IGNORED

Checking my GS (or RT) oil level in the rain

ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW

quick question

in order to bring the temp of the motor up to operating level so that i can cool it down for 5 minutes to accurately check the oil.

because it's pouring outside.....

can i just let it run in the garage, or would that be bad for the motor.

dumb question i guess.... just trying to make sure the oil level is correct for my trip without going out into a monsoon to do so

thanks

greg

Just so long as it was up to full operating temperature last time you rode it, you'll be fine if you can see oil in the glass.

Paul

ClearwaterBMW

i rode it for about 1 hour, 5 days before

i put it on the center stand.... never started it

left it there for hours

the oil levels was 3/4 of the way UP the glass.....

i appreciate your thoughts as well... i'll be leaving to georgia at 0345 tomorrow..... right in the middle of a tropical depression, apparently. 575 miles of slab in the rain (which is UNavoidable on THIS trip) doesn't bother me as much as the fact that it looks like it'll rain THE WHOLE time we are in the georgia/tennessee/north carolina mountains..... and that will really SUCK

at least i'll really get some use out of my new Garmin 376C with live NEXRAD weather.... updated every 5 minutes.

greg

ShovelStrokeEd

Greg,

There is no reason not to enjoy the roads. You have about 80% of the traction you have in the dry so most roads shouldn't be a problem. Visability will be down some and you probably won't get as many pictures taken but, look at it this way, there won't be very many HD's in the way.

As to the GPS/WX thing, my experience has been that I can gain a pretty good idea of the weather in my general vicinity by looking up. Just put on the rain gear and ride.

ClearwaterBMW

You are right, Ed

i have waited for this 4-day trip for a long time. as you know, i don't get the time to ride that you do (wish i did).

i have great rain gear... and i'm going to go

i appreciate the words of encouragement.

where are YOU today?

greg

as for the looking up and Wx thing

well, i have to TRY to justify that ridiculous purchase, of course

ShovelStrokeEd

I'm sitting out in Livermore, CA and planning on running home this weekend.

Schedule calls for Albuquerque next week with Tucson the week following.

Plan is to fly home on Friday, do a quick load of laundry and be on the road Saturday morning. Birmiham, Al. Norman, OK. Albuquerque for a little over 2k miles in 3 days.

Somewhat up in the air at the moment as there is an instrument kicking my butt at Berkeley.

Tammy will be gone by thursday pm for us down here. Melbourne is already sunny and less brezzy. she's hauling arse up the coast. jax gonna get wet and greg, you'll have some lingering but i bet it's nice on saturday. front is moving down.

ClearwaterBMW

yeah, i think you're right

we're going to go no matter what...

i'm on the GS, for crying out loud

i have my new garmin 376C

what was i thinking!

i appreciate your words of encouragement as well

still wish you could have joined us

greg

quick question

in order to bring the temp of the motor up to operating level so that i can cool it down for 5 minutes to accurately check the oil.

because it's pouring outside.....

can i just let it run in the garage, or would that be bad for the motor.

dumb question i guess.... just trying to make sure the oil level is correct for my trip without going out into a monsoon to do so

Extended idling is BAD!! for any motor! One of the serious problems is gasoline condensing and washing (and diluting) oil off the cylinder walls while the motor is cold. Excessive idling will not bring your oil temperature up to where it should be anyway (even if the water finally comes up to temperature). This results in excessive condensation in the oil.

Whether it is a bike or a car, extended idling is a no-no.

Besides all that, the exact level of oil is basically irrelivant anyway. If it is between the lower and upper marks, it is just fine.

Bob.

While we're on th subject. A BMW rider told me th other day, that at ah BMW workshop at ah rally ah BMW mechanic told him that as long as you see oil in th sight glass even on th sidestand you got enough not ta worry about it.

ClearwaterBMW
so? how was the trip. weather should have turned really nice. confused.gif

got home 2 hours ago

butt sore (that gs seat sucks.... 1600 miles)

not the best weather

incredible trip

rode 325 HARD miles in the mountains yesterday...

used every inch of the rear tire... fully scrubbed in... surprised even myself. i don't usually ride that way and i never get to practice on such roads (living here in florida)

but, yesterday i'm (sort of) ashamed to say...

i was a SQUID

greg

ClearwaterBMW

i guess my main point was that the GS is such an amazing machine..... we really were "ONE" on those mountain passes

it was truly incredible. i was really out PAST the edge of that rear tire

ME.... the now 43 year old guy who never gets to ride that way

quite satisfying

when i got home, i was so tired that i could barely get that GS on the centerstand.... no kidding

the trip was great

all those superslab miles to get there and back (which were necessary with our time constraints) could NOT have been accomplished without that Kaoko Throttle Lock

it isn't like cruise control.... but it was a life (right-hand) saver for sure

greg

Archived