IGNORED

Garmin 2610 touch screen flaky

PeterD

I searched but didn't find any reference to this problem. My 2610 is about 10 months old and has exhibited a growing problem with the touch screen. At first it would spontaneously jump into the "pan/zoom" screen mode, and I would have to touch the arrow at upper left to return to standard navigation screen. Now it is so bad it is always in that mode and does not respond to touches at all any more. It went from intermittent to totally always bad. I have an email into Garmin tech support to get an RMA, but I also wondered if anyone else has ever seen this sort of failure.

Jamie's at the fire station and left for a call just as I was talking to him about your problem. I called him to point him here since his screen behaves the same way.

His short answer was that you're lucky because yours is still under warranty. His is out. It'll cost him a couple hundred plus just to get it looked at.

I do know he gives it a whack once in a while and it seems to put it back on track. He calls it percussive maintenance. grin.gif

I do know he gives it a whack once in a while and it seems to put it back on track. He calls it percussive maintenance. grin.gif

I've had similar problems with the 2610 screen ... same solution as Jamie's: a nice THUMP to the screen and it seems to work again. A common enough problem that makes me wonder if it's a feature rather than a bug.

Bill in Vermont

My 2610 is about 8 months old, and gets a fog in part of the screen from time to time. Not every ride, but sometimes. It clears up in a half hour or so, but is anoying. Anyone else have this problem? Bill in Vermont

My 2610 is about 8 months old, and gets a fog in part of the screen from time to time. Not every ride, but sometimes. It clears up in a half hour or so, but is anoying. Anyone else have this problem? Bill in Vermont
Similar problem, on the 2720, is being talked about over here:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38101

I don't think this should happen as the unit is supposed to be waterproof ("IPX-7" = submersible in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes).

At 8 months old it should still be still under warranty, so I would at least call Garmin...

Me, I get that problem. I keep meaning to send it back. Apart from the condensation behind the screen I also get a peeping sound whilst riding as though I had pressed a button repeatedly. The screen then goes into pan mode and I have to press the arrow button at the top left.

I (temporarily) cured it by sticking a piece of black sticky tape over the infrared eye because I noticed it only happened in bright sunlight.

Me, I get that problem. I keep meaning to send it back. Apart from the condensation behind the screen I also get a peeping sound whilst riding as though I had pressed a button repeatedly. The screen then goes into pan mode and I have to press the arrow button at the top left.

I (temporarily) cured it by sticking a piece of black sticky tape over the infrared eye because I noticed it only happened in bright sunlight.

There is a new update for the BMW Navigator II (same as Garmin 2610) that allows you to disable the infrared sensor. The update is version 4.40. I assume Garmin will be releasing this soon for the 2610.

Steve

There is a new update for the BMW Navigator II (same as Garmin 2610) that allows you to disable the infrared sensor. The update is version 4.40.

Nice. This 4.40 (second link from top), although listed as only working with the Nav II, will update the more pedestrian 2610 as well:

earlyadopter.gif

I scanned the options, and didn't see anything to disable the IR sensor though.

I had this problem with my 2610......kept clicking and changing screens like an invisible finger was touching it. Garmin received my unit and promptly sent me a new one, problem fixed..........your mileage may vary. thumbsup.gif

MattS,

In the 4.40 zip file, there is a pdf that shows the option on the menu...

The example in the pdf is in German, but it might help.

Eric

there is a pdf

Nice, I didn't see that earlier ... a few pages in they've graciously translated it into die Englisch ... should have known, from my experience with Custom Tabs, that there would be a secret pressing of the MENU somewhere in there.

Of course, the killer app in 4.40 is the inclusion -- enfin et finalement -- of French Canadian as an audio language: hoo-boy.

Changes from 4.30 to 4.40:

Problems Corrected:

1) Improved route transfers from MapSource with multiple via points.

Features Added:

1) Added ability to disable remote control input.

2) Added support for Portuguese and Canadian French audio languages.

To obtain these voice languages, you will need to download and install

the latest audio database after this software update is complete.

Archived