IGNORED

Parked for 2 months +-.....may not start

star57

confused.gifMy 04RT is in transit with Haulbikes.com, it may not have been started for over a month, batter may be dead....any recomendations when I get it. I will be picking it up at the US Can border in Sweet Grass MT/ Alberta border.

With any luck I may be able to ride it to Calgary clap.gif.

You may need to jump start it, but you can use regular cables to do it, if done carefully. Connect the ground to the frame, and have a long screwdriver or nail with you to reach the positive terminal after removing one half of the tupperware.

Once it's running, button it back up and you'll be all set.

You can also 'bump' start it.

Only if the voltage is sufficient to get the motronic to fire. Not as simple as on old bikes.

Actually, my 02 has the original battery......It has gone three weeks without a fire up, cranks up fine, no problem. If the battery is completely dead, I would replace it....A lead acid battery doesn't survive being dead for more than 24 hrs very well. Good Luck!

You may need to jump start it, but you can use regular cables to do it, if done carefully. Connect the ground to the frame, and have a long screwdriver or nail with you to reach the positive terminal after removing one half of the tupperware.

Once it's running, button it back up and you'll be all set.

My '04 has jump-start posts. The -ve just behind the left cylinder and the +ve under the front seat, above the airbox, with a black plastic cover over it.

When jump starting any vehicle, start the donor vehicle, connect the leads, then wait at least five minutes (preferably ten) before hitting the starter of the dead vehicle. This allows a fair amount of charge to get into the dead battery. Without this, the dead battery justs acts as a soak for the charge from the donor vehicle, so the starter justs slugs over.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

I would think your bike would start without a problem after a month. My '04 has gone longer than that without a problem. I also used Haulbikes.com to ship my bike to AZ. They damaged the bike as they have no experience with BMW's. Everything I told the driver to not do, they did. They settled my claim but it was a real pain. Good luck.

Archived