IGNORED

Oil usage on R1200RT

PhillipF

I did my first oil change at 600 miles - it took 4 quarts, 8 ounces. I've put about 900 miles on the bike since then, and my oil warning light just came on. I put another 8 ounces in, and the oil in the sight glass is now at the half-way point.

I also have an R1200GS, and it doesn't use any oil. Has anyone else had this "problem" with their bikes? Do anyone think that this oil usage is abnormal?

Thanks

Phil

My ST guzzled oil after the 600 mile service (Done at 1100 miles). Now at 6000 miles, no oil usage. Just had a break in period, I guess. Just hit the rev limiter a bunch, and she breaks in just fine!

This is very normal. Boxer engines have extremely hard cylinder linings and they take a loooong time to full seat in. It is not unheard of for oil consumption to not fully level out until about 20K is on the bike.

Thanks for your advice. I had actually heard about the oil consumption problems, but I had just never experienced it. This RT is my fourth boxer, and the oil consumption is something new. I'll keep my eye on it.

I'd heard about this before, but this is my first boxer. I've been consuming approximately one additional quart about every thousand miles. Before I take off on a high-mileage trip I pack an additional quart of Castrol in my cases. About every other refueling I put the bike up on its centerstand, refill the gas, let the oil level settle, then check the oil sight gauge. Often I'll put another 1/4 or 1/2 quart in at that point. At this time I've only got about 12k on the bike.

Is a US quart the same as an imperial one (i.e. about 1.1 litres)? If so that consumption seems very high even by Boxer standards. All of my boxers have consumed oil; on average, about 0.3litre per 1000 miles. The 1200RT is running at rather below this level.

Paul

I've got 2500 miles on mine. Oil consumption has been surprisingly low. After the 600 mile service, it really didn't need any oil until around the 2K mark, and even then it was just a few ounces to bring it back to the top of the glass.

Don't ya just luv stooping over with a flashlight to check it - what a joy!

tickle_my_tummy

My bike's just over the 13k and I've noticed since the 6k service that the oil consumption is getting less. This is my 4th Boxer and as Ken says they take aaaaaaaaaages to run in. I'm interested to see what the consumption will be like around the 20k mark.

I had a similar experience. Had my 600 mile check and went on a 4 day 1700 mile trip. After about 1200 miles my oil indicator icon indicated that the oil level needed to be checked. It was halfway down the sight glass indicating about 1/4 quart low (8 oz). I topped off and after the 1700 miles, it was about the same level as when I topped off. It's hard to beleive that it burned 8 oz of oil in 600 miles, although I must admit I was driving well above speed limit levels (had my stealth cover activated). Will continue to monitor.

From new and till the 600 mile service the sight glass was full, actually over the top because I never saw an oil level.

Since then, The shop put in 20-50 and I swear this thing is drinking oil! I have just over 2k on it now and almost every couple of weeks I am adding oil because the indicator comes on . I even overfilled it a bit thinking it would last longer. Yesterday it was down about 1/2 glass again.

I dont think I baby it but I am not real hard on it either.

Rich

Archived