IGNORED

Source for a spark plug socket that fits an 4-valve oilhead?

313_Matt

So I was checking the plugs in the R850 last weekend. My (Craftsman) park plug socket doesn't fit down into the hole. (I know fitting 4 valves into the package was tight for the BMW engineers, I guess I didn't realize how tight!) I used the one that came with the tool kit. While it works for now, I have had that type go bad in the past. I would rather have that one on the bike for emergencies and use a traditonal socket at home.

The BMW dealer sells a tool for a whopping $57. I would think one of the high end tool companies would have one for less. Anyone found one?

Thanks.

313-Matt

A gentleman on this board was turning down Craftsman sockets for a VERY reasonable fee last year, I was lucky to get one. It's perfect.

Seems like a machinist could do this easily.

Yeah, that's my next stop. Unfortunately, I don't work in a building with a tool shop right now.

I wonder if Snap-On or S&K would have a 'thin wall' 5/8" spark plug socket.

313-Matt

ShovelStrokeEd

Snap-On does. Don't have the number right to hand.

5 bucks for a cheap 3/8 drive small socket and just have a welder TIG weld it to the end of the tool kit jobbie and your done. I brazed mine and it works like a dream.

i bought a finishing nut (capped so the bolt is covered) that fit perfectly (the rounded part of the nut in) in the end of the oem spark plug remover tool. it was 11mm. this size fit best as the rounded end fit in the opening, but the nut portion sat up on the round pipe of the tool. i then had a welder weld it on for $5. my tool now has a 11mm nut at the end ready for a 11mm socket & torque wrench. it takes up no more room in the tool rap. with that the hole is still exposed at the end so i can change a plug on the side of the road (using the screwdriver throught the hole), plus i have my tool always with me so if i can borrow a torque wrench (say from a shop when i'm on tour/ or if i'm at a tech day to loan it out) i can torque it right. best of both worlds!

So I was checking the plugs in the R850 last weekend. My (Craftsman) park plug socket doesn't fit down into the hole. (I know fitting 4 valves into the package was tight for the BMW engineers, I guess I didn't realize how tight!) I used the one that came with the tool kit. While it works for now, I have had that type go bad in the past. I would rather have that one on the bike for emergencies and use a traditonal socket at home.

The BMW dealer sells a tool for a whopping $57. I would think one of the high end tool companies would have one for less. Anyone found one?

Thanks.

313-Matt

how did you have the bmw tool go bad? i'm on my second oilhead (same tool) and i've replaced plugs, removed for valve adjustment & loaned out for others to be able to torque. the tools is fine. it's of a quality metal and it only get torqued to 11 ft lbs. did yours crack or something or are you refearing to other mfg spark plug tools failing you in the past??? has anyone else had the bmw tool fail? mine has seen well over 100 uses and going strong.

DavidEBSmith
I am guessing this one:

No, that's the shallow one. You want the deep socket, part number S9720KA. (It's a 5/8" socket, right, not a 13/16"?)

There was a Husky or Kobalt socket that somebody found that worked. Or you could use the short socket and a locking extension. Or turn down a Craftsman socket so it's thin enough. Or get the BMW spark plug removal tool. But the deep Snap-On socket is the one that I have that I know is deep enough that it fits in and extends out of the spark plug hole.

And it's 5 cents cheaper than the BMW tool. thumbsup.gif

...did yours crack or something or are you refearing to other mfg spark plug tools failing you in the past???

It was another tool of similar design to the one in the BMW tool kit. It stretched out and was useless after a dozen or so uses. I don't know if the BMW tool will do the same or not. I am not claiming it will. I just prefer to have quality tools - it makes doing those little jobs much more enjoyable. cool.gif

Oh, and you can get the torque right. thumbsup.gif

313-Matt

Kobalt Tools (a Snap-On product found at Leowe's (sp?) fits the plug in my 1150RT. Search for threads with "Kobalt" in them.

Archived