IGNORED

Need an alternate way to attach BMW tank bag

Willie

When I bought my RT the guy told me that the velcro peices that are supposed to be stuck to the bottom of the tank were missing, so I couldn't attach the tank bag that came with the bike. Is there any other way to attach the bottom peice of the tank bag without using those velcro strips? I tried sticking the velcro strips to each other that are on the leather peice attached to the bag. Then I ran a peice of wire through them and looped the wire around the 2 screws under the seat that hold on the fairing. Seemed to be the beginning of a good idea, but need heavier wire and needs ends put on it that won't twist as the fairing screws are tightened. Any other ideas??? Thanks, Terry

just buy new velcro for the bike from your dealer, or online from somewhere like Chicago BMW. It is cheap, easy to fit and works. Why re-invent the wheel?

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

I had a Multivario bag on my K75 that cost too much to give away and the guy I sold the bike to didn't want it. After some noodling, I bought some 1" webbing and 2 sets of male/female plastic expansion clips. I affixed a the female clips to some webbing and mounted them using the screws that hold the tank fairing piece below the handlebars. I did the same thing to the screws below the nose of the seat on that same gas tank fairing piece. You can affix the opposing buckle parts to the tank bag base and clip it to the other mounted clips. Allows you to unzip the bag to fill the tank, and remove the bag if you want. Others may have better ideas, but this one works for me. I also bought a Marsee bag with 2 sets of attachment straps. This allows me to transfer the Marsee bag between bikes. Lots of options, go for it. Good luck and ride safely.

just buy new velcro for the bike from your dealer, or online from somewhere like Chicago BMW. It is cheap, easy to fit and works. Why re-invent the wheel?

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Wasn't trying to re-invent, just improve I guess. The velcro didn't seem to work out too well for the previous owner, so I figured it was a kind of fragile setup. Terry

Wasn't trying to re-invent, just improve I guess. The velcro didn't seem to work out too well for the previous owner, so I figured it was a kind of fragile setup. Terry

It's not velcro (which uses a fuzzy cloth-like material for one of the mating surfaces.) The stuff for the BMW tank bag uses a heavier nylon (?) hook and loop material that provides a mechanical interlocking action. I think the material is made by 3M. It does have a BMW part number. If you don't want to buy OEM, I believe RiderWearhouse has it in their catalog and lots of the big home hardware stores carry the stuff. I'm not sure what kind of problems the previous owner had with using the material; I am amazed at how WELL it works on my RT. It's not fragile; it is surprizingly strong; lots of guys use it to mount radar detectors and other such devices on accessory shelf or mounting plates.

FWIW.

I had the same problem with the velcro on my RT.

What I finally did was to take a small flexible piece of stainless steel. (Mine came from the innards of an old HP electronic equipment carrying handle)

I drilled it to match the holes that hold the back of the tank plastic down by the seat, just above the battery.

Unscrewed the two screws, and took one end of the stainless strap and loosely put one of the screws through one of the holes on the strap and screwed it back down. Then slipped the end of the tankbag piece under the stainless steel strap and put the second screw back in.

It holds just great. It easily comes off when you have to remove the tupperware and cannot be seen when the seat is in place.

3M makes it and its called dual lock. I bought a used BMW tank bag from the for sale board here. I bought them at Radio Shack for like $4.00. Saw them at Target a day or so later for under $3.00. It took about a strip and a half each to match the mating surfaces of the leather bag attacher. The biggest thing I don't like about this bag is the leather bag attacher flopping there and I end up sitting on it most of the time since I only use the tank bag for real rides and not daily commutes to work. PIA to have to take off the seat to remove it. Think I will look at other bags next.

Archived