IGNORED

Faults to date with the 12RT

tickle_my_tummy

tickle_my_tummy

Just thought I'd jot down the faults with my 12RT to date, total miles between 13 & 14K. I'm not going to the shed to check tongue.gif

A headlight bulb blew at about 12k

Water getting into the left indicator switch in the last day or so causing havoc with the hazards and so on grin.gif. New one on order.

Faulty top box locking mechanism. This was a result of replacing the lock to single key operation. Just one of those mistakes and the box was replaced under warranty.

Bar ends and the black sections on the h/bars seem to be fading much faster than they did on the 1150. Maybe its just this particular bike.

Indicator lenses filling with condensation/water - the left is worse than the right. They're to be replaced under warranty next time I can get to the dealer.

Black plastic finish on the dash, mirror housing etc. was looking horrible until I was recommended to use Pro Prep made by Silkolene - fantastic stuff!

No problems so far with leaky oil seals etc. The dash is absolutely watertight.

Not a lot to report but if there's more in the future I'll add them. I'm interested to know if these little problems are encountered by other riders?

Hi Paul ,glad to see you in MCN Aug 24, along with myself, and our impressions of the R1200RT V R1150RT.

8.5K on our RT, on third rear tyre, 2nd front, (Bridgestone 020) exhaust end can replaced under warranty, slight chrome peeling.

Uses hardly any oil now, everything else is fantastic.

Upgraded headlight bulbs to PIAA.

What tyres/mileage are you getting, I ride two up ALL the time. grin.gifgrin.gif

4500 miles and no faults of any kind. Did the 6000 mile service before putting it away for the winter. Less than one quart of oil used during the 3900 miles driven after the 600 mile service.

After one 1100R and two 1150R's, this is the best new "R" I have had as far as "issues" during the first few months of ownership.

I have the on board computer. The display cannot be read during the day when the lighting is poor or during a sunny day when the display is in a shadow. This problem exists to such an extent that the display is nearly useless during the day.

I would think that the installation of a shelf would make the problem worse. Can anyone comment on this?

I have the on board computer. The display cannot be read during the day when the lighting is poor or during a sunny day when the display is in a shadow. This problem exists to such an extent that the display is nearly useless during the day.

I would think that the installation of a shelf would make the problem worse. Can anyone comment on this?

Mine has been readable under all conditions so far. Is it possible for a tech to adjust the brightness or contrast?

all the best,

Mike

Had no readability problems at all. Have you tried adjusting the brightness (RH button)? Or you may have a dodgy display.

I'm really scratching around for problems but FWIW - Only problems are accuracy (lack of) of on board computer functions - an irritant rather than anything else. Panniers are becoming slightly loose. Once just stopped for no apparent reason but immediately restarted and has not happened since. Cruise control is a bit unsteady at 30mph (fine elsewhere).

A couple of other problems but in neither case the fault of the bike, BM or the dealer (or me wink.gif)

Paul

I'm with Paul,

Temp gauge inaccurate and I thought the mpg was out ........ only reading 37.6 mpg . Having had the bike serviced [ they could find no fault ] , and reset it , I now find I'm back up to 50 plus mpg ....so I must have been " using the rev range !! " [ for that read .....mostly trying to keep up with George and Andy ] .

The only other thing I noticed [ nearly jumped out of the seat ] is how loud the horn is .....which is good ..in a pheasant [ latin name ......... phasianus colchicus .....or dopius bastardus ] warning sort of way !!

It's a cracking bike for me and I love it .

Steve

tickle_my_tummy

George - fame at last grin.gif

I'm using Michelin Pilot Roads and on the third rear. I change the tyres at 6k regardless for convenience but I think the front would do 8k. They definitely cover more miles than the 020's. I've used them on a track day and there was no shortage of grip. I shaved the right footrest blob and the cylinder guard smirk.gif

Interesting to see that no-one has seal problems etc. I'll be keeping an eye on that exhaust.

Hi Steve - still hope to see you there one day soon! Your indicators are okay then?

Yes no problems with the indicators, my tyres look like doing 9000 miles, and the mpg on the computer show an average of 55, I have yet to check its accuracy though.

We will have to synchronize our services smile.gif

Steve Carter

When you used Pro Prep made by Silkolene, did that change the factory "matt" finish on the plastic to a finish with a high shine/reflection?

(While it is unfortunate to hear about people not liking their factory radios, it does make me glad I decided to abstain from installing the radio and just plug an MP3 player into my Autocom for occasional music.)

this happens to me also, only if the bike is sitting in the sun for a while...Once under way the display brightens right back up..it takes a mile or two..im not really worried about it..

when im riding and the sun is behind me i can still see the display fine...i have it set on the darkest setting...

