IGNORED

Venting Machine optional hip protectors

dwb

I purchased a BMW Venting Machine Suit recently and found a comfortable fit with the pants without trying the optional hip/thigh protectors. When I later fitted the VM pants with the hip/thigh protectors I found the fit a little snugger than I prefer in my riding position. In addition I found that the hip and thigh pads noticeably interfere with air flow -- the combination of knee, hip and thigh pads pretty much covers the legs and negates the venting capabilities of the pants.

At this point I am trying to rationalize not using the hip/thigh protectors. I would be interested to hear opinions on the importance of hip protectors and learn whether other VM pants owners use the optional hip/thigh protectors.

I purchased the BMW Savanna 2 pants and tried them on. The fit perfectly. Then the salesman asked if I was interested in the hip protectors. I wasn't aware that they were available but I tried them on. They are noticeable and look a bit funny (not that I don't look funny in that suit without them).

I bought the hip protectors. Being a cyclist who rides my road and mountain bikes around in spandex, I am aware that the hip is a major impact point when falling. I don't have time in my life to recover from a broken hip so I bought the pads and wear them gladly.

Upside: they give me much more confidence when leaning way over. Just knowing that that area is padded enables me to relax a bit more in the twisties.

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks for the response Co.

My dealer claims he sells about twice as many pants as optional hip protector kits, so some are presumably going without. My 3-Phase suit pants use the same hip/thigh protectors as the venting machine pants and I would guess your Savanna 2 hip protectors are the same as well. I’ve noticed the standard hip protectors installed in the new Santiago suit are considerably smaller than the optional sets I purchased for the VM and 3-Phase pants.

My best fit in BMW pants is a short size, but the Venting Machine only comes in regular sizes. As a result the fit of my VM pants is something of a compromise between waist/hip size and knee pad alignment. I’ve been using the hip pads without the thigh pads in the VM as a compromise solution which helps with comfort and also improves airflow. At times I’ll wear the VM jacket zipped to my 3-Phase pants which has both hip and thigh pads installed.

Predictably, this post didn’t generate a lot of interest. But I thought it might be helpful nonetheless to remind folks that hip protectors are optional for some of the BMW riding pants and (obviously) it’s best to size the pants with the optional pads installed and experiment with the full range of riding positions you intend to use.

Have you thought about getting the pants altered? Maybe a shop like REI's repair shop can do it, or at least might know someone who can work with that material.

My best fit in BMW pants is a short size, but the Venting Machine only comes in regular sizes. As a result the fit of my VM pants is something of a compromise between waist/hip size and knee pad alignment.

I have a Venting Machine Suit and did purchase the hip pad set for it. After falling off of a dirt bike onto my hip some years ago, I understand the importance of hip padding. It took months for the hip pain to disappear after that crash.

Another minor point.... the Venting Machine certainly is available in other sizes... "normal" "slim" and "thick set" are listed on the size chart. I'm 6'3" with 36" inseam and had my dealer order me a size 102 (42L) Jacket and a size 106 (44L) pants. See this link Size Table for BMW clothing

I stand corrected Satguy; my US Catalog shows the Venting Machine available in regular and long sizes, but no short sizes. I was also told by my dealer that short sizes were not available, but I’ll check again. Thanks.

It’s interesting to note the differences in terminology between the US catalog and the International English catalog. US male sizes regular, long and short become international sizes normal, slim and thick set; whereas female sizes regular, long and petite become normal, slim and thick set. Thick Set is equivalent to Petite?

Archived