IGNORED

Nolan 100E Modular Helmet

Steve_Reinig

Steve_Reinig

I am giving serious consideration to purchasing this helmet. What are folks experience both good and bad? I tried it on yesterday and it was very comfortable. Thanks in advance

Paul Mihalka

It is my favorite full-face helmet (yeah, I know it's a flip-up). In hottest summer I use a open face Arai SZ, the Nolan the rest of the year. Just came back from a two week 5000 mile trip to Torrey and did not have a comfort problem. (The last two days were in a U-HAUL, I did not wear it frown.gif )

One of the best features is the fog-free insert that clips into the shield. It is the only thing I ever found that really is fog-free.

I have it. It is my first flip face helmet. It fits my head and is comfortable.It rides good with the shield up one or two clicks in the heat.

Rob

Imho, the Nolan N100E is a great helmet. I've worn mine for the last 20K miles or so, and other than a rather sever case of helmet funk (you do not want to ride behind me!) smirk.gif, it has been quite comfortable and a pleasure to wear. My riding partner thinks so too, she bought one and loves it.

Here is a link to a test of seven flip front helmets, see what you think.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/fliphelmets/

I bought two of these Nolan helmets about 3 months ago when I bought my new RT. My wife and I like them very much and feel that this was the right choice for us.

I don't know how they compare to other modulars regarding wind noise, however, with the windshield fully down, I find that it is quite loud at highway speeds (w/out earplugs). I typically need to raise the windshield 1/4 - 1/3 way up to reduce the noise to a tolerable level.

My experience is opposite to Laura's. I prefer my old Nolan N100E to the Schuberth Concept I am currently wearing. The Nolan felt lighter, fit my "round-oval" head better, and was easier to flip up and lock down using one hand. Finally, the Nolan was much better value. However, I do like the built in sunshade of the Concept.

Unfortunately, there has not been a Nolan distributor in Canada for the past couple of years, but I understand that's about to change.

FWIW.

I have used the Nolan, Schuberth, and HJC Symax. Each has it's benefits and it is hard to say which one I liked best.

I wished I could take characteristics of each one to make my own helmet. But like that will ever happen.

The ratchet chin strap of the Nolan is great as well as the overall comfort of the helmet. What I disliked about the Nolan was how difficult it is to unlatch the front if it is not on your head. The release mechanisms became very stiff and hard to use. I also hated how difficult it is to change out faceshields. Granted it is toolfree, but there are things to take off and I found it a difficult task by the road side.

The Schuberth Concept is probably my overall favorite and I loved never having to change out the faceshield. It was never a worry that I had to pull over and change out the shield as the sun went down. One of my complaints about the helmet is how water would run down the inside of the faceshield when riding in the rain. I had some serious vision problems with this helmet in adverse weather conditions. Plus, it takes two hands to close the helmet as the wind dam would get in the way. I would seriously consider buying another one, except for the cost.

And since I accidentally dropped it off the bike and cracked the back of the helmet, I bought an HJC Symax.

I really enjoy the HJC and how easy it is to latch and unlatch the flip-up face. It is comfortable and relatively easy to change out the faceshields. I don't like D rings so I put on one of the quick release accessories, which still does not work as well as the Nolan or Schubert chin straps, but it is still better than D rings.

I might go back to the Nolan since they have changed the latching mechanism and now it can be opened with only one hand.

But time will tell.

Hope my insight helps someone else in making an educated decision.

DavidEBSmith

I got one when they first came out years ago and I'm on my third (and it's pretty funky inside, so I'll probably be on the fourth soon). I regularly wear it for hours at a time, just flipping up the chin bar and leaving the helmet on at gas and rest stops.

I looked at the new version with the sunshade and I was not impressed - it seemed heavier to me, and I've heard that the sunshade leaves a wear mark on the visor.

I think that there's one version of the 100 with a removable lining, and one version that doesn't have it. It's nice to be able to remvoe the lining and wash it out occasionally, although the padding around the ears doesn't come out and it can get funky.

I have the N100E, I like it, it fits my fat head well, and pinlock fogshield really does work, in the winter I can add the two breath controlling devices and it keeps it warm. and fogfree.. it's a keeper for me

I have 2 Schuberth C1's.

Came with the bike.

The medium fits me perfectly. Not so tight as to cause discomfort.

The XXL, only slightly larger, I am keeping so that I can wear a balaclava or other insulated cap underneath it.

Both are noisy.

My cheap HJC full face (under $200) is much more quiet.

The only way to get a quiet helmet is to try different ones on. And try them on the bike you'll be riding. Everyone has different shaped/sized heads, riding conditions, environment, etc.

I do like having the flip up front for driving in traffic, in heat and for sneezing.

Having a noise cancelling device inside the helmet would be great.

The flip portion stays up when extended all the way into it's semi-locked position even when braking hard.

The helmet is light. Weighing about 1 kg.

If the Schuberths had not came with the bike, I would have bought the Nolan only becuase of the price difference. As far as I can tell, from the surface, they are very similar helmets.

Hope this info is of some use.

The Schuberth Concept is probably my overall favorite and I loved never having to change out the faceshield. It was never a worry that I had to pull over and change out the shield as the sun went down. One of my complaints about the helmet is how water would run down the inside of the faceshield when riding in the rain.
Butterfly and large bug splats will also run down the inside of the face shield if in the forward position. grin.gif

Steve, I have had mine for about 100k and love it. I had to buy my wife a new helmet after she dropped hers in Winthrop, so I got her an N100 from HERE and got it in 3 days. Second purchase from them, and I couldn't be happier. I am going to replace my N100 for a new on in the next few months as mine is showing it's age.

YMMV

Hope this helps,

Mike

Archived