IGNORED

Ted Porter's Beemer Shop

FlyingW1200RT

FlyingW1200RT

Does anyone have experience with Ted Porter's Beemer Shop? I've placed a couple of orders with Ted's but have been less than impressed with their responsiveness as several weeks have passed without my items being shipped. I've callled/emailed them but they've been slow to respond. Ted's confirms my order was received but yet my goodies have not shipped. What's the scoop...are they good or bad for online purchases?

What's your experience with Ted's? Would you recommend someone else for online purchases of BMW trinkets?

Thanks for your input!

I haven't ordered from them online, but I did order a pair of Wilber shocks from them and had them installed on my R12GS at their shop. The service was quick, very professional, and I liked how Ted took the time to explain how to make adjustments depending on load and terrain.

I intend to go back when Wilber perfects the ESA shock for the RT.

BMW trinkets? Take a look at Touratech or Wunderlich.

Dwight

Joe Frickin' Friday

There seems to be a glitch in their website ordering system. I created an account there earlier this week and ordered a GS-911, but received no confirmation. I logged on the next day and my account had no record of any pending orders. I placed an order again, got the same results. Finally called on phone yesterday and placed an order directly with human bean, who seemed polite and responsive.

The GS-911 Bluetooth/Enthusiast model is out of stock; he says he expects to have them by next Friday (4/16).

I will post my final impressions here when my transaction is completed.

Ted is good people. Very knowledgeable and helpful. I've ordered from him before (GS911 and IKON shocks for my R90s) and was more than satisfied. And I've emailed him with technical questions on my old Airheads and never had to wait more than 2 days for a response.

RPG

• Plus 1 1

Never done a web order from them, but I stop in and buy stuff all the time for my new to me RT.

It is a great shop with very knowledgeable and helpful guys.

I went to him when he was the service manager for BMWSC, when he first moved out here. Then I used him when he opened his shop in his garage, Fran Crane’s (may she RIP) old house, and I use him now at his Scotts Valley shop. Tiz' the best BMW shop around, and we have a lot of choices in the bay area.

I have ordered and got excellent service and excellent response.

I also know they have a very good reputation.

I also know someone else who ordered the GS911 and found they were out of stock.

Certainly possible, as that device is becoming more known and sought after, and I think they are the only dealer in the usa for the GS911.

dc

• Plus 1 1
Does anyone have experience with Ted Porter's Beemer Shop? I've placed a couple of orders with Ted's but have been less than impressed with their responsiveness as several weeks have passed without my items being shipped. I've callled/emailed them but they've been slow to respond. Ted's confirms my order was received but yet my goodies have not shipped. What's the scoop...are they good or bad for online purchases?

What's your experience with Ted's? Would you recommend someone else for online purchases of BMW trinkets?

Thanks for your input!

Just curious. Are you getting that much of a better deal from this outfit than your local shops (Hansens or BMWWO) that are only a short distance from you?

markgoodrich

Call and ask for Ted. Or send an email to wilbers"at" beemershop.com explaining your concerns. Ted reads all those emails.

Just curious. Are you getting that much of a better deal from this outfit than your local shops (Hansens or BMWWO) that are only a short distance from you?

There are a few exclusives (GS911 for one) that Ted's has that nobody else does. I ordered my GS911 from them last year without any problems.

Wayne

There are a few exclusives (GS911 for one) that Ted's has that nobody else does. I ordered my GS911 from them last year without any problems.

Wayne

+2 No trouble with my order last year, either. Give Ted a call or send him an email, I'm sure he will be responsive to your inquiry.

Edited by Bullett

Ted is a class act-

Bought Wilbers from him last year and had him install them- he didn't like the way the shocks set up as received from the factory so took it upon himself to re-contact Wilbers in Germany to research his concerns. Ended up picking up new parts for my shocks and bringing me back in to fix everything with the new components. This brought the sag and spring compression (static) measurements within his satisfaction and by doing that, it improved what I thought was a great ride already. I have also bought the GS-911 from him and had no problems. I do not use the on-line ordering, I always either pick up the phone to call or stop by the shop. Again- he's a class act. Happy customer here.

• Plus 1 1
  • 5 years later...

I am lucky these guys are just around the corner from me, it beats a trip to San Jose!

I ordered a bunch of stuff for a 12,000 mile service - it took a while but I did get everything - not too good at getting back to you when stuff arrives, but Ted is the gold standard!

• 4 years later...
szurszewski

I just had a better than expected experience with The Beemershop - rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd bump this old one.

