IGNORED

auxilliary light switch question

H C Edwards

I want to add some auxillary lights to my GS. I've searched the archives here and ADVRider to read posts about various types. I'm down to Hella Micro DE Fog, piaa 1100x, or piaa 510. I've got to put them down on the HB crash bars, since I'm using an aeroflow, or I'd only look at the 510. I don't want a pencil beam, but I want something that reaches farther than the stock. Anyway, I've priced on e-bay, but I have a question the vendors are unwilling or unable to answer. When you buy a piaa kit, such as the 1100x, part #1192, is the switch that comes with the kit suitable for motorcycles? I've seen some on bikes, but I don't know if it's the original switch. Small, black, illuminated push button, that looks like it would be adhesive backed for mounting. And waterproof. I thought I read somewhere the 1192 harness and switch are for cars, not bikes. Advice/experience appreciated.

You could just order the AutoSwitch from Cyclegadgets and run them that way.....it uses the cancel switch for your turn signals to power on / off your aux lights ......very nice plug and play for about $ 25.00

I use those same PIAA 1100Xs and the switch you mention on my RT. I mounted the switch with the velcro provided where my on/off light switch would be if I had the EuroSwitch. That way I can easily reach it with my right thumb though I always leave them on unless I'm in traffic, on the slab, at night. Truckers really don't like the light they put out but then, I'm rarely on the slab.

The switch has worked flawlessly for nearly 4 years and has certainly been through all kinds of weather. I would say that yes, it is suitable.

Mounting the PIAAs where you plan, have you considered the Motolights? They're initially a little more expensive but over the long haul, probably less so. Replacement bulbs are about 1/3rd the cost and you can get a variety of wattages for more customized lighting. PIAAs are great but if I had it to do all over again, I'd probably go with the Motolights. Don't know about their switches though.

Small, black, illuminated push button, that looks like it would be adhesive backed for mounting.
Yeah that's the stock PIAA switch. 100s of them out there on bikes with nary an issue.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I ordered the piaa 1100x from a place called euro parts direct in New York. Unlike a lot of e-bay vendors, they had an 800 number. They promptly returned my call, the guy was knowledgable about the product (described the switch in detail), said he had sold a ton to motorcyclists, etc. $159, free shipping. So I bought them. Sick of looking at all the alternatives.

Mike - Didn't want to spend the $$$ for motolights. What I really wanted would be the Hella Micro DE in a halogen driving light, as opposed to fog, but all they offer is fog or HID. I'll spend the bucks (Jesse, aeroflow) when it's a product I really want or need, but I don't do that much night riding to want to invest big $$$. And the piaa 1100x's appeared to have pretty high owner satisfaction.

Thanks again.

The auto looks like a great idea, but the ad says it's not for my 1200GS.
I haven't installed an autoswitch on a CAN-BUS bike yet, but it's such a high impedance device I can't imagine it's an issue.

Has anyone tried it yet?

Blue Beemer Dude

$159 sounds like an awesome price for the PIAAs! They are great lights, and I also recommend the autoswitch if you discover that it will work for your bike.

Michael

Ken,

I called them when I was setting my lights up on my GS and they said they won't have something out for awhile yet that will work with the canbus. You've installed them before and know how slick it is. I have one on my RT and love it which is why I wanted it for the GS too. bncry.gif

So Howard,

Maybe this switch location (bottom left and right)will work for your new Piaa's. It was convienient for me and easy to reach and see the led indicator light. You may not like the light set-up but the swith location may work for you. It was the flatest area I could find and hide the wiring neatly. The double back tape PIAA supplies is very good quality stuff.

GSlightswithch.jpg

My lighting set up on the GS may be overkill but it's my way of saying "can you see me know" Los Angeles isn't the most bike friendly riding experience you'll ever have.

And they work pretty well at night too. grin.gif

GSlightswebsize.jpg

I replaced the OEM bulbs with PIAA Extreme White bulbs as well.

That looks like you'd be seen, Tool Man. I couldn't use that type light bar without hacking off some of the aeroflow. I definetly would have preferred that mounting location compared to the crash bars. Interesting location for the switches. Don't think I've seen any there. My plan is to mount it on the inside of the left hand guard, about where I can hit it with my index finger. I actually haven't got that far yet. I'm waiting until I actually get it. Thanks for the photos.

Archived