IGNORED

heated stuff dilemma...

jimswms

I've got a bit of a dilemma. I own a Widder vest, sleeves and gloves. I bought the gear this summer on ebay, so, admittedly haven't really tried any of it out yet, other than plugging it in to make sure it works. I got a great deal on the set.

Sooo, with that in mind, my dilemma.. I bought a Darien with the standard liner 4 months or so ago, and love the jacket. At the time, I was considering the windblock electric liner instead of the standard, and decided to instead go with the standard and find other heated clothing used, which I did.

I find the widder sleeves to be really quirky and just kinda weird. Knowing me, I'll use the vest often, but, I doubt I'll use the sleeves much. Then, I might be saying, damn, why didn't I buy a heated liner instead (aerostich or gerbings). Of course, that leaves me with no way to plug in the widder gloves, unless running separate wires, but, those things are so heavy, I can't imagine really needing the heat!

I'm thinking if I would've gone with the aerostich heated originally, I'd always have the heated gear on, when I need it, rather than adding another layer (with the vest).

I guess I'm wondering what folks think about all this, AND, if you've got an opinion on the Aerostich windblock heated liner. Oh, I contacted Aerostich, and they will take my original liner as return, since it is unused, and apply the balance to a new heated liner. Around $90, which I could probably get for the widder vest/sleeves on ebay, so, I'd more or less break even.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim

I had two liners of theres go out on me in a period of two years. They did give me my money back, kudo's to them. thumbsup.gif I went with Gerbings, and they will repair, no questions asked, for the life of the liner.

I had a Widder vest with the gloves and wires down my arms, etc. Wore that for a few years, thought it was OK. Then I went out one morning (17F) and stopped over at a nearby Honda dealer and bought a Gerbing jacket with heated collar - WOW, what a difference. Reworked the wiring so my gloves would connect, and I've been out all day in the 30's and been pretty comfortable. Rode down to Daytona the last 2 years in early March for the Iron Butt Dinner. Both years the temp didn't hit 40 til I was waaay down the east coast, top of NC, and I WAS FINE! Go get that Gerbing!

Stuart Ostroff, Phila, riding all year! thumbsup.gif

I can't comment on the Gerbing stuff - though it always seem to get high marks from it's users. However, I use the Widder stuff - vest, arm chaps, leg chaps & gloves. I used to use the Aerostich, but like the Widder much better. I usually just use the vest w/arms unless it's in the 30's, then I add the other stuff. I am perfectly comfortable down to 30 (I rarely have the opportunity to ride any colder than that). The rheostat also is very worthwhile. I like how the Widder is very form fitting, so you really feel the heat quickly & intensely. I also like how modular & easy to pack the components are. The Aerostich may put out more heat, but doesn't fit as tight, so you don't feel it as much, plus it can get too hot if the outside temps rise - I just didn't like the bulkiness.

I've used the Widder for 3 seasons & am very pleased.

thanks everybody. Good points all round! If anybody new reads this, please put in your $.02!

I have the Gerbings jacket, gloves, and socks. I have ridden a fair distance in temperatures below freezing, and couldn't have been more comfortable. I have the rheostat type controller, and never had to turn it up more than half way. All of the heated items connect to each other.

Had teh widder with sleeves, then went with a Gerbing jacket.. Widder was then sold off.. The Widder works well, and for a bike with low altenator power output would be ideal.. The gerbing has a higher wattage, and throughs more heat. No experience with the Aerostitch liner, but am on my second Roadcrafter.

Craig

I've got the Gerbing jacket liner. I've taken extended rides down to upper teens temperaure, and comfortable. I just use regular, unlined gloves until temps are much below freezing, then I switch to Gander Mountain insulated gloves. Of course, that's with heated hand grips running on high. I love the Gerbing, but I've often wondered if I wouldn't have been satisfied with just a vest. I've never tried one. (No, I don't want to trade!) And for pants I wear First Gear HT overpants. Toes get a little cold sometimes, even behind the jugs.

I have the Widder vest and gloves and like them, except the vest seems to get a lot hotter than the gloves (I don't have the thermostat control switch so I turn them on and off while riding). I don't have any experience with other heated stuff. Since you already have the Widder stuff, why not use it this winter and see what you like and don't like about it before you buy into Gerbing or Aerostich? Just a suggestion to save you some $$$ ...

Jim VonBaden

I used the Widder set (vest with collar, arm chaps, gloves, and leg chaps) last year down into single digits and was very comfortable. The gloves are so good that I don't usually turn them on until well below 30 degrees.

That said, I am buying the Gerbings set this year. I ride a lot in the cold, and the Widder chaps are a real pain in the @ss to put on and take off, and the gloves are too bulky. The $200 I saved by buying Widder wasn't worth it.

Jim cool.gif

Archived