IGNORED

used K1200RS - need advice

easyman05

Need your advice!! If buying a used K1200RS with 11000 miles on the clock, 2002, what to pay attention to? During test-ride? What is the most expensive service? At what mileage? Thanks in advance.

Aluminum_Butt

There are many here more qualified to tell you what to look for, but I can comment on the service.

Assuming it's on schedule up to now, the next service interval will be at 12k. It's a big one. Here's a link to the specifics: KRS Service Intervals

Depending on the former owner, it may also be due for an "annual" - mostly brake fluid change.

For both of these combined on one visit, my dealer would probably get $400.

I'd think you might be getting close to a battery replacement, as well.

Good luck! thumbsup.gif

I need to emphasize on the brake fluid service; I would skip it if it wasn't done at least every 2 years. Neglect to do it will show up down the line, and it's a very expensive system.

Also look for the rest of the maintenance. I wouldn't worry who did it (I do mine grin.gif), as long as it was done. The biggest worry on these bikes are seal failures, and those can happen at any mileage. Other minor issues are timing cover oil leaks (I had it, and still have it after an ill attempt to correct it), not-so-perfect cold starting (some ECU replacements take care of it; mine did partially, but it's not really a big deal), and fuel quick-disconnect problems due to them being plastic (you can buy metal ones).

At 11K miles, only oil changes and brake bleeding had to be done. The fuel recall was a joke since it didn't solve the problem, and the ECU replacement was a 'campaign', and you have until the end of the year to act on it. Give the VIN to any dealer and they can tell you what has been done to the bike by any dealership. You'll have a biggie at 12K, with plugs, fuel filter, air filter, all fluids, valve check/adjustment, etc. The good news is you can do all of that yourself with the possible exception of the valves, but you can easily check them though (turn it to the dealer if they need adjustment). I'd go for it. It's a fantastic bike. Keep us posted.

I owned a '99 K1200RS for 7 years. In fact, I just sold it about a month ago. I think that you'll find it to be one of the finest motorcycles that you'll ever own. There is nothing that it doesn't do well. The services on the K12RS are no more expensive than other BMWs.

Concerning my specific experiences, I had a leaky cam chain cover at about 15,000, and that was the only service malody.

I highly recommend the bike, and I think that you'll be very happy with it.

Phil

'02 with 11K miles is probably a pamered baby.

Mine had the traditional left valve cover leak, the right upper fork seal leak all fixed under warranty. I skipped the 12k service and had the above leaks and brake bleed done at 22K this spring.

Other than that, the brake pads are probably close to due.

The '02 is a GREAT bike. Just get the best deal on it if you like it. THen start your wish list of upgrades. LOL That's when the REAL money will be spent. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

At 11k miles, the bike is barely broken in. It should still be running on dino oil. The next major service is at 12k miles which will run about 5 bills at your average dealer. I'd ask for proof that the break-in service (at 600 miles) and any other dealer serices and oil changes were performed. If the seller can't prove any services were done, I'd pass.

I had a 1998 Taxicab K1200RS with Ohlins shocks and Marvic Maegesium wheels, it was an import from the Netherlands, speedo was in kilometer. Over 9 months of owership, I put over 18,000 km on it in cluding a 22 hour trip from Philadelphia, PA to Key West, FL during Thanksgiving of 2002.

It was too heavy of a bike for me, I just could not make it feel nimble.

At 12,000 miles on the odomoeter you might bee looking to replace tires, oil/filter change, valve adjustments, final drive fluid change, brake/clutch fluid change, coolant change. That ABS/servo assist brake system is easy to deal with if you have the tool, or just make one yourself.

Check wheel bearings, steering bearings, lube side/centerstand, etc.. earlier K1200RS model tend to get their wheels dented easier.

Make sure the battery is in good shape, if not, replace rightaway if the starter relay has not been updated, older starter replay tend to fry itself when battery is weak.

Those K12 engine hardly ever have problem.

I'm sure you are going to love the test ride, and if you shouldn't notice anything out of the ordinary. These bikes tend to get away from you, just a small warning.

The maintanence is stardard BMW. Changing the fluids and filters is really straightforward. You might want to switch to synth. I put in mobil 1 around 6k. It really depends on how much oil is being consumed. My bike was buring about .25 qt at 6k miles, so I switched. I'm sure the owner was meticulous about his record keeping, name me a beemer owner whom isn't! If you do decide to get the bike, then more power to you... best damn machine on the road!

ONON-

Mark

'04 K12RS Zebra

You NEED to ride it on several different roads at several speeds and see if you get any "wobble" or "swaying". Deffinately around traffic / trucks. It will feel sort of like a wiggle as you go down the road. It just will not track smoothly. A result of bike alignment ( engine to frame to wheels), tires, ball joints, or a combo of the same.

Need your advice!! If buying a used K1200RS with 11000 miles on the clock, 2002, what to pay attention to?

Your license

During test-ride?

See above

What is the most expensive service?

The one you don't perform blush.gif kidding. Actually, the valves seem to take a set (or seat depending on who you're talking to) after the first inspection. K-bikes are pretty much gas/oil/go.

At what mileage?

I think there is a first check at 6K and then 12K after that. I frankly don't remember though. While much more involved than an oilhead, valve adjusts are within the grasp of the back-yard mechanic. FWIW though, I had a minor valve adjust done at about 38K or so on a '93K-bike, and they stayed (roughly) within spec for the next ~130K miles.

Thanks in advance.

thumbsup.gif

Archived