IGNORED

A stupid helmet question

madness522

Sorry for such a stupid question but I can't figure this out and don't want to force and break it. I have an HJC CL-Max helmet with the flip up chin piece and scratched face shield. How in the heck does a person get the face screen off without forcing it and risking breaking something? HJC says it easy to remove and replace. Guess this is why I have trouble with childproof bottles too.....

Thanks!

Do not force it off. My HJC CL-14 (non-flip) has two grey levers on either side of the face shield. You just move those levers and the shield comes right off. Since you have a different model, YMMV. Consult an authorized dealer or contact HJC directly for advice.

Honestly, had I known the shield on my HJC was so difficult and stressfull to switch out I would not have gotten it. I carry a clear visor on my tank bag but never put it on because I'm afraid I'll break the many small moving parts on the helmet.

My chin piece does not move up but Dan is correct about the grey arrows. You push them forward which releases a small cammed plastic c-channel that holds the visor in. Getting it off is the easy part.

To replace it you slide the visor into the C-channel then rock it back in. I think. For me it's five minutes of trying this then a two minute break to walk around and cool off then five minutes back at it. It usually takes me about fifteen minutes to get it in.

Or take it in and have the dealer do it...

Good Luck!

15 minutes and some head banging huh? Sounds like it could be a bit of trouble. I saw the tabs but never made to connection to push them forward at the same time. I took out the liner and ear pieces and even removed the whole chin part. Got it good and clean but still a scratch. I'll give both tabs a try when I get home.

Thanks everyone!

I used to feel the same way about changing shields on my HJC symax.After some study and many changes I have it down to about 2 minutes to swap shields.I carry 2 spares in my tank bag- one clear w/fog city no fog film applied and one new clear for night. Once you get used to it HJC's system is pretty good. I haven't broken any little plastic doohickies yet although I agree it feels like it could happen.Three years on this helmet.

I too have it down to about a 2 minute process. It is harder to load a "colored" or reflective shield as you can't see the cams line up with the shield. The clear one is easiest to mount. Practice with a clear one first. It will make the others easier.

Archived