IGNORED

Flip Face Helmet Reviews

ncsonderman

I'd like to hear some real world experiences with some of the flip face helmets. I have read reviews that list the Vega helmet above the Nolan etc. I still would feel better purchasing a better name helmet for my wife than a Vega. Price is somewhat an issue meaning I don't want to spend $400 or $500 for something that'll be worn only a few times a year. I am leaning toward the Nolan N100 series over the HJC and shoei.

What do you recommend for a comfortable and quiet flip face helmet? I will stick with my full face arai. cool.gif

I have an N100 and like it. The only way for you to know is to try 'em on. Everybody's head is a little different shape and what works for one won't necessarily work for another. I tried on the Schuberth, the new Nolan X-lite, and a couple of Shoei hats, and the N100 was best for me. What a bonus that it was also the lowest cost!

Quality, construction and convenience of the N100 are all execllent.

I know this exceeds your target price, and the Nolan is liked by many, but ... If you run across a good used Shuberth Concept you may wish to consider it. The flip down sunscreen seems like a gimmic, but remember our first thoughts on heated grips, heated seats, and adjustable windscreens? Concpet sizes are "weird", so a trial fit is important. ex: I wear a L Shoei ,but XXL Concept.

Happy hunting. cool.gif

Thanks for the info. I've tried them on and it feels pretty solid. My inlaws are in Southington so we'll have to meet up when we travel up North next spring! We will travel up 77 with a little dog in my wifes lap. The inlaws are all Harley fanatics (The BMW is less of an insult to them than an FJR grin.gif).

Keep the rubber side down

I have an HJC and it is not a quiet helmet unless the screen is all the way up. As for the convenience I wouldn't trade it and go back to a non-flip up. The dealer I bought it from had several Nolans and they seemd like better helmets but they didn't have the right size or color in stock and I wanted it right then. No regrets on the HJC.

The BMW dealer here in Greensboro carries them so I'll try them on when I go in for my 12K service. I love my arai's fit but may be swayed by the flip face versatility.

If you have any good rides (which I know you do!), email them to me. I've just got my bike and can now do one of the things I moved to NC for. RIDE clap.gif! I know about Deal's Gap and respect it but think that less is often more. Less traffic = less patrolling = More fun!

jsonderm@wfubmc.edu

Having the right fit is probably the most important factor. Ear plugs can usually fix the noise issue.

The local dealers have HJC, KBC, and Nolan helmets. I'll let her try them all and decide (then I'll order online and save about 40% thumbsup.gif.

My dealer sells, Arai, Shoei, HJC, and a new one that I'm going to test ride one this week or next called Scorpion. (http://www.scorpionusa.com/). That helmet fit me like a good glove. Even better if the dealer lets you test ride stuff! Thats why i buy all my street gear from my bmw dealer.

I can assure you that the Concept sunscreen is not a gimic. I compared the Shoei Syncrotec & the Schubreth as they fit my head shape and the Concept won, no regrets. For glasses wearers that have polarized lenses it makes it VERY difficult to read some of the displays. My biggest plus is that when sunset passes I just flip up the sun sheild and do not have to stop and change glasses. thumbsup.gif

I tried the Shoei, Nolan, Vega, HJC, Schubert and none of them fit me right. I tried the Fullmer and while at the shop it "fit right". Sadly, it was very noisy, also on long trips a terrible itch and burning sensation in my head would develop and it was painful to endure. Later on, the cheap materials of the hinges, springs and plastic parts of the flip chin were apparent. They all broke crazy.gif

You can ride with the chin up at low speeds, but at high speeds it will pull your head back, even with the windshield all the way up.

So I got me a Bell Mag-8. This is a sweet helmet, much better than the flip kind, perfect for hot summers. And the price is excellent. Just a little noisy, but with the winshield up is just air rushing. Additionally, it has room to slide in headphones.

05Black.jpg

I always had a full face helmet since I only had sport bikes. The protection it provides "just in case" cannot be argued. So I am gettinmg a full face helmet for riding on cold weather or when it rains. Hope this helps.

I bought the HJC and have no regrets. It is noisy, but with my Aeroflow windscreen, I don't even need ear plugs anymore, so noise isn't an issue. I really like how fast the visors change out. It usually only takes about 1-2 minutes or less. The shell is subjuct to scrathcing, although I haven't really scratched it yet after 9 months by being careful. It is VERY comfortable on my noggin. The Schuberth I tried on gave me a headache in about 2 minutes.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I bought a Nolan X-Lite 1002 at the beginning of this year. It fit's great (YMMV) has a removable liner so you can get the road/hair grime out, and seems to be very well put together. I like the helmet and would buy another. The pin-lock anti-fog insert is the best thing since sliced bread, but the flip down sunshade is only moderately useable. Since it's so far away from my eyes, it doesn't do a very good job of cutting out glare coming up from the bike and road. I usually prop it up a click or two and use it as a visor over my field of vision. However, it does come in handy when the sun is in front of you and low. The vents are marginal behind the big 'ole screen on my RT, so I end up riding with the shield up a click or two a lot in the summer. The helmet is no noisier than my Arai Quantum (or whatever it was) and fits better with earplugs. The autocom install is a breeze.

My S.O. wears a Nolan flip face and loves it. I wear an HJC Symax and really like it. It's not as noisy as my Arai Signet. HJC was the only flip I could find that fit my head.

Perry Younker

Hi Ncsonderman,

I ride with only flip-face helmets. I use 2: HJC Symax, and Shuberth Concept. However I also own a few HJC full face helmets (got them before the flip-faces).

Fit, as has been pointed out, is everything. Best thing that can happen to you is to put on a helmet and have it start hurting right away...then you know to STAY AWAY from that one. *heh*.

The Shuberth is quieter than the Symax. I think this is maily due to the "skirt" that goes around the base of the helmet. The "skirt" also makes it warmer in the summer.

Here in Atlanta, the heat and humidity REALLY get to me. Either flip-face sure helps a lot when I stop for gas or whatnot. I don't have to remove the helmet to get heat relief. And that is a "biggie" for me. I do everything I can to help ease the effects of summer heat. (same is true for winter cold, but that is easier to control than heat).

The Shuberth flip down sun visor is a godsend. I absolutely love and appreciate the thing, especially when the sun is close to the horizon. But it comes in very handy during mid-day too.

I find that I prefer using the Shuberth much more than the Symax, any time of year. The Symax is lighter. The Symax fits me a tad better. I'm not real fond of the quick release on the Shuberth, I prefer the "strap and rings" method. I like the Symax center-of-chin release for the flip front. The Shuberth's release is on the side, making it a two hand operation to lift the front. The Shuberth is bad about letting rain in at the top of the visor. Good news is that the rain runs right down the shield, past the chin piece, and out. Maybe the newer Shuberth's address this. Both my helmets are a few years old.

As a note, I always wear protective glasses, day or night, and I always wear earplugs. Also, I never am in motion on the bike with the flip-face up.

Again, fit is everything. It can really narrow down your options.

Archived