IGNORED

Broken gas cap hinge

Tank

I feel so clumsy... Here's the deal, its raining, cold, and ten cars lined for fuel(it seemed) anyways i fumbled the dang gas nossal, you know the one, with a huge fat rubber slieve,And bumped the gas cap, Turns out that the hinge is just a thin cast part that didn"t weather the abuse.... being Sunday, ordering a replacement is a couple of days off. Has anybody broken this henge before? And if so, Any riddles i should be aware of. Any seals, o-rings that i need to replace with the new cap? Thanks , for any input or friendy ribbing

Hey Tank, Ginger broke her gas cap hinge on her '04 R1200C. A&S replaced it under warranty. The mechanic says that it is designed poorly and can break. I take it you are out of warranty?

Whoa, It never occurded to me about warranty... I need to run that by the extended warranty I bought thru my dealer. Thanks Tom for the heads up on that

Clive Liddell

Bill,

If you end up replacing the cap yourself then I would get a new O-ring because the old one will have expanded due to the fuel splash and fumes.

mine broke at the first gas stop of a 1000 mile 24 hr rally,had to duct tape it closed.just be sure to replace the rubber o ring and evenly tourque the allen heads

That what i was looking for, As i have never needed to trmove the gas cap before i thought that some kind of seal was needed.... o-ring thanks

Mine was bent when I got my RTP, I assume from the cops laying the pump nozzle laying on it. Caused the cap cover to not sit down all the way when it was closed. I was very lucky in that when I took it off the bike, and VERY carefully bent it back straight, it didn't break. Looks fine now, and I'm careful where I lay the pump nozzle.

Well my service manager, Russel, thought that the warrenty would cover it and hopfully the part will be at Hansan's BMW in Medford, Oregon this friday. As i'm going on a upstate and into Washington ride of about 1500 miles. this is a timely repair. Quick Fix: one hardware store, two metric bolts longer than stock, two one inch finder washers, remove the two bolts opposite the locking mechanism, replace with longer bolt and finder washers. the cap will slide under the washers and than lock. $1.46 Should get me there.

Fender,fender,fender washer.... A finder washer is a washer one finds laying around waiting to be found?

grin.gif

Don't worry, Tank, I was following you all along . . . but then I speak/read Tankese! grin.gif

I've also heard that with a slight modification (cutting a small notch) the whole gas cap assembly can be turned around to flip AWAY from you. Seems like it would be better that way, so there must be some other reason they all go the OTHER way that I'm just not getting. tongue.gif

Blue Beemer Dude
I've also heard that with a slight modification (cutting a small notch) the whole gas cap assembly can be turned around to flip AWAY from you. Seems like it would be better that way, so there must be some other reason they all go the OTHER way that I'm just not getting. tongue.gif

If it was turned the other way, then it would be backwards! smirk.gif Some highly trained German engineer probably spent weeks working on the gas lid. How dare you presume to know better than he! It's made by German, ja? So it must be correct, ja? Ha! You Americans, you do not understand. We know best. We know what is best for you. Shut up. Give us more of your money.

grin.gif

(All in jest, I love Germans)

Michael

All fixed... I just sprung for the $78.00 and drew a crowd in the parking lot changing it out, which means removing tupperware so as to remove old o-ring and refit new o-ring. Extended warrenty had a $50.00 deductable/with a rider that if i don't use it i get my money back, easy gamble without going to Vagas......... Crag Hansan (owner of dealership) slipped out the lock and installed it into the cap when i wasn't looking than smiled as he handed it to me... heh, I really do wish i could have seen the trick to releaseing the lock, oh well. i do hope there won't be a next time. I was so happy to get the cap overnited and the use of their tools in the parking lot I bought the staff lunch

All fixed [ . . . ]. I was so happy to get the cap overnited and the use of their tools in the parking lot I bought the staff lunch.

WAY Cool!! thumbsup.gif

So, we'll see you in Death Valley in January, then??!! clap.gif

Jamie, I have quit unpacking, so i'm ready for DVD in january, All i need from the scouts is where o where are we gonna meet. Wish i could join you later this month, but darn it, i have to ride to Bend, Oregon for a workshop instead. clap.gifclap.gif

Archived