IGNORED

Genuine Alaskan sheepskin vs. genuine Saskatchewan sealskin

RodB

Several weeks ago, there were some posts here praising the service and benefits of "Alaskan Leather" sheepskin buttpads. So, after reading these posts I went ahead and ordered a set (rider & passenger) for my 12RT. As posted before, the service was excellent; but what I really want to say is: amongst the many add-ons and accessories that I've put on my bike, this is probably the one that I would give up last. They are great.

And to think, being Canadian, I could've gone for the genuine Saskatchewan sealskin.....

Rod

Amen to Alaska Leather Buttpads. I've got a brand new Airhawk sitting in a pile behind me. The Buttpad is superior IMHO. The ladies at Alaska Leather are the best and deserve a call. smile.gif

ClearwaterBMW

as i once mentioned a while ago, i've never seen better service than alaska butt pads....

i ordered one day

and it was at my house 2 days later

they are in alaska and i am in florida.... and i have NO idea how that happened when i did NOT pay for expedited shipping.

greg

...and i have NO idea how that happened when i did NOT pay for expedited shipping.

greg

Ditto great service and great product.

When you pay 'Expedited' shipping, it arrives before you place the order. thumbsup.gif

Regards,

Mike O

Have a friend who lives in Ontario, Canada. He was using a seal skin for years until US customs confiscated it due "endangered species", which is a US thing not a Canadian thing. If I remember correctly he was going out to Labrador to get another due to sheepskins being inferior for motorcycle seat duty.

as i once mentioned a while ago, i've never seen better service than alaska butt pads....

i ordered one day

and it was at my house 2 days later

they are in alaska and i am in florida.... and i have NO idea how that happened when i did NOT pay for expedited shipping.

greg

Same here (except that I am in Colorado). I don't know how they got it out so fast-I ordered Saturday afternoon-and they told me they would make it from the next batch, since I wanted the darker grey-and I still had it by Tuesday. Amazing service-and I love the pad too!

Lynn

since i've never tried the sheepskin, but you all rave about it...what does it do to make it so great? i'm fairly comfy on my current seat, but would love to be really comfy.

thanks in advance.

You know that feeling where the seat, your jeans, underwear and skin all feel like they have all been pressed into one hot, sweaty, painful layer? When you get off the bike and have to peel your jeans away from your butt like duct tape? (graphic enough for ya? blush.gif) The sheepskin allows your butt to breath and will extend your ride by a few hours before that feeling sets in. thumbsup.gif

If that never happens to you, be damn happy and don't worry about a sheepskin. cool.gif

ClearwaterBMW

Brian, my friend

i love mine

buy one... they aren't even expensive/they arrive almost before you order them/they are made and distributed by some of the nicest people on earth (and we all agree about patronizing nice, motorcycle-friendly folks)

and.....

amost everyone who has one.... loves them

get one... you won't regret it

greg

A seal walks into a bar.

The bartender says "What will you have?"

The seal says "Anything but a Canadian Club"

Sorry, couldn't resist. wink.gif

Husker Red nailed it. I don't know how anybody can ride in the Summer without one.

Few weeks back, I took the sheepskin off to wash the bike, then a little drying run that turned into a 100 miler.

By about mile 75, things started to heat up, by mile 85, I COULD NOT WAIT to get off that thing. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Never going to leave home again without it !! smile.gif

I am looking to add one on top of my Sargent seat. Will it fit on it as good as stock? And does it sit you higher if so how much?

Use mine on a Sargent low seat. Fits like it was cut for that seat - looks fine. Compressed the sheepskin is probably 1/4 to 3/8's of an inch thick. It, obviously, makes a little difference, but not much.

since i've never tried the sheepskin, but you all rave about it...what does it do to make it so great?thanks in advance.

As already pointed out, the air circulation helps quite a bit to keep your derriere dry and comfy in warmer weather (though I do question whether any human being's butt actually "breathes" blush.gif). The sheepskin also serves as insulation from the cold when the temperature drops.

Additionally, it's compressible and helps a bit in distributing pressure, so you're less likely to experience hot spots or numbness. It's a very low-tech product (basically just a nice piece of sheepskin with elastic straps) that performs exceptionally well. I'd guess that it increases your height in the saddle by about 1/4". An excellent product. thumbsup.gif

.....being Canadian, I could've gone for the genuine Saskatchewan sealskin.....

Might be a little difficult. There are no seals within thousands of miles of Saskatchewan. grin.gif

Bob.

This thread has been great for me. Thanks guys. I just ordered one for mine. Barb informed me that if you order one through the website and type in "deadsheep" or ("cheapsheep" if you're in California)in the coupon section you will get 10% off. The same applies of coarse if you are a BMWOA member. Anyway looking foward to getting mine. We'll let you know how it goes.

Been thinking about getting one of these for months. No serious misgivings about the factory Comfort seat; just looking for that extra notch of comfort.

Oh well, just ordered one. What the heck.

ordered last thursday rec'd today. monday was holiday so pretty quick via post office. forgot to give them my bmwnoa number at time of order(cc had been processed already by this time) so i emailed it. $6 cash in package representing 10% discount! dig it.

.....being Canadian, I could've gone for the genuine Saskatchewan sealskin.....

Might be a little difficult. There are no seals within thousands of miles of Saskatchewan. grin.gif

Bob.

You've obviously never heard of the small colony of seals near Hazel Dell... tongue.gif

Archived