IGNORED

Non Synthetic Oil For 1200 engines?

MoroCycler

I just took out my RT12 from the BMW dealer workshop, it went in for the 10,000 kms service.

When I received the bike I asked the technician if then, from now on, I would need to refill oil with Synthetic, as I did with my former GSA1150?

He answered that the 1200 hexheads engines were designed to run ONLY on mineral oil, all the time and that if I used synthetic I could void my warranty.

Is this true?

I don't believe it... what does your owners manual state with regard to oil??

My 1200RT has over 15,000 KM on it and I'm still using Spectro mineral oil in it.

I just took out my RT12 from the BMW dealer workshop, it went in for the 10,000 kms service.

When I received the bike I asked the technician if then, from now on, I would need to refill oil with Synthetic, as I did with my former GSA1150?

He answered that the 1200 hexheads engines were designed to run ONLY on mineral oil, all the time and that if I used synthetic I could void my warranty.

Is this true?

No it is not true. On my R1200ST, I switched to Mobil 1 15/50 Synthetic at 4,700 miles, for about 1000 miles after that it seemed to burn more oil then it settled down. The bike now has over 14,000 miles and I have not added any oil in the last 4,500 miles and it is still just above the center dot. Don't be sucked in by all the old wives tales out there.

Does anybody know about a link direct to the BMW factory where I can ask?

I don´t want to ruin my engine just because an ignorant BMW motorcycle dealer is doing mistakes.

Mostly that I´ve been told that from a company who would make my warranty valid (or void), if needed!

Thanks

Archived