IGNORED

Cross Control/Counter wieghting is better than Ride Smart...

Whip

I think I've got it.

I'm using a CrossControlRide/CounterSmart technique with a marked improvement in all aspects of my riding abilities.

I can hang off, sit up, go fast, go slow, brake anywhere in a turn, accelerate with reckless abandon and never feel the bike waver.

Tomorrow I'm taking it off the centerstand and heading out on the road.

;)

I think I've got it.

I'm using a CrossControlRide/CounterSmart technique with a marked improvement in all aspects of my riding abilities.

I can hang off, sit up, go fast, go slow, brake anywhere in a turn, accelerate with reckless abandon and never feel the bike waver.

Tomorrow I'm taking it off the centerstand and heading out on the road.

;)

Tim...it sounds like you bought the R1000RR :clap:

Joe Frickin' Friday
Why do we use counter weighting off road????

It ain't to decrease our traction it is to increase our traction.

Counter weighting in some curcunstabces adds traction.

As David 'splained earlier:

The reason you ride dirt differently is because the speeds are lower and the traction won't allow the front to steer conventionally: it just skates or pushes. So you change the contact patch to the inside of the tire's maximum perimeter and let the edge "cut" into the dirt. You're also steering with rear throttle. Same thing with flat-tracking, where you WANT to slide. I don't want to slide at high speeds on pavement except in very controlled conditions.

In soft dirt or sand, cross-controlling can increase traction as the edge of the tire digs into the soft stuff.

On hard pavement with a thin layer of dust, gravel or oil, cross-controlling will do nothing to improve traction. Two reasons:

- There's no soft stuff for the edge of the tire to dig into.

- the lean angles that the bike typically gets pushed to (see Japanese police video upthread showing swerve maneuvers) don't go far enough to get the edge of the tread down to the pavement. If they did somehow get leaned that far, we'd expect loss of traction due to dragging of hard parts, and due to reduced contact patch area.

Cross-controlling does enable very rapid-fire emergency swerve maneuvers, but it will not increase traction.

Cross-controlling does enable very rapid-fire emergency swerve maneuvers, but it will not increase traction.

How about leverage?

The more centralized the riders weight over the tires the lesser the leverage on a tire(s) with marbles under it.

Mitch, I get the theory. There must be something missing when you take it to the road.

When you lean the bike over you actually put more rubber down on the pavement. Street tires don't have edges. They are u shaped.

Keith Code goes over this in one of his lessons.

The dragging parts thing is getting kinda funny. I ain't talking about going anywhere near speeds that would drag hard parts even CCing.

One more time.

If you know your on somethin slimy, going the speed limit and you have to turn the bike, RS will send you to the ground. Cross Controlling will save ya from road rash.

Try it.

I have.

It ain't close.

Maybe?????..........

By adding weight to the top of the bike instead of the side you reduce the slipping. It ain't the edge that saves ya, there is no edge. If I had been cross controlling my FJR at 20 mph(on gravel I didn't see) instead of using RS I would not have gone down and broke my leg.

As I have watch racers styles change over the year it seems to me that the King, Eddy Lawson, Schwantz....they all stayed on top of their bikes more and expected the back wheel to lose traction first. They never wanted that front wheel to get loose.

I think RS puts a lot of trust in the front wheel. I have no problem with that most of the time. Given a choice I would rather have the back wheel go first. I can't save the front end. I have a chance with the rear. (I know the highside is more dangerous than the low.....but again saving the front is not in my bag of tricks.)

If you knew you were on a mixture of diesel fuel / rain water and had to make a 20 to 40 mph 90 degree left turn. You would be crazy to dip that left shoulder like Ewan did. You would loose that front end and be down before you knew what happen. If you cross controlled the bike, you may not slip at all. I have BTDT.

Assuming I am not lying.

Why would you take the chance of using RS if you are not sure about the surface your on? There could be some sand, gravel, or just plain slime.

I think you are more likely to loose your front end with RS and more likely to lose your rear with CC.

Again all of this is in Urban Warfare....not Torrey Hoonin.

No dragging parts come into play.

steve.foote
Or you were following Ken on a BRR route...

Still smartin' huh? :rofl:

I'm still in counseling sessions. :grin:

Archived