History: I've only ordered few things from Ted in the past - a set of customized shocks for a huge sidecar rig (ordered mid long trip and it took a couple of weeks to get them put together and sent over - one of the shocks came from the Netherlands improperly setup, but the replacement was to me in just a few days), two sets of brake lines (both shipped same day as ordered - one actually dropped at the post office by Ted after their shipping hours so I could have them right away) and maybe a couple other bits. Always good service, but I think I always called in. 

Currently: I'm sheltering in place/self isolating because of this COVID-19 extravaganza (for those in the future, I assume you'll remember this as the great 2020 toilet paper famine) and wrenching on a bike I bought as a project to sell this spring/summer (we'll see how that goes - but the point is, I'm not in a hurry in any way). I have most of what I need but totally forgot I needed a new sight glass. Google showed me The Beemershop stocked one and their main page said, to my surprise, they were up and running despite COVID-19 and fully supporting their mail-order business (but please, please don't come in to the shop!). I placed the order a few days ago (Wednesday) mid day and got an email later that day saying "your order has been shipped." Tracking info showed a label printed and USPS "waiting to receive" my package. That's pretty typical and could certainly be all automated (that's what my online store does, except it says "in process" instead of shipped), but I thought if they were really working it would be updated maybe the next day showing receipt by USPS. Nope. Not on Friday either. Saturday morning I planned to check again expecting to see the same thing, and figured if I did I'd give them a call just to see if they were really in the shop. Imagine my surprise when instead I found the tracking info below:

1870228813_ScreenShot2020-03-28at9_19_52AM.png.99779d34c8a96b404491c6711264134c.png

I'm not sure how it got from CA at 7pm to Seattle at 8pm (maybe USPS is having some difficulty keeping up with all the crazy mail ordering we're doing right now...), but I was pretty excited to see it was already with my carrier on the way to the house!

Thanks Ted and crew - much appreciated as always!

• Like 2
Bill_Walker
6 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I'm not sure how it got from CA at 7pm to Seattle at 8pm

Because of COVID-19, even air traffic is a lot lighter now, so the plane was able to make especially good time.  :grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Three years ago I ordered two sets of Wilburs shocks and a GS911 from Ted.  On the first set of Wilburs (for a '99 R1100S) he called me at about 7 PM on a Saturday evening to discuss preferences, riding conditions and styles.  We talked for 20-30 min.  He said he had a very similar S and would set these up just as his were set up.  That could be pure BS but it sounded like pure Gospel and I believe him.

I had originally asked for his recommendation on suspenders fot this bike but he took the time to explain why he recommended the Wilburs over the Ohlins (adjustable compression and rebound damening, better value, etc), plus less $.  

When I got the '00 K1200RS a year later I ordered Wilburs again from Ted.  No problems, orders arrived on time, as stated, installed them and I am a VERY satisfied customer.  VERY happy with the Wilburs on both bikes and with Ted's service and advice.  First Class.

Just my 2¢.

Lowndes

szurszewski
49 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

We talked for 20-30 min.  He said he had a very similar S and would set these up just as his were set up.  That could be pure BS but it sounded like pure Gospel and I believe him.

I’d believe him too. When I called,

from a roadside pullout along highway one in California, and said I wanted to order a set of Wilburs ASAP for my rig, he took time to get lots of info as you mention. He suggested a different brand because we were so heavy and they were the only one to use a larger diameter shaft in the rear shock. Those

shocks worked great through some very rough roads AND they were less than even his sale price on Wilburs. 

PS - per my order above, it arrived Saturday and I just finally got it (a new sight glass in) installed. 

Another happy Ted Porter customer here. Last year I bought shocks for my GS. He recommended what was best for my style of riding and I shipped him my old units. They swapped over the ESA components and shipped them back the next day. Not many places are going to do a one day turn around.

• 2 months later...
On 4/8/2010 at 9:28 PM, FlyingW1200RT said:

Thanks for your input!

I have been using Sierra BMW, out of Reno, for years.  I live in Los Angeles County.

• 3 years later...

Just got off the phone with a complete asshole from Ted Porter's Beemer Shop named Casey Kunselman. He accused me of using a fraudulent or stolen credit card because my shipping address apparently didn't match up, even though the charge is pending on my account from their company. When I asked him why he wouldn't take my card and that his accusation pissed me off, he hung up on me. When I called back, every department ignored my phone call. My $316.45 order is still pending on my card and looks like it will run through.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. 

