IGNORED

Russell - Leather vs. Vinyl

stager

I have leather Russell seat on my K100 and it's great...but I've alway been paranoid about rain. I'm getting ready to order a new seat for my R1150RT (my butt has been begging for this since I got the bike!!)..and I'm not sure whether to go with vinyl or pay the extra and get leather again. Any thoughts about the advantages / disadvantages of leather vs. vinyl in regard to comfort and maintenance??

I think leather is more comfortable and less slippery. I never worry about rain; the leather just dries out and it's back to normal. Besides, horse saddles have been leather for years and used in the rain. Good leather is much more durable than many people think. My recommendation is to go with the leather.

Based on my own experience over the years, the real issue with custom seats in the rain are the stitch holes. The water pools in the seat and leaks into the foam via the stich holes. Then it takes FOREVER to get the foam dried out. I cover my Russell before it gets rained on in the parking lot, or if there wil be dew and I am parking uncovered. I don't much worry about it when I am riding. I have the leather seating surfaces on my Russell. Stitched into the "small squares" pattern. I believe that the leather is grippier and breathes better than vinyl. I treat the seat with Lexol cleaner and conditioner every couple of months. 94k and no cracks yet. Some of the stitching has worn away. I like the leather.

The leather is durable and breathable. The rain has been a non issue because I always treat the leather with mink oil, working it well into the seams. The water beads up and rolls off. If you park your bike without a cover, leave it on the side stand so that the water doesn't just sit in the pocket. I reapply the oil before any long trip where I'm likely to encounter rain and whenever I wash the bike (once a year or so blush.gif )

Dust the seat well. If you want to clean it thoroughly before oiling it, use a good saddle soap, slather on the mink oil and let it sit for a bit and wipe off the excess.

My Russell has about 70,000 miles on it and looks perfect. Of course the seat is usually covered, either by the garage roof or my butt! wink.gif

I have a leather Russell and and am very glad I went that way. The leather is much more comfortable in both hot and cold weather, and with minimal proper care will hold up just fine in the elements. As mentioned, the issue with rain has more to do with the amount of stitching than the material itself. You might want to try the half-moon pattern; besides looking good it has much less stitching than the others.

I wash the bike (once a year or so blush.gif )

Well, now I don't feel so bad about not washing my bike since July. dopeslap.gif

"Wash" a Bike, what's that?

On the Leather\Vinyl question.. Go with leather.. much more comfortable, and better looking too.. I've had leather on a Russel and a couple of Bill Mayer seats over the years. Leather seems to not get as hot and sticky as vinyl. It's also been explained to me by the saddle pros that vinyl stretchs in one direction, while leather stretchs in 2 directions, hence beeing more comfortable and compliant.

Craig

What riding gear do you normally wear? Rick Mayer recommends leather with this caveat: if you wear a Stitch or cordura riding pants, you will feel zero difference between vinyl and leather.

What riding gear do you normally wear? Rick Mayer recommends leather with this caveat: if you wear a Stitch or cordura riding pants, you will feel zero difference between vinyl and leather.

Well that's an interesting question! wink.gif

Leslie and I both have full leather Russells and we both used to wear full-leather riding gear (deerskins from Thurlow Leatherworld). Leslie has since switched to Belstaff (cordura) riding gear and now she's fighting the dreaded "slide"--a problem she didn't have in the first 60,000 miles on the leather Russell wearing deerskins. I added some home-made "seat jacks" to her saddle to try to help keep her planted in "the pocket", which she says has helped a bit. I can see the logic in that remark (re: riding gear vs saddle covering), as I don't feel any problems with the leather-on-leather from either a sliding or a breathability standpoint. Keep it well-oiled with mink oil and it'll last forever. My Russell has about 95,000 miles on it and it is just now starting to show some wear on a few of the seams. I have to admit I haven't oiled it since before the UnRally in June and we had LOTS of rain on the way home (tropical storm Arlene! eek.gif ).

Archived