IGNORED

R1200RT engine holds high idle sometimes

Richard G

Something I have noticed occasionally. I start the bike and the idle is fine at 1k rpm. Maybe after 30 seconds or so I start riding and the bike feels ok.

But I get about one or two blocks away and release the throttle to slow down for the intersection and its like the engine is stuck on a high idle.

Even though I closed the throttle the bike keeps pulling at about the same speed. So I pull in the clutch, and stop.

The idle returns to normal and from then on I notice no problem. Now this does not every time that I ride the bike.

So far in 2,000 miles maybe 3 or 4 times. And only when the bike is cold.

It seems like the management system is still trying to adjust for a cold engine.

Maybe I should let the engine warm up a bit longer before starting the ride?

How long do some of you let the bike warm up before starting your ride?

Thanks Rich

Not a lot of warm up for me. Enough to get the oil circulating and then slow driving until warmed up. Never had this problem though.

Could be the spangers or the left hand reverse thread toggle switch.

(I'm joking, I made that up, havent a clue really) confused.gif

Hi

My 1200RT had this problem and I had it cured by the dealer doing an upgrade of the bike software a couple of months ago

Cheers

This is a problem with the bike. Not warm up time or other rider related issues. No warm up is needed. Take it in to the dealer and have them run a diag on it.

The problem is your battery. The canbus monitors voltage and if your voltage is too low it increases the idle speed to charge it back up. Once it is satisfied with the charge level, it will return to normal. You may try starting your bike with the high beam off and any other power goodies and I bet it will never do it.

The problem is your battery. The canbus monitors voltage and if your voltage is too low it increases the idle speed to charge it back up. Once it is satisfied with the charge level, it will return to normal. You may try starting your bike with the high beam off and any other power goodies and I bet it will never do it.
Are you sure?

It seems really out there that BMW would intentionally jeopardize rider safety (with an abnormal no return to idle) just to satisfy a battery charging requirement. If this was a "feature" of the CAN-BUS equipped bikes I'd think we would be hearing howling everywhere.

According to the manual, there is a high idle of 1300 rpm when there is a significant battery drain. Not an issue for rider safety at that level I would have thought. I don't know if Rich is experiencing a faster idle than this (which could well be unnerving!).

Paul

Well agreed, 1300 isn't high enough to be of a concern. For some reason I got the impression the OP was talking much higher. But I guess he didn't actually say.

Rich, what RPM is it 'sticking' at?

Hi again, I guess a bit more info is needed.

My bike has no radio or esa, and no extra electrical hookups at all. Does have heated grips and seats, but all were turned off.

I havent started the bike with the high beam switch on.

I think I gave the post a wrong title as the only time I have experienced this, the bike is moving and not just sitting idling.

I really cant give an rpm because each time it happened I was watching traffic, and when I released the throttle to slow down, basically it just kept going at the same speed.

Almost like the cruise control was on. The cruise control was definitely off as I rarely use it.

Once I pulled the clutch in and braked, it didnt do it again.

I was usually in 2nd or 3rd gear maybe 30-35 mph.

Both times lately it happened when I was only 1-2 blocks out of my driveway.

So initially I thought it was the computer sensing a still cold engine. I will try to get more info if I catch it again, but when you are not expecting something like that it kind of throws you.

I took it out last night for a nice ride and all was fine.

I will still ask the dealer about it this week.

Rich

ShovelStrokeEd

Sounds to me like the idle air control motors opening to compensate for cold engine (fast idle mode ). That can be as high as 2200 to 2500 RPM and might account for what is going on. It shouldn't really go that high at the likely moderate early temperatures in your neck of the woods but, your air or coolant temperature sensor(s) could also be out of calibration.

Another less likely possibility. Some of the 1200GS' suffered from a very similar sounding problem particularly around 2500 rpm. This was solved via a software update from BMW. Might be worth getting your dealer to check that you have the latest software loaded.

Paul

For what its worth, mine does the same thing and it doesn't matter if its cold or warmed up. It is intermittent and holds a little over 2k rpm. If I wait long enough it returns to a normal idle, but I usually just let the cluch out a little to drag the idle down. Annoying. I will be taking in for 6k very soon and I will see what the dealer says. I don't think this was a problem until after the 600 m maintenance.

Thanks again, I couldnt say whether mine started after the 600 service, but its possible. I dont remember it happening much before that.

While its there I have to see if they have got a fix for the horns cutting out also.

Rich

as the only time I have experienced this, the bike is moving and not just sitting idling.

I really cant give an rpm because each time it happened I was watching traffic, and when I released the throttle to slow down, basically it just kept going at the same speed.

Thats exactly what I had Rich it felt like the ABS release when hitting a washboard surface. My bike appeared to stop decelerating at about 2000rpm for about 300rpm and then would continue on with normal deceleration. It scared the hell out of me as it could happen in junctions or roundabouts until the software upgrade fixed it. It was also more pronounced whilst the engine is cold and would not be consistent once fully warmed up.

Regards

Archived