IGNORED

R12RT RCU shelf ??

David_S

Is anyone running an RCU shelf on a 12RT? If so how does it work for you for as far as movement over bumps, general sturdiness? I had one on an 1150RT and 12GS and they tended to bounce around a lot. I know the BMR shelf is probably rock solid but I don't want to spend that much just to mount XM and V1 since I have the GPS already mounted where I like it.

ClearwaterBMW

they don't bounce when you use LIQUID NAILS

i GLUED the shelf to the BRACKET on the GS....

and it works fine

you can't move the shelf on the bracket....

which is a problem when you want to move your shield

but.... it is great this way for stability

i recomment this highly

ln600_tube.jpg

greg

i have NO experience with the shelf on the RT.... i was speaking only of the 1200GS

greg

I have the RCU shelf on my 12RT. It does tend to bounce some on bumpy roads. That's to be expected since it is cantilevered out over the instrument panel. I have a Garmin 276C mounted on it and have had no problems. The 276C is designed for marine use and on a small or medium sized motor boat it would take a lot more punishment than it takes on the bike. I supect that the combined weight of the Valentine and XM would still be less than the 276C, so I would think there would be even less bouncing.

The quality of the materials and finish is good, as is the price. Works fine for me thumbsup.gif

Brian

I just put it on about a week ago for a radar detector. No doubt it is bouncing a bunch, but is has stayed tight. I hope it is not hurting anything

Guys,

I've seen the RCU shelf in photo's, but I can't figure out how accessories are supposed to be mounted to it. Do you drill holes in it? Duct tape? smile.gif

I recently bought a Beltronics radar/laser detector. It's smooth on the bottom with no screw holes (ala a tripod screw hole on a camera)... no obvious way to mount it to a shelf. It comes with a bracket that suction-cups on to the windsheld of a car and then clicks into the upper part of the unit. I've been thinking of drilling a few holes on my R12RT windshield to use the same bracket (rather than the suction cups that come with the bracket), but I'd love to find a less destructive solution. I inquired about a "spider mount" I found on one of the BMW accessory websites that utilizes the unused mirror attachment point on the handle bar assembly, but I'd still need to find a way to secure my device to the platform of the spider mount.

Any insights into either the RCU shelf mounting or other means of securing the device? I've read too many stories on this site of flawed mounting techniques resutling in freeway-dancing radar detectors.

ClearwaterBMW

industrial strength velcro is amazing stuff

if used correctly, its hold will be strong and true.

as for the dancing radar detector..... NONE are waterproof, so you should buy that legal speeding case which IS mountable, i believe

3866_1sa.jpg

greg

I ordered a mount to go on the handle bar for my 1100RT rather than a shelf. Right now all I have is a radar detector to put up there. MP3 player goes in the tank bag. Is anyone concerned (as my girlfriend was when I showed her a picture) of the metal shelf being neck high? I don't have a throat protector on my helmet. eek.gif

David

I found the farkle shelf kind of neat looking in a different sort of way. I've had good experience with BMR shelf on an LT. The problem is I don't want to dump upwards of $200.00 just to mount the V1 and XM. I have the GPS on a BMW mount and am happy with that. I'm running the other two on RAM mounts now it just makes the cock pit feel a bit crowded. For the price I'll probably just live with the crowding for now. The RCU shelf is priced right but not if it bounces around like the previous models. I tend to ride some pretty rough roads (for an RT) when I'm alone and wandering around and I've had stuff secured with dual lock bounce off of an RCU shelf. Thanks for the replies.

Archived