IGNORED

Insurance on R1200ST.

wilsons

Subject says it all.

My dad got a quote on a FJR he's 58, and they quoted him 800 a year. that scares me. im (almost) 26, and am wondering what they whould reem me for on the ST.

Progressive.com can estimate your costs on-line.

It's going to vary by (AT LEAST):

1. Driving record.

2. Demographics (age)

3. Credit rating

4. Specific vehicle model

5. Zip Code

Makes it very tough to compare even with someone in "similar" circumstances.

Progressive is about $400 a year for me for the ST, which is about $100 more than my R1100RS. I have my R27 with them too, which gives multi-bike discount. The R27 is cheap to insure for pl/pd only and I get a vintage bike discount with no "mandatory catastrophic coverage". The MCC is about $125 state tax/insurance collected by ins. companies for the state. I am a home owner, married, 2 kids, 39 yrs old, riding 20 years and have very good credit. I included all my personal info to give an accurate picture of what I pay. Other persoanl items: no tickets in a few years, no accidents since 2000, and I am a Pisces

Lets_Play_Two

It really is all about location and a bunch of other variables. I have been insured through Motorcycle Services LLC for the last two years. This is the second time I got a non-renewal notice (compnay not writing insurance in Florida). So I have done the insurance shopping routine. I am old, safe and responsible, and a Leo. Progressive wants $3000 a year for two bikes, an '01 H-D and an '03 RT. Geico quoted me around $1000 for the two bikes. I finally settled on Allstate (they insure my cars) for about $900 for the two including guest liability (I am single so my passenger would be unrelated).

This is for 100/300 liability and the same for uninsured motorist coverage (this is the most costly part of your coverage, and my guess is that most riders do not have uninsured motorist coverage if they are only paying $300-$400 per year in total. The guest liability is 100/300 and that adds about $150 to the bill (cheaper than marrying her). Deductibles are $1000. Since I also have auto insurance with Allstate, the uninsured motorist coverage is stacked with my auto policy, but still costs $380 per year for both bikes.

Progressive.com can estimate your costs on-line.

It's going to vary by (AT LEAST):

1. Driving record.

2. Demographics (age)

3. Credit rating

4. Specific vehicle model

5. Zip Code

Makes it very tough to compare even with someone in "similar" circumstances.

Here in BC (western canada) our pinheaded government-run insurance company (the only player in the game) uses NONE of the above criteria, except the first one, and to a much lesser degree, the 5th one. Their basic rates are set by displacement and displacement ONLY. As a result, my sedate '86 K100RT tourer, costs way more than some 20 year old kid on a 600cc crotch rocket pays.

In fact, the basic insurance for my bike (that covers only damage done to others, not to the bike) costs almost EXACTLY the same the same coverage on my car. They seem unable to answer the question "How much damage to others can a bike do, as compared to a car in the same accident situation?"

Bob.

for a comparison, I just ran a quote using a married, 25 year old male, with a clean record, in southeast kansas, limits of liability of 50/100/50, um, $500 deductibles on comp and collision, NO medical or PIP, no other discounts the annual premium is $291.00

You need to check yourself because of all of the varitables.

HTH,

Rob Lessen

Arma, KS

too many toys

Wow, I guess it really matters where you live. We have my RT and wifes HD DynaWideGlide insured in Minnesota - Twin Cities zip. Our coverages are similar to Bill's with the exception of deductable - ours is $250. We are mid 50's with no tickets, my wife had an "at fault" accident 2 years ago ( not real costly - 1k on bike and an emergency room visit ).

We pay $470 per year for both bikes - Dairyland Ins.

In fact, the basic insurance for my bike (that covers only damage done to others, not to the bike) costs almost EXACTLY the same the same coverage on my car. They seem unable to answer the question "How much damage to others can a bike do, as compared to a car in the same accident situation?"

Bob.

I should have mentioned that the basic insurance I was referring to for my K100RT here in the Vancouver area, is (wait for this!) $750.00 canadian (about $640 US). AS I mentioned, this is a standard rate and our government insurance does not take age, or type of bike into consideration.

This ripoff ONLY covers damage you do (assuming you are at fault) to OTHERS. So-called "own damage" (damage to your own bike as a result of an at-fault accident, or theft, or vandalism) costs almost $1000 more!!

Bob.

Archived