IGNORED

R 1200RT and the radio

Whip

I noticed...when the engine is off and the radio is on....the am works better...could be some kind of shielding problem...anyone else?????????????

Larry

Me too, the white noise hiss gets louder!

In this day and age how can factory with the reputation of BMW put this piece of crap in a motorcycle and charge $1600 for it.

My CD also skips on every expansion joint, thank goodness for ipods.

my am doesn't work at all... FM reception is marginal. CD skip's at the slightest jolt.. IMHO, I'd pass on the radio if I was buying today.

If it is any comfort my Gl1800 was about as bad. I put rear speakers in the top case of the Honda and it made a huge difference in the sound. That is obviously not a possibility on the top case of our R12Rt's. I think the radio reception is about the same but the noise, like the Gl1800 is because we have the radios so high to hear them it sounds terrible.

Interesting comment about rear speakers. My former ride, a K1200LT came with front and rear speakers and the sound was quite good. I wonder if the rear speakers had a lot to do with that - maybe more amp power too. Also, the LT radio and CD changer worked well; I don't know how BMW could go so wrong on R12RT audio.

Brian

It's my one major complaint. There must be some kind of fix. Seems like some sort of "class action" effort might be made to address the problem - can't imagaine that BMW is not aware of the problem. I suspect it is a shielding issue also. Very frustrating!

Hellow, I just bought my 12rt and it has the raido prep kit. My question is do I buy the bmw raido, or wait for something better. I had a raido on my 03 rt & it was ok. I,m getting the impression the new raido is not as good as the older ones.

My advice is to wail until the problem is corrected. Use the money for an electrified tank bag with XM & iPod - you'll still come out ahead, plus you can then move it to another bike.

Yes to all.

Feels like it needs a supressor to cut out the background engine noise and the 03 radio was a better unit.

Nevertheless, GREAT BIKE thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the advice on the radio, I hope BMW addresses this soon because there is nothing better than riding and listen to tunes!

Larry,

I never listen to AM but I checked and it does work. When I'm riding locally I listen to the FM, but when I'm traveling I use my Ipod with an Itrip FM transmiter. It also works great.

Archived