IGNORED

installing oeticker clamps

stanf

Hi All: do some of you pros have any tips on installing the small Oeticker clamps? I'm referring specifically to the 2 smaller ones inside the fuel tank access plate that attach to the outside fuel lines.

The clamps that came off are the open ended types, er...maybe they're not actually Oetickers. I have an Oeticker clamp, the proper clamps from BMW (although they look pretty small, I can get then on the hose with some lube and twisting).

The problem is I can't get the "ears" to overlap and lock in place. I've mangled several already and am running out of clamps.

I have small worm-screw clamps that will fit but I read in one of the Tech Docs..not to use this type clamp on the fuel lines.

help and TIA,

Stan

ps. If I can just get these clamps in place, I'll be done with my 24k service cool.gif

They make special pliers to do the job. I got mine from NAPA.

I think you could make do with a substitute. Have you tried a pair of sidecuts? Just squeeze together down near the hose.

Sears has some cutters that have the edge turned 90 degrees from normal sidecuts , they might work too.

I have small worm-screw clamps that will fit but I read in one of the Tech Docs..not to use this type clamp on the fuel lines

The small hoses don't have any pressure on them. I used a worm type clamp the first time I did a filter. The main problem is a matter of space. A worm clamp will get in the way when you try to put it back together. Someone also posted using a wire tie to do the job.

Note: these hoses have no pressure, being overflow from top of gas cap and vent hose from inside tank. However they must not leak or they can drain your tank.

thanks Larry,

I just came back from NAPA and they had some screw (not worm) clamps but I think the screw/nut assembly might get in the way of reinstalling the plate.

If they don't work, I'll use the worm type for now and call it a day.

Then, I'll go befriend a bmw mechanic and buy him/her a beer if they'll tell me the secret grip for the oeticker clamps. I do have the pliers but try as I could to pinch them closed..it wasn't happn' dopeslap.gif

Tim,

You're right...panic's over !!

I used some 1/4" FI screw clamps from Pep Boys and the plate sealed fine. Bike's up and running...no leaks.

Thanks for the comments, guys. thumbsup.gif

Jerry Johnston

You can buy a small pair of bolt cutters from Harbor Frieght (cheap is great for this) and dull the cutting edge - it will then work and look like the oeticker pliers but cost only about $5.

ShovelStrokeEd

Best to stay with something that keeps the jaws parallel. I use a pair of heavy nippers that I dulled up with a Dremel tool. They have an advantage in that the handles are oriented straight out from the jaws making them much handier in tight spots like around the fuel filter clamps.

Hi All: do some of you pros have any tips on installing the small Oeticker clamps?

Nothin' to it. But first off, as I recall they are spelled "Oetker". German does not use the letter "c" before "k". Anyway, ...whatever!

To install them, I use a pair of ceramic tile "nippers". They have jaws that open and close in parallel at teh "front" of the tool (as opposed to the wedging action of side cutters). The ones I have, have carbide jaws, that are not terribly sharp, so they don't damage the clamp. Tile nippers are dirt cheap. They just pinch it nicely together and parallel.

Bob.

Archived