IGNORED

Can You Brighten My Day...

HappyMan

...or really my night? I have a 96 RT and of course as you all know the head light SUCKS! Without adding driving lights is there a way to improve it? Are there any modifications I've missed for improving the headlight? Feel free to point me to a post I might have missed. I'm about as bright as my headlight when it comes to searching this site! dopeslap.gif

Jerry_75_Guy

Without adding driving lights? Not that I can think of, but

try a search on driving lights; there's a lot here.

I added Pilot brand lights (PIAA knockoffs) for $60 and they work

great!

I will tell you that I added a HID system to my R1100RT 1997. It was not cheap, $300 ~~. It has a H-4 bulb replacement that changes position when I switch between high and low beam. It is the light this bike needed to ride safe at night. The mfg is no longer in Business because goverment DOT shut them down.

Search for HID kits. I will never go back to stock. thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

The easiest, quickest thing is to replace the stock bulb with a better one like the PIAA 55/60 superwhite.

That's better than stock, but not much.

The best way to increase your forward lighting without adding driving lights, is to install an HID headlight. Do some searches here and I'm sure you'll find some reviews of HID headlights.

John, the most simple thing to do is to just install a 80/100w lamp. These are available at any auto parts store. The lamp may be labeled as 'For offroad use only'. Some say that it will damage or melt the headlight housing, but many have done it without any problems. I have done it on my last two bikes with no problems. The other thing that is recomended is to install larger gauge wiring from your battery or accesory fuse block and only use the factory wiring to switch a relay in the new wiring. This works because it eliminates the problem of voltage drop in the light gauge factory wiring . You can do a search on this upgrade. I have seen it discussed before.

John, the most simple thing to do is to just install a 80/100w lamp. These are available at any auto parts store. The lamp may be labeled as 'For offroad use only'. Some say that it will damage or melt the headlight housing, but many have done it without any problems. I have done it on my last two bikes with no problems. The other thing that is recomended is to install larger gauge wiring from your battery or accesory fuse block and only use the factory wiring to switch a relay in the new wiring. This works because it eliminates the problem of voltage drop in the light gauge factory wiring . You can do a search on this upgrade. I have seen it discussed before.

That sounds worth looking into too. Thank you.

That exactly is the problem with HID conversion kits for H4 bulbs. You need to be able to ratain the high/low beam capability of the one bulb.

I didn't know there is(was?) a conversion kit that actually does that. All kits I have found replace the high/low of the H4 with just one HID "filament". Not good.

H1 and H7 (in 1150RT) are easy, one bulb, one filament.

--

Mikko

John - I added a Phillips bulb (definitely brighter than stock) purchased from England and, I think, now available in US. Also, added inexpensive teardrop shaped lights under the front fairing and attached to the lower side of the vent area with 3/8" thick piece of aluminum for support (jut under the oil cooler. Got the idea and measurements from this site. I have the dimensions at home and can send you a picture or two this weekend, if you are interested. Let me know. It made a big difference day or night. Ron

DavidEBSmith

Simplest and most cost-effective:

- Get a Philips VisionPlus or Osram SilverStar H4 bulb from www.powerbulbs.com. They honestly (and verifiably) put out more light, at stock wattage, cheaper than PIAAs.

- Get a headlight relay kit from Eastern Beaver or wire your own headlight relays. I have participated in a head-to-head test of bikes with and without headlight relays and the relays make a visible improvement.

As to the other suggestions - PIAA bulbs are overpriced and short-lived. Higher-wattage bulbs have been known to cause wiring and headlight switch problems (although not so much in Oilheads). HID conversions aren't street legal, they're expensive, they can be complicated to install (how do you feel about working around high voltage?), and, sorry to say, the idea of getting high and low beams out of a single bulb by physically moving it back and forth strikes me as asking for failure. Not to mention that the reflector on the R1100RT isn't designed for HID bulbs, will scatter light all over the place, and probably annoy every oncoming driver with the glare. Your Mileage May Vary.

I tend to agree with Dave, I went down to WalMart this past weekend and bought a Sylvannia 9003 Halogen H4 lamp, cost me $10.01 out the door, simple change and the light output is 50% better than stock. I tried out a PIAA superwhite, but for $35.00 I sent it back. This cheapo is the way to go.

I will put on some another light system, probably motolights in the future.

For the price, $10.00, try the WalMart option first.

Happy Ridin' thumbsup.gif

I'm with David, there's is not a better mod than the silverstar for the money. They were $20 a piece at autozone, but I have noticed you can now get two for $32. You will not believe the difference. I get comments all the time even in full sun daylight--man your headlight is bright--what kind is it.

That just means it's really expensive and five engineers worked on it to get it to be that dim, otherwise someone might have hurt themselves looking into the light. blush.gif I'm surprised they aren't servo linked to the break light.... grin.gif

Wow! That picture says it all. Besides the fact that it looks like a picture of my bike!!! blush.gif Well, except for the fact that I can see the headlight.... dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

I did what the other Mr. Smith said on my Roadster, which has a single H4 bulb. I installed a 90/100W Philips bulb. I added the Eastern Beaver relays. Things are much better now.

I also added Motolights, but they are not cheap. They are, however, very well made. I have them on all the time, and have had no problems. I use 50W yellow bulbs which fill in areas that the headlight does not get, and also greatly enhance the conspicuity of my bike.