21 hours ago, sams said:

Just got off the phone with a complete asshole from Ted Porter's Beemer Shop named Casey Kunselman. He accused me of using a fraudulent or stolen credit card because my shipping address apparently didn't match up, even though the charge is pending on my account from their company. When I asked him why he wouldn't take my card and that his accusation pissed me off, he hung up on me. When I called back, every department ignored my phone call. My $316.45 order is still pending on my card and looks like it will run through.

That sounds really frustrating for sure. I get that you may not want to do as you may well be personally "done" with their business, but this sounds like way out of the norm for Ted's shop. As such, I'd think another, call, hey - I got some confusingly bad service when I called last time - can you please help me with this? would almost surely solve your problem. If though you just want to make sure the charge doesn't go through, you should call your CC company, tell them what happened and say you want to dispute the charge. 

I've talked to them on the phone many times - not sure I've ever talked to anyone named Casey though (usually Ted or Jeff) - and it's always been an excellent experience. 

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

The charge showing on your card as 'pending' is pretty normal stuff on transactions, including failed ones. It will disappear if the issue isn't rectified.  

Welcome to the board! As this is your first and only post to this board, I welcome you to introduce yourself to the community.

On 10/10/2023 at 2:14 PM, sams said:

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. 

In all fairness, you just joined with one post to your credit. Ted's company has been a reliable, honest vendor in the BMW community for many decades.

I would wager that the real story is a bit more interesting than you've presented.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 3

I just got off the phone with Ted's shop. Wanted to see if their Browns side stand would work with my Reynold ride off. They couldn't have been more helpful and didn't try to sell me something that wouldn't work. I give them an A+ . And if anyone has a /6 center stand , give me a shout LOL

• Like 2

I'd be interested in knowing what the issue was with the shipping address.

My wife runs a small business from home, shipping about 10-20 packages a day.  Addresses are automatically checked for validity when the shipping label is created, because a "bad" address causes delay and expense when the package is returned. At least once a week she has to hold a package because the customer did not provide a good address. Sometimes it takes them several tries to come up with the correct street name or house number. (Yes, some people do not know where they live.)  About once a month trying to resolve an address issue reveals a fraud attempt.

I bought my GS-911 online from Beemershop in 2012, no issues, no human contact.  I talked with Ted Porter at a rally booth in 2017, seemed like a decent, friendly person, but I was not in the market for his goods at that time. I ordered new Tractive shocks from beemershop.com two years ago, provided the info to have them set up for my bike and load, received them in about a week. I had one question about the installation, emailed to the shop since I was not in a hurry. Ted called me within a half hour, quickly gave me an answer, chatted a bit and provided some additional tips, then followed up with an email a week or so later. I don't know what more I could have wanted.   If his employee seemed rude, I think he would want to know about it so that he could investigate and make any necessary corrections.  I would not hesitate to do business with them again.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2

I purchased and sent in my 2010 R1200RT Front and rear struts and got 2 x new Wilbers back without any issues. I am extremely  happy with their service and attention to detail.

• Plus 1 1

I've used Ted's shop twice for suspension work.  One was about 2000 and the other time was 2014.  Straight shooter, did good work, and price was as competitive as anybody.  When I lived in NCal back in the 90's, I would ride into his shop and he would stop what he was doing to talk through your issue.  Good guy, good shop.

• Like 2

I have had wonderful success with Ted Porter.   Very helpful in replacing my worn RT shocks.  Very knowledgeable, shipping was so quick and product was much better than OEM.  Very highly recommend.

6 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

That poster has not visited the site since he posted.   He also hijacked a 3 year old thread.   :dontknow:

I don’t know that’s it’s really a hijack since the question starting the thread was about experience with this shop - that is what the guy provided, and the result was six more glowing positive reviews. 

Our business has a 4.7 rating most places and we almost never get middle of the road ratings, so that means we have lots of five stars and very occasional one stars. I like to think we provide service on the level of beemer shop. Most of our negative reviews aren’t a result of bad service - just angry people - but every once in a while we do screw up and it ends up in a review. Maybe this guy really did get mishandled by this Casey person. Obviously the better solution would be to contact the owner rather than post here, and it would be great if the poster came back to update… 

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
6 hours ago, szurszewski said:

Obviously the better solution would be to contact the owner rather than post here, and it would be great if the poster came back to update… 

+1.  I've rarely left a negative review except to warn others away from getting stung.  Never try to bad mouth the people, just describe our experience.  More times than not, I'll email the company with my experience.  Nobody's perfect.  'Cept moi, of course.  Goes without saying if you know what I mean.:cool:

• Like 3