9,000 miles in 3 months. Just completed a 5k 2 week tour.

I'm leaving in 3 days for another 7 day 2k tour.

Still on the original Michelins, looks like I have 3k remaining.

Bike averages over 50 mpg

Burning oil, but never at a alarming rate, and getting better.

The BC stuff all reads on the low side (pessimistic) from the air temp to mgp.

Everything else is working fine.

Still catch too many false neutrals. The problem is not the bike but me, switching from the Honda and back confuses me. The 1300 is slicker shifting and a short throw from 1st to 2nd, but the 12 shifts way better than the 1100 series.

So far so good.

Just a couple of problems:

-Original seat (low version) crap. Replaced with Bill Mayers. Happy buns now.

-Lock on top box wouldn't work. Fixed under warrenty.

-ABS was faulting/not setting sometimes. Shop said that one of the brake switches was incorrectly adjusted.

-ESA crapped out on the way to Torrey. Was riding two-up, fully loaded, and the system reverted back to "One Helmet" and wouldn't change. Dampning was still adjustable, but with all that weight, was a very harsh ride. Shop called yesterday & said that it was simply a sensor that needed adjustment. No need to replace any parts.

-Too much glare from instrument panel. They should've used a frosted lens over the speedo/tach.

-Eats tires for lunch. Came with Metzlers, and the rears have been wearing out at 6-7000. Will try Pilot Roads next. Got about 10K on my 1100. (or just maybe having TOO MUCH FUN with this bike).

MPG has been around 48+. Better at higher speeds. Did a 53 while hooning in Torrey.

By the way, BMW of Ventura County-->GOOD PEOPLE!!!

Thanks for the reply. The display has two modes - day and night which I expect you already know. The night mode can be adjusted with the right control - the day mode brightness cannot be controlled. The display can easily be read with the sun shining directly on it. I have asked the dealer about this and he seems to think it is normal that some people have a problem reading it. So far three riders have experienced the problem with this display. They represent an age span of over 20 years so it appears it is not just my old eyes.

Have you (or anyone) heard or read about any other ideas as to improving the readability of the onboard computer display during daylight?

I went in to the dealer yesterday, and asked about this. I had read the manual, but was having trouble getting to the brightness adjustment as described in the manual. Well, don't know what I did wrong, it looked like what he did - but - the setting is now with the greatest "brightness " - actually I think the greatest contrast - now. Very easy to read. I did not see a different adjustment for nightime in the manual, maybe I need to look again. My had been set near the middle of the scale before.

All the best,

Mike

tickle_my_tummy

Sorry James - I've been away for a couple of days. The Pro Prep finish is very natural. It doesn't gloss or make it look tacky. It makes it look like new. Amazing stuff.

I'm sure we'll meet up Steve.

Has anyone else had a problem with the retaining cords for the lids of the panniers?? The plastic clip on the end of the cords keep coming loose from their locating points in the lids, which means that on several occasions when openeing the panniers the lids have flopped all the way open and hit the road. Result? Scratched panier lids!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I reckon this is a design fault by BMW, they should just not jump out of their attachment places like that. Am using pukka BMW inner bags too, so it's not as though there are loose items floating around inside the panniers that could cause a problem. Anyone else had a similar experience???

tickle_my_tummy

Hi Graeme - I did have one pannier lid drop down so I pressed the end bit in harder than I wanted - but hey presto in it went and it's stayed that way. Not very technical but worked a treat grin.gif

Has anyone else had a problem with the retaining cords for the lids of the panniers?? The plastic clip on the end of the cords keep coming loose from their locating points in the lids, which means that on several occasions when openeing the panniers the lids have flopped all the way open and hit the road. Result? Scratched panier lids!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I reckon this is a design fault by BMW, they should just not jump out of their attachment places like that. Am using pukka BMW inner bags too, so it's not as though there are loose items floating around inside the panniers that could cause a problem. Anyone else had a similar experience???

Hi There Graham, I know what you mean, it has happened to me a couple of times too.

I too use the BMW inner bags, and I think when they are quite full that is half the problem.

When you open the panniers I noticed the liner crumples up a little which catches the cord and snags it out of the cord holder.

What it really should have is some sort of cord lock that you could un-lock, should you ever need to open the lid fully (Why you should, I don't know, except maint))

Luckily I have been stood guard whilst I open the panniers and managed to notice the cord not attached to the lid and save it....

Has anyone else had a problem with the retaining cords for the lids of the panniers
The dealer warned me of this tendency when I took delivery.

Paul

Archived