John,

After my PIAA PA15680 Bulb-H4 80/80 Platinum Halogen Headlamp Bulb quit late at night I replaced it with a new Sylvania XtraVision 9003 60/55 Watt Headlamp Bulb. Right from the start it was much much brighter than the over rated PIAA and had light fill in on each lane next to the lane I was in. It's a very inexpensive way to go before you add additional running lights. On a dark country road at night the difference was amazing! The 9003 is a direct replacement for the H4.

here's how to fix>

this bulb:

http://www.tpi4x4.com/KLR650/Electric.html $35

ipfs are the real deal.

see what best rest says about em:

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/celestia/products/lighting/

then add this wiring relay (to get full power to the bulb):

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Home/Main/Products/H4_kits/h4_kits.html use 2nd one fairing mount. $52

results are amazing by them self.

need more light?:

http://www.electricalconnection.com/driving-lights/dl_r1100rt.htm go for the supper white. this is a complete kit with lights, mounting brackets, wiring/relays, switches for $145. best deal out there. here's the parts shown: http://www.electricalconnection.com/driving-lights/dl_performance.htm

without going overwattage i've tried piaa, philips (from england) & osram/sylvania (from england) and the ipf are better than all. the piaa are over priced. the philips & osrams are better than stock but not as good as the ipf. 80 watts (enhanced with fancy gases for more) is amazing on low beam (where the 1100rt light spreads light well).

look here to see how the buld shape is different:

http://www.offroadtuff.com/IPFbulbs.htm

http://www.4x4rockshop.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=9596

the ipf is designed for the stock harness (with the relay helping more). adding a higher wattage bulb to a stock harness can work (& probably does for most) but then there's a chance it won't and fry something. speaking of the osram/sylvania sold in us (walmart, etc.) these are not the same as the euro spec one. the us versions have a blue tint (see this tech: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/tech.html ) which is bs, while the euro version is a clear bulb. seems all the mfg make some blue coated bulb in their lineup (ipf does). avoid those models if you can, but as daniel says some are better than others. also the US (1 from walmart, 1 from autozone @ $35/2 bulbs) ones tend to fail to early as 2 of my friends tried em and failed within 6 months. read similar accounts of failure on the web. avoid these blue coated bulbs. if you have em in you will see improvement over stock & they will fail you at some early point.

Wow! I was afraid when I posted this one I'd get yelled at for asking the same question that's been asked a thousand times over. This has been quite helpful and I really appreciate it. I love this forum!! thumbsup.gif Thanks!

I tend to agree with Dave, I went down to WalMart this past weekend and bought a Sylvannia 9003 Halogen H4 lamp, cost me $10.01 out the door, simple change and the light output is 50% better than stock. I tried out a PIAA superwhite, but for $35.00 I sent it back. This cheapo is the way to go.

I will put on some another light system, probably motolights in the future.

For the price, $10.00, try the WalMart option first.

Happy Ridin' thumbsup.gif

these are white lens bulbs and are a great inexpensive option. put a pair in my girlfriends car 2 years ago & still going strong. i don't understand why osram sent crappy blue coated/poor quality xtra visions to the US, while shipping white lens quality xtra vision to europe.

I went with Sylvania SilverStar, $20 for the H4 at AutoZone. Side-by-side with my buddy's stock RT the difference is noticable. Now I don't have to ride the hi setting just to see the road where there's no streetlights grin.gif

HID conversions aren't street legal, they're expensive, they can be complicated to install (how do you feel about working around high voltage?), and, sorry to say, the idea of getting high and low beams out of a single bulb by physically moving it back and forth strikes me as asking for failure. Not to mention that the reflector on the R1100RT isn't designed for HID bulbs, will scatter light all over the place, and probably annoy every oncoming driver with the glare. Your Mileage May Vary.

Valid points. I've asked about the "moving" or "true" H4 HID replacements, but haven't got a good answer yet frown.gif Why the reflector of the RT is designed for H4 filament positions and the "moving" HID replacement is most likely in the right place, all the versions I've seen have some blocking of one side of the bulb to facilitate the moving of the bulb. If that mechanism reflects the light, it may very well cause unwanted reflections frown.gif

That said, I've also heard that the high beam may be unneeded with the HID bulb, as the low position puts out enough "usable" light. Probably a preference...

Lastly, what about the high voltage? Unless you take the ballast apart, the high voltage in the wiring is no less dangerous than the high voltage in your spark plug wires. You better watch out!!! dopeslap.gif

BTW...annoying (getting the notice of) the oncoming driver may be a goal, too! grin.gif

[whine] My personal preferences are not to add external lights to maintain the look of the bike -- I think all those lights hanging off the bike are ugly. If I could put a brighter light in the stock location, take less wattage (35w), and be 3X brighter with being competitive with external lights, I think the HID solution is grand. thumbsup.gif When you look at the external light solutions, you gotta take in the entire cost:

- lights ($$$ or Walmart/AutoZone/Harbour Freight)

- mounts ($70+)

- wiring harness/switch (at least $20 for something quality)

- talent to do it right

So...why isn't there a better market for a legal HID replacement! [/whine]

I'm still looking on eBay for a good solution, especially when I've got the funds to do it!

Later,

jan

After reading a previous post on the forum about extra lights and lighting i looked into the suggested Sylvania Silverstar H4ST bulb. Found them going on eBay for $9.95 + shipping. Just received mine today and tried it tonight. What a differance! Easy way to more light. I'll keep my old bulb as a spare!

Archived