IGNORED

Riding on wet surface

New2Wheeler

New2Wheeler

In the spirit of sharing and/or looking for encouragement, here is an experience from a relatively new street rider. Left the house this morning after a night with light/moderate rain. Has been a week or more without rain and lots of pollen. I purposefully decided to ride to gain experience on wet surfaces (how else do you do it?). Was stopped at the first red light, pickup to the right, light turns green and I notice the pickup slips his wheels as he moves out. Thought to self... It is slippery when wet. Next light similar experience. Then sitting in the right lane at the third light, six o'clock covered with a stopped vehicle, hear a car skidding over the pavement to the right. A driver in the turn lane wasn't paying attention and locked 'em up to keep from running into the car in front. This all happened within three miles from home.

So... while it is obvious.... it is slippery when wet.

I have been commuting as often as I can, and there will be times I need to ride in the rain. Around here in the summer the forecast every day is "chance of PM thunderstorms". I guess it is just another psychological hurdle to go over.

Just to add to your worries, your tires won't have max traction until they warm up. Be extra careful for the first few miles.

---

Paul Mihalka

"Left the house this morning after a night with light/moderate rain. Has been a week or more without rain and lots of pollen."

That is the worst combination. A few days of accumulation of stuff and then enough rain to wet it but not enough to wash it off. It would be much better after a good thunderstorm. You had the right mindset.

To add to the dilemma, water is the least troublesome liquid. Coolant, gasoline and diesel will all present new levels of lubrication, even worse when mixed with water.

Moderate use of all controls, and the fortitude (Discipline?)to not over react when you do slide are your best bets.

This is 'merica, we don't need to think about wet and slippery. Shuckey darn we don't need any sense or talent to drive either, it's right!

Most folks in 'merica wouldn't have a license if we followed the European driving test procedures.

I've watched folks skate around since I was a grade school kid. Even had my own act of utter studidity in a big puddle with hydro planing. Only took one and that was 45 years ago.

I love a good down pour, it makes short work of all the lubricants and slop on the road surface. Those little drizzley things only prep the surface for disaster.

Well, here in the Pacific NW, the saying goes "if you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride." My first ride in the rain was "aw, s***." But I was in the middle of nowhere so I kept going. Now, I actually like it. It's cool and the smell of rain is nice. Just make sure you don't make any quick moves. That means a bit more forethought and planning. Long time ago, when I learned to fly airplanes, I was taught to be flying ahead of the airplane . . . in other words, if you are reacting to what is happening now, it's too late. So look ahead of where you are and ride accordingly.

ShovelStrokeEd

I don't find rain to be any big deal. I do find addled cage drivers who slow to 30 or less on a freeway in a moderate rain to be both annoying and dangerous but, I live in S. Florida and the drivers are mostly addled anyway.

Things to keep in mind. Your visibility is diminished, both your own and that of the drivers around you. You will, with modern sport touring tires have pretty close to 80% of the traction you had when the road was dry. You just need to be a bit more judicious about your inputs. As Honda said, a long time ago, "beware the grease mud for therein lies the skid demon."

Have fun with it. Down here, in the summer (May-Oct), temps are often in the 90's with humidity to match. We seek out thunderstorms to cool off.

With rain it all depends on how much you have. With light rain, until the surface is wetted, there is no loss of grip. In a few minutes however, that all changes and the oil, rubber, coolant etc are brought to the surface and it gets very slippery. With heavy rain, or several hours of light rain, the surface gets washed off and most of the grip returns. With a clean, wet tarmacadam surface in good condition you get about 80% of dry grip - enough to do a stoppie with modern tyres.

Avoid road markings and access covers, think further ahead and be super-smooth and all will be well. If you need to brake in an emergency, do not be fearful of braking hard - just build the pressure over, say, a half second to max braking. If you have ABS, so much the better.

Andy

New2Wheeler

thanks everyone for the feedback. I continue to really enjoy the ride. Lot's more to experience and learn. It isn't the same as riding in the woods that is for sure, but one common element is that you need to be 100% focused on what you are doing. That is what I enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
Mighty Manfred

And even when you are being right careful, the other liquids mentioned above may be lurking. I wiped out last October on my home from an airhead tech day, as I pulled out to pass some cars. The rear tire hit something very slick and wagged the back of the bike violently back for forth a few times before slamming me down on the wet pavement in a low-side crash that left me slowly spinning around as I slid. I clung the bike like a bat and was not injured. Ground a hole in my valve cover, which I turned upside down (to put the hole on top) and covered the hole with a band-aid from my first aid kit and rode home - very carefully.

Riding on wet roads should never become routine.

Linda Mooney

I don't think of rain when on the sidecar rig because of increased tire footprint/traction. It is still capable of sliding when run aggresively especially through turns!

With my solo bike I find I have some fear if it is raining although the more I ride in it the more comfortable I am. Yes, it is very much mind over matter and more hours in the saddle help with confidence in your ride.

Don't give up, just slow down and keep riding (even in the rain) and learning.

Visibility, for me at least seems to be the biggest challenge with riding in the rain. The fine spray off cars at freeway speeds is the worst. As others have said, cars slowing ot a crawl on the freeway is a little scary too. A motorcycle hydroplanes much, much later than cars and the rear losses traction first, so if the rear gets squirmy, that's your first sign. But I remember it taking 100mph and about a 1/2" puddle of water... wiht DOT race tires (no grooves)... for make my 400lb sportbike hydroplane. I think the RT will hydroplane much, much later with it's 600lbs and sport touring tires. 've riddne trhough soem pretty deep puddles at 50mph and only noticed that my foot got sprayed pretty hard, but no hydroplanning.

"....and covered the hole with a band-aid from my first aid kit and rode home - very carefully......"

Sounds like good ol' Yankee Ingenuity! :clap:

Archived