IGNORED

New Hazard

tallman

After 40 some years, a new one.

Riding 2 lane rural road with rolling hills, sweepers and some

curves, uphill L to R followed by downhill R to L with a blind curve leading to a narrow bridge.

Speed limit is 55.

Easy to run through above that.

So as I'm accelerating into the curve heading to the bridge the turn opens up and the entire bridge is blocked.

No shoulders, concrete railing, water below.

What's there?

One of those huge mowers that do the medians, shoulders and other right of way areas.

He's stopped in the middle of the bridge.

He sees me, I have seen him and began braking just before that.

He raises one side of the mower, still running the cutting blades, and I pass by with no problems.

Wasn't really in danger unless I had been going 20-30mph faster or had been distracted, or, if he hadn't been looking and continued into me when I had stopped (if that was required).

As it was, a lesson.

I went back and looked for warning signs.

Grass on shoulders, or even a sign "Mowers Ahead" or the like.

I found the sign, face down in some high grass about 13/4 mile back up the road.

But it wasn't upright, wasn't visible and the mower I came up on was the first one of the three at work there.

So, I tried to see what might have helped.

First, if the wind was blowing the other way, I might have smelled the freshly cut grass. Don't laugh, when I came back the other way later on I could smell the cut grass before I saw any of it.

Second, I was travelling at a reasonable rate. This allowed time to react and avoid.

Third, my tires and brakes were just inspected and are OK.

Fourth, it is mowing season again after a long winter (our second coldest on record, Al) so I should begin to pay attention to schedules for rural mowing.

If your area does this also, keep your nose in the wind and a weather eye out.

Best wishes.

Tallman,

It's with an attentive eye I scan stories as yours. Your description of the rural road had me going at least 70 mph in my mind. By the way I follow my wandering mind. I also believe we are the sum of our life experiences. With that said; I work for a rather large agency that has numerous mowing machines like that you discribe. Mowers that have hydraulic's, operating arms that raise and lower cutting blades. One day while at the garage having my agency vehicle serviced, I was making small talk with a colleague/friend and half heartly joking about another guy working under the cutting arm of mower when the hydraulic line blew and the mechanic was stuck in the head by said arm. The guy went home with only a head ache thank god. When the dust settled my friend told me this is a frequent occurrence with these machines. I never ask why, just something to think about next time.

"He raises one side of the mower, still running the cutting blades, and I pass by with no problems". :eek::eek:

That is called reel dangerous.

It seems like a case of the Golden Rule. "You should always be able to stop under control, in your own lane, in the distance in which you can see."

At night the distance is the area covered by low-beam. On a single track-road (one lane for both directions) as we have in quieter rural areas in the UK, the rule changes to "half the distance".

Andy

Ken,

Me too.

:grin:

Haircuts are so expensive you'd think all barbers were

BMW certified.

:wave:

Rich,

flowers, yes, makes me wish I was in NC riding the Smoky MOuntain Xwy where the medians are so beautiful.

First, if the wind was blowing the other way, I might have smelled the freshly cut grass. Don't laugh, when I came back the other way later on I could smell the cut grass before I saw any of it.

If your area does this also, keep your nose in the wind and a weather eye out.

Best wishes.

Those who know, aren't laughing. Your #1 defensive sensory tool is NOT your hearing or sight....it's your sense of smell.

...keeping your nose in the wind is good advice...

You should have yelled "Toro" as you passed the mower.. :dopeslap:

Just imagine, in the previous thread, if there had been a mower with it's blades raised on the side of the road, instead of a CHP cruiser to low side in to...

• 3 weeks later...

I once was driving on highway 421 down near Virginia/NC somewhere and I went over a small hill into a lake. Talk about a quick stop! That water really slows you down. Luckily I was in a VW bug and yes they do float. Also luckily putting the car in reverse combined with the snow tires brought me back to the shore and pretty close to the road. Up the road was the the barricades and signs lying in the ditch barely visible. I looked at my map and found a dashed line that said proposed lake site. I am a little more careful about map reading now.

I once was driving on highway 421 down near Virginia/NC somewhere and I went over a small hill into a lake. Talk about a quick stop! That water really slows you down. Luckily I was in a VW bug and yes they do float. Also luckily putting the car in reverse combined with the snow tires brought me back to the shore and pretty close to the road. Up the road was the the barricades and signs lying in the ditch barely visible. I looked at my map and found a dashed line that said proposed lake site. I am a little more careful about map reading now.

Now that's just too funny. You sure you didn't have #53 on the side!

Indy Dave

Glad you had your wits about you and were not overcooking. Thanks also for the reminder to go back and look for clues as to what we may have missed when we come up on something unexpected. :thumbsup:

Archived