unwieldy that way. With the Wunderlich both of my feet are flat on the ground with air between my crotch & seat too.

I commute about 20ish miles each way with a 50/50 highway/rural mix -- figure a half-hour on good days & up to an hour when the highway backs up. I don't have an issue with the seat comfort. But then I didn't have an issue with the stock seat and I know there are folks who think those feel like pokers up their butts so YMMV.

I figured for really long rides I could always add a sheepskin pad or switch back to the stock seat or just give in to my aging bladder and stop every 90 minutes or so for a bathroom & walkabout break.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the info.

We are almost identical (height, weight, etc..). So I guest I will go for that seat too, but then I will have to purchase the pillion seat to match. Is that correct? In Europe it costs almost euros 800 !!!

Thanks again

Nick

Archived