IGNORED

Lowered your R1200GS?

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

I'm very interested in getting an R1200GS, but I'm just too short for the stock bike, even with the low seat.

I road a lowered one at Max BMW in Troy, NY. It was a hoot and a half. (Sylva loved it too, which is a serious bonus.) I have been right on my toes for the last two years on the RT, and it's getting a little tiresome. My inseam is between 27" and 28" or so.

So, has anyone else here lowered their GS? How much did you lower it? Any issues? Do you like it? Still enough clearance? Reasonable non-pavement performance?

Thanks,

Mark

I hear what your saying Mark, but one thing to consider is that the 12GS is not near the handful to handle that the RT is. There isn't anywhere near the, "Ohmygawd it's going over!" feel when you get 2 degrees off dead-center at a stop like the RT is famous for. You can intentionally tilt it way over to the side, 30 degrees maybe even at a stop and it's easy to tilt back up to on-center.

Mark, you might want to ride the stock version for a few hundred miles before you decide to lower it. I'm a 30" inseam and can flat foot mine with the seat in the lower position. I like to put it in the upper position on trips for better comfort.

To actually answer your question, Works Performance is one of the shock companies that offer lowered shocks. We have lowered 1100 and 1150 RT's, RS's, GS's, R's, LT's, using their shocks. Ground clearance is not really a problem as the inseam challenged are just so happy to get a lower bike. Low shocks bring it down an inch. Im sure that if they dont have them now, they soon will for the 12GS. The only real negative is using the centerstand requires a double grunt to use as the geometry changes.

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Steve,

I guess I'd say I'd ride the bike with the stock suspension if I could. The bike is REALLY high for me. I should get out a measuring tape and check my inseam, but if I was to guess I'd say it's between 27"-28", which makes all the difference in the world.

Big Al,

I'll take a look at Works. I'm talking to Wilbur now. They say they can lower the bike up to 3", and you can get a piece that will let you vary it by +- 1/2". I'm thinking of doing 1 1/2" or 2" with the variable adjuster.

My only serious concern at the moment is that I'm going to pick the bike up in Atlanta and ride it home. I'd like to swap out the shocks before coming home, but I'm not sure the side stand will be ok, and I'm not sure I'll have facilities to cut it in Atlanta. Logistics, logistics, logistics... it keeps life interesting.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I went for the low seat and had the bike lowered half an inch or so extra by exchanging the paralever reaction bar, if you call it that in English! Please enlighten me on the correct title. It's the bar that runs below the paralever on the RT and above it on the 12GS. In Dutch it's the "trekstang".

There's a company here in Holland that makes them and you can chose to add or lower hight up to almost an inch. Maybe this would help you to. If it's not available in the states, you can order it here, it's not expensive.

Also I bought from Wunderlich a little thingy (here's when it shows when you're not a native speaker) to make the foot of the side stand larger, which makes it easier it pull it upright when you're short legged (like me).

Hi Miriam,

We call lots of things thingy's here in the US. Your english is 100 times better than our dutch/if that is in fact what your language is called. See how dumb we can be. dopeslap.gif

You are welcome to use my garage and tools. I'm sure I can drag some Atlanta experts over to help. Give us a shout when you are in town.

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Marty,

Will those be the kind that don't impact 0-60 performance? wink.gif

Mark,

Thanks a lot for the offer. I'm thinking of doing this the weekend of Chris K's tech day. I already PM'ed Chris, and he thought there ought to be enough knowledgeable people there to make a go of it. The last issue I have, that the Wilber guy is trying to find out, is wether I will need to cut the side stand to get it home.

To everyone on this thread,

You all show why this community is so great. I really appreciate the offers of advice and help. It's truly a great thing. You're all great and awesome! thumbsup.gif

Thanks,

Mark

Marty,

Will those be the kind that don't impact 0-60 performance? wink.gif

Mark,

I'll get back to you on that as soon as I hear from germany. wink.gif

Jovial Henry

I lowered my RT with Wilbers. They were not set up correctly when I got them but I dissasembled them and make the corrections. The bike handles much better with the short shocks. The center stand is difficult unless you roll the rear tire up on a piece of 2x4. I carry a 6" tapered one for emergencies. I always use the sidestand but it is pretty straight up. Just look for a low spot to rest it in. Henry

I have a 27 inch inseam. I used the Wilbers shocks and lowered it 3". Its great. With the low seat, I can get both feet flat on the ground, probably 29 inch seat height. With the Corbin seat, its probably 31 inches but still low enough for me. Cost 1400.00 and took about 4 weeks to get, but the dealer put them on in an hour or so. The sidestand should be cut down 1" for the appropriate lean. I did 1/2 inch first, and it wasnt enough. No loss in ride quality whatsoever. I highly recommend it.

Archived