IGNORED

seats...probably like oil...haha

otis

O.K...the comfort seat that came on my bike (04RT) sucks. I'm leaning toward the Russell or Bill Mayer, but man are they expensive. Anyway, what do you guys have and do you find if comfortable? How's the quality, ect.?

Orrr...Has anyone altered the stock one successfully?

Thanks...Pat

P.S...I know these are primitive and non-tech questions, but I'm new to BMW's......don't worry, I'll be inside the motor soon and will have real questions:)

Well, first a question: What is your specific issue with the 'comfort seat'? (There have been many sited in the past, with various solutions.

2nd, I see you 'just joined' and are from a Chicago Suburb. Please don't be shy on this board tell us which burb. Who knows we might actually get togher face to face to help you 'get inside'.

I've owned over five Russell seats (presently have two) and would buy from them again if I needed a seat. I have never met anyone who bought a Russell seat who was dissatisfied.

Re. other seat makers: I have read posts on this board and others where people were dissatisfied with seats from the other makers.

Have you tried "seat jacks" as a first low cost attempt to correct? If you are not familiar with them use the search function here to find recent discussions on them.

...I have never met anyone who bought a Russell seat who was dissatisfied...
I think Bob Palin (Killer) would argue that point. No seat manufacturer is perfect for everyone.

I, too, went the route you are headed. And I ended up with an aftermarket seat. Here is a write up I did on this board. You live in an area that should afford you trying out several solutions (there are lots of BMWST folks in the Chicago area). Give a couple a call or PM and go sit on the seats. What works for me, may not for you. And seats are FAR to expensive to experiment by just purchasing one until you find one that fits. While you may find several strong oppinions on this board, nothing will answer your question short of putting your hiney on several seats.

Good luck.

Regards,

Mike O

Someone mentioned "Seat Jacks". I have a 2002 RT and have done some fairly long rides, 5000 being the longest. Anyway, my stock seat killed my butt so I bought a heated Corbin seat for about $600.00. It was worse, harder than the stock seat and I could barely reach the ground, further, the rear seat was hard to get on. So now, the Corbin seat functions as a wall hanging in my shop. I also tried a factory "Comfort Seat" but it was also too wide making it difficult to touch the ground. I ended up purchasing "seat jacks" for $20.00 on the internet. I just did a 2500 mile ride and they made a significant difference. They raise the front of the seat up and kind of tilt you back a little. That also prevent you from sliding forward. They are stupid simple to install and for twenty bucks, you can hardly go wrong!! thumbsup.gif

O.K., being more specific; I have 2 problems with the comfort seat. First, I slide forward, which I now understand may be cured with seat jacks. Second, this seat is fine for my daily commute (25 miles each way), but if I ride more than say 80-100 miles, my ass gets sore...really sore. It seeems the seat only supports the middle of my ass.

BTW - that's a great write up Mike. Why did you decide on the perforated vinyl?

Thanks,

...BTW - that's a great write up Mike. Why did you decide on the perforated vinyl?

Thanks,

Thought it would be cooler. (sure looks cool!)

Haven't noticed much of any difference. And I occasionally use an Alaska Sheepskin. Now THAT works for keeping the boys cool!

Thought I would stay more planted in the seat.

Haven't noticed any difference

But it sure generates lots of questions and I've noticed a few people rubbin' the seat to see what it feels like! I've now noticed that Rocky Mayer has put one of my pics on his site as well.

Regards,

Mike O

Jerry_75_Guy

As others will say, if you're trying for an inexpensive solution, try sheepskin

first, then if further help is needed try an Airhawk seat pad (with or without

the sheepskin).

I have a comfort seat, and am happy with it, having done 1000+ mile days

on it (I also had on padded biking shorts for those rides though), so my experience doesn't help much, but my wife had problems similar to your own

and the Airhawk, sheepskin combo has brought her from 150mi max per day,

to 450mi days (her longest so far), and she was still fine at the end of the day.

Otherwise, based on the cumulative wisdom here, the Russell is your best

bet: lay down the $$$ and don't look back.

O.K...I'm leaning toward the Russell or Bill Mayer, but man are they expensive.

Pat:

I have two russell seats and an old Mayer (22 years, became Russell Day Long) seat. Love them. I also have a Bill Mayer saddle on my Guzzi, Like it a lot. If you find the BMW seat too narrow, you should buy a Russell. They are wide and support your whole butt, like a baby in a cradle! I advise to get leather, because it breathes and keeps you from getting diaper rash. The seat (solo) will cost you probably $550.00, but it is worth every penny (IMO). The Russell that is on my RT was on my '97 RT for 55K, it looks like new, excellent build quality.

Bob

thumbsup.gif

Pat,

I used the stock seat and had similar problems. I bought a Sargent and have felt a world of difference. It may not work for you, but find someone with a different seat, plant your self and check out how it feels. They are expensive so choose wisely.

Happy Ridin' thumbsup.gif

I experienced all the problems you describe with my stock seat.

It is my experience that seat jacks do not solve the sliding forward problem, it just lessens it. As far as the comfort of stock... tongue.gif

I now have a Mayer seat. My ass hasn't complained much for two years. I still have the seat jacks I made, and the combo is great. The Mayer saddles are soft, yet firm enough for my hooning around. PIcked'em up from IBMW.org for $350.

As you're seeing, there are as many answers as there are butts.

I personally went with a Corbin and it's worked well for me. It's firm, but shaped well for my build. I occasionally add an Alaska Sheepskin Butt Pat, which really makes everything very comfy.

However, despite having owned a couple of Corbins I'm not blind to their shortcomings. First, they insist on using their own seat pan, which adds weight and often fits poorly. The foam padding is quite firm, though it does conform to your body after a couple thousand miles of riding. And, the Corbin tends to be somewhat wide at the front, splaying your legs outward when at a stop; that's not a problem for me since I'm fairly tall, but for those who are vertically challenged it's a deal-killer.

I'd suggest that you locate a few different owners and try different options. Russells tend to get high marks, as do the Mayer seats. Sargent also does an excellent job--I think their seats are a little nicer looking than the others, but they're not as cushy. The good news is that there are lots of options.

I'd actually advise you to first try seat jacks and either an Airhawk or a sheepskin cushion. YOu'll save a load of money, as opposed to an aftermarket seat, and you may be satisfied. If you're not, you can sell the other stuff on eBay or in our classifieds, then blow the big bucks on a custom seat.

I've had experience with Mayer, Russell, Alaska Leather and the comfort saddle. PM for details. I'm not prepared to list experiences here...yet....

clap.gif I've used Corbin (didn't work for me...poor fit and not comfortable), and Sargent, which has been absolutely the BEST. 1K days are no problem, and I'm 56 years old!

Check out some and see what you prefer!

Rudley

Archived