IGNORED

Easter Egg?? Turn off the headlight with Engine on. - R1200ST

R4ND0M_AX3

Found some info here.

http://www.r1200st.de/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=273

1. Ignition on, Kill switch on (bike ready to start).

2. Hold turn signal cancel for 6 seconds.

3. Hold right turn signal for 6 seconds.

4. Start Bike.

The headlight will stay off while parking light aka side light will stay on.

Might be good for service when the bike needs to be running but you don't want/need the headlight.

This also works if you have the engine on then use the kill switch to shut off the motor. Follow the steps above and the headlight will turn off after step 3.

Not sure if there is a sequence to turn the light back on without turning the key off.

I just tried it. It works. As soon as you turn the engine/ignition off and then restart the engine, the headlights come back on.

The last time I was doing a TBS sync, I noticed the headlight assembly was pretty hot to the touch. This will help avoid that.

You have to wonder though, what else is BMW not telling us about the Canbus system?

Thanks, I just wonder who figured this out?

Is this in a repair manual somewhere or did someone just keep trying button combinations to see what will happen?

Rich

Thanks for the cool insight into the inner electrical workings of the ST. I printed out these instructions because I too, will be doing my own TBS in the next maintenance cycle. Tom just bought me, he's so thoughtful, the maintenance CD for my ST. I will be doing the 6000 mile, once that occurs. I went out to the site you linked, you must translate German? Many, many years ago, my sister and I were learning German to sing in a Polka band eek.gif That never transpired but we do have German ancestry, my mom's maiden name was Oberlander, I think it means "Over the land". Is there an English version to the site link you provided? Just curious ... it was very cool for you to supply the information and I too would be interested in any other information in this forum on the ST.

Ginger

You have to wonder though, what else is BMW not telling us about the Canbus system?

I have a 2005 Toyota Prius, which came with an incredibly annoying beep that was activated whenever you were in reverse gear. It beeped inside the car, but could not be heard outside. Huh? Someone got ahold of a technical computer manual (not intended for mere owners) that described some incredibly intricate sequences to go through in order to re-program various features of the computer system. It was like reading a how-to manual for occult rituals. Turning off the beep required going to the button for the odometer, holding it in for several seconds, then performing five or six other rituals, at the end of which the beep is gone, never to return. Lots of other things in this car, which is a geek's delight, can be reprogrammed in similar ways. My guess is, the headlight on the BMW is not the only thing that can be altered once you have access to the inner mysteries. Press brake, kick cat, remove spark plug wire, blow horn, and behold, the oil level readout provides stock quotes.

Press brake, kick cat, remove spark plug wire, blow horn, and behold, the oil level readout provides stock quotes.
Now THAT would be useful, because heaven knows it's useless for reading the oil level! dopeslap.gif

BTW, the sequence to turn off the headlight works when the bike is running but not in motion too.

I use google to translate the German site. It's still iffy but you can figure out what they are talking about.

That site is how I found out about the Wunderlich cams and rebranded techlusion box coming out for the RT/ST. Also the AC-Schnitzer handlebar and other goodies. woohoo!

Also useful for track days on other models as the heat

buildup behind a taped headlight can crack the glass

enclosed ones. The new beemers use plastic or at least the k12s does, and no problems at the track for me although they were always on.

Best,

Eric

Austin

Archived