IGNORED

Battery Replacement

bmmr

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what is the proper procedure for replacing the battery on the R1150rt?

Any tricks or suggestions would be appreciated..

Michael

Michael,

No tricks; rather, it's strait forward. You remove left side (that's shift/clutch side) tupperware, which requires first taking off left side mirror. There's a rubber strap "fixing" battery in its slot which you remove, then undo the most accessible battery cable; then slide out battery another few inches so as to get at second cable.

Replacement is just as strait forward.

Now as to what replacement battery, there are various opinions on that. Me, I use a fifty dollar panasonic which has served well for past three years (and still going).

If you've never taken mirror & tupperware off, well, say so as first time is minor league tricky.

Wooster

It's a good idea to remove the ground terminal connection first to avoid a short if you accidentally touch the frame while removing the hot lead. When hooking up the new battery do the ground last for the same reason.

Here is the link:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4384

Has anyone else noticed the convenient jump start battery connections on the newer (2004) Oilheads? It is visible just under the front edge of the seat. I wanted to add one of these connections to my R1100RT and have now done so. Here are the part numbers for anyone who wants to add one to their bike. Total parts cost is about $19.00

61 21 7 671 334 (Angle Piece)

61 13 7 672 395 (Protect. Cap)

61 13 7 671 354 (Connector)

There is also a new Ground Connector on the rear of the left head on the newer bikes but the older bikes do not have this raised casting with the tapped hole. I figure a good ground connection is not as difficult to find as the positive connection.

Mick

Tucson

There is one little trick that you might need to be aware of. You have to take off the left (shift side) mirror because one of the tupperware hex screws is hidden underneath it. While facing the front of the bike, take the heel of your right hand and give a little pop to the outside edge of the mirror and it will pop right off. Then just turn and unplug the light and there ya go. To put it back on, another little tollcheck to the outside of the mirror housing and pop it back on. Pop goes the mirror!!<<<Softtail>>> thumbsup.gif

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what is the proper procedure for replacing the battery on the R1150rt?

Any tricks or suggestions would be appreciated..

Undo the screws, remove the old one, put in the new one and tighten the screws again. Then reset your digital clock. grin.gif

Bob.

Michael, It would be a good time to install a jumper post on the positive side of the battery if there isn't one there. grin.gif

Just out of curiosity what did you use for a jumper post? Just something off the shelf from a hardware store? This is something I want to do, and have some ideas, but haven't actually fabbed anything yet.

Well it was pretty simple process becuase I have a lot of experience removing Tupperware on the other bikes..

I installed a brand new Odyssey battery that i had as a spare in the garage (Fit's my Harley etc) however it was the MJ version (Metal Jacket). It did fit snug, but a little bit of lube on teh side case it it just slid in like it was custom made for the bike. I also service the aircleaner as you have to open uo the housing to remove the air scoop that runs infront of the battery box.

The hardest part was to rework the negative cable to fit the battery, but it was all worth it as the Odyssey battery starts the bike with more authority than the stock battery.

I've been using the Odyssey in the Harley and I can attest to the awesome starting power that the battery has exhibited. I do not use a trickle charger and the bike starts first crank after a winter of hibernation. BTW, the Odyssey that I isntalled yesterday sat on the shelf for over six months and did not need any charging to start the RT.

Thank you all for your tips, it is much appreciated.

Archived