IGNORED

'04 R1150RT Fuse Box

Bic61

In connecting power for a recently added Zumo I referred to the wiring diagram in my Clymer Manual. It shows Fuse 8 as the radio circuit, and since I don't have a radio, I pulled that fuse and tapped into power there. Turns out that circuit is actually the low beam and speedo/tach light - so now I'm not sure I can trust this wiring diagram. My question - are there any unused fuse loctions on the '04 RT? The diagram in question shows Fuse 9 unused - is that true?

On the 2002 RT, fuse #3 goes to the red/white striped wire to the radio and is hot all the time. Fuse #8 goes to the purple and ?black radio wire. It is hot except when the ignition is in the "locked", fully counter-clockwise position. It should be the only load on that fuse. I would be surprised that it's not the same on the 2004. Are you sure you counted correctly?

Put a test light on the wires and start pulling fuses until you find the correct one.

First question to ask is: do you want switched or unswitched power? Also ask where you can tap on and still get to the inline fuse for the Zumo harness.

---

On my '04 Fuse #3 is to the LCD display (verified by pulling the fuse) - this is also what my wiring diagram shows, so I think I'm counting them right. I checked Fuse # 9 by removing it tonight and checking with a multimeter - found it to be switched (as is #8)and connected to the high beam. I was hoping that an accurate wiring diagram (assuming the bike is wired per design & not reworked at some time - I bought it used) would prevent me from trial and error finding out what is downstream in each circuit - looks like I may have to continue trial & error. If no fuse loacations are unused I'll just take a different approach to tapping into power for the Zumo.

My original setup was to power the Zumo switched, but I could live with unswitched. With the wiring harness routed as I have it now the in-line Zumo fuse holder is under the seat - an unused fuse location would make a really clean & easy place to tap into power if available.

I have the BMW GPS(Garmin 2610). The BMW installation kit for my GPS taps into the accessory outlet wiring on the side under the seat. Those outlets are protected by a 4amp fuse.

I have the BMW GPS(Garmin 2610). The BMW installation kit for my GPS taps into the accessory outlet wiring on the side under the seat. Those outlets are protected by a 4amp fuse.

Sounds like a good place to tap for power given my current harness routing (and the fact that there appears to be no unused fuse locations in the fuse box). Thanks for the idea.

Don I would not go into the fuse box. Just splice into the wiring at the accessory plug. That is what the BMW kit did for my installation. The inside of the fuse box is just loose wiring and if you make a mistake it could be hard to find.

Archived