IGNORED

Official member of the horizontal bike club!!!

dan90638

Well, it has ultimately happened. I tried to avoid it as much as possible, but as of today, I'm an official member of the horizontal bike club! I was practicing slow maneuver techniques (e.g. u-turns and figure-8's within 2 parking spaces) when I just lost focus and dropped my R1200RT. I was doing well for the first 45 minutes, but perhaps I should've rested for a while. The rear left pannier suffered scrapes & scratches, but it didn't bother me too much as it already came with some from the previous owner, who dropped it from the side stand once. (BTW, the plastic pannier guard really didn't help. Once the bike tips over, it falls on the side of the pannier, not the corner/edge.) The left mirror popped out, but it was easily placed back into its place. Minor scratches on the bottom left corner. The engine guard did its job as it took all of the scrapes and prevented any damage to the engine itself. I was trying to practice picking up the bike myself from the techniques I've seen on Youtube, but a guy walking by came along and helped pick it up. Lesson learned on this was to keep the bike in gear so it doesn't roll forward as you pick it up. Overall, I laughed at the experience rather than get upset only because I realized I had finally joined the club.

BTW, the slow riding technique discussion in this forum is good. I guess there is a dabate whether to use the rear brake when feathering the clutch. For me, I was using a little of the rear brake just to keep the bike balanced and feathered the clutch in and out. Other than practice, I figure I won't do it all the time, so it shouldn't damage the dry clutch too much.

So far, conducting a U-turn and figure-8 within 3 parking spaces is easily doable now. Trying to do it "consistently" within 2 parking spaces will need more practice as I'm at about a 33% success rate so far.

I've been a member of the horizontal bike club for 40 years. It happens to everyone. I agree, 45 minutes is too long to be practicing slow speed riding. 15-20 minutes with a 10 minute break is better. I wonder if all drop damage on a 1200RT could be prevented by removing the mirrors and cases and setting them safely nearby? Having a coach/observer/fellow rider is a good idea too. What if you fell and trapped yourself under the bike, especially with an injury?

I wonder if all drop damage on a 1200RT could be prevented by removing the mirrors and cases and setting them safely nearby?

Well that would certainly prevent damage to the mirrors and cases, but not to the now-vulnerable areas previously protected by the cases, and would also not prevent damage to the outer edge of the mirror attachment area. The muffler and/or grab handles in the back would be damaged, which cost more to replace than repainting the cases would.

Jay

Well, it has ultimately happened. I tried to avoid it as much as possible, but as of today, I'm an official member of the horizontal bike club! I was practicing slow maneuver techniques (e.g. u-turns and figure-8's within 2 parking spaces) when I just lost focus and dropped my R1200RT. I was doing well for the first 45 minutes, but perhaps I should've rested for a while. The rear left pannier suffered scrapes & scratches, but it didn't bother me too much as it already came with some from the previous owner, who dropped it from the side stand once. (BTW, the plastic pannier guard really didn't help. Once the bike tips over, it falls on the side of the pannier, not the corner/edge.) The left mirror popped out, but it was easily placed back into its place. Minor scratches on the bottom left corner. The engine guard did its job as it took all of the scrapes and prevented any damage to the engine itself. I was trying to practice picking up the bike myself from the techniques I've seen on Youtube, but a guy walking by came along and helped pick it up. Lesson learned on this was to keep the bike in gear so it doesn't roll forward as you pick it up. Overall, I laughed at the experience rather than get upset only because I realized I had finally joined the club.

BTW, the slow riding technique discussion in this forum is good. I guess there is a dabate whether to use the rear brake when feathering the clutch. For me, I was using a little of the rear brake just to keep the bike balanced and feathered the clutch in and out. Other than practice, I figure I won't do it all the time, so it shouldn't damage the dry clutch too much.

So far, conducting a U-turn and figure-8 within 3 parking spaces is easily doable now. Trying to do it "consistently" within 2 parking spaces will need more practice as I'm at about a 33% success rate so far.

Dan, I think your 2006 has linked brakes, so applying the rear brake also applies some front brake. You should keep that in mind when making really tight slow turns.

Dan, I think your 2006 has linked brakes, so applying the rear brake also applies some front brake.

Not true. Applying the front brake also engages the rear one, but the rear brake can be used alone.

Jay

Jay is correct. The front brake lever activates the front and rear brakes. However, if I only apply the rear brake, it acts independently. But thanks for looking out, Alan.

It's a very large club that almost everyone who rides a lot belongs to. Especially bigger bikes.

Agree that 45 minutes seems way too long for tight turn maneuvers, but YMMV. I feather the clutch and don't use the rear brake when doing U-turns. I've tried it both ways, and it just turned out to be my personal preference. Many would have a different view.

Weakest part of my skill set, slow riding....Dropped the bike twice, both on sharp U Turns, know better - looked at the ground..

Having the case repainted and installing ZTechnik engine bars, do the BMW case protectors work ?, they look to be too low...

Weakest part of my skill set, slow riding....Dropped the bike twice, both on sharp U Turns, know better - looked at the ground..

Having the case repainted and installing ZTechnik engine bars, do the BMW case protectors work ?, they look to be too low...

No, the BMW case protectors don't work well. The bike tips completely over on its side. When I checked the protectors afterward, it didn't even have a scratch on it.

I'm an official member of the horizontal bike club!

An old-timer told me, back when I first started riding back in the mid-80's, that there are only two kinds of riders. Those who have put their bikes down and those who will. I was the latter then, now I'm the former (though not with this ride). It's a big club.

Ouch. I remember taking a class from motorman. He had me doing some real funky stuff and thought for SURE I was going to go horizontal several times.

Didn't happen but I also didn't execute the exercise correctly either :grin:

Good for you for pushing your limits. The bike scratches can be fixed but your skill sets are now sharper and you will be a better rider for it.

Just the thought of putting my beautiful black R1200RT down brings tears to my eyes. I know it'll happen one of these days and I hope the Lord will forgive me.

Too many to count in the dirt. Only one on the street. 1980 riding '78 RD400. Cold, residential neighborhood, sharp left turn, slow speed. Add one wet round manhole cover at the apex and WHAM! Instant lowside. Damaged pride, lever, mirror.

A few pucker moments on tar snakes, and a slide or two in the rain on the RT wearing slippery ME880's, but no more pavement surfing for me.

I joined the club a couple of weeks ago. First time out on a brand new rear tire, damp road 200 yrds from the house at the apex of a left turn. Lost the left foot peg and added some scuffs to the bags and tupperware :mad:. Felt like I was on ice.

Archived