IGNORED

Removing the silver lower side plate

rondob4

Time to demonstrate my total ignorance. crazy.gif

I plan on installing a set of Suburban Machinery relocators on the passenger pegs of my '99 R1100RT. As I was scoping out the procedure, I noticed a large allen head bolt directly behind the passenger peg. There is no wrench large enough in the stock tool kit to remove said bolt, and I haven't got one in my tool box. Can anyone tell me what size wrench I need and where I might find one?

If you're referring to the one that's about 2" behind the passenger peg, the size is 8mm. I've looked at the one on my 1150RT and I guess that the 1100RT is the same.

Locating one at your auto tools supplier should not be difficult.

You might want to do a search on removing the footplate.

Michael Fajans

Why are you removing the footplate to install the passenger peg relocaters? On mine (1150RT) that was unnecessary. All the work is just done with the pins that hold the pegs onto the plate (removing a spring clip and pin, adding the adaptor and attaching the peg to that with the supplied pin.)

Yer both right, no need to pull to plate to do the rear pegs, but I'm also putting a lowering kit on the front pegs and a lowered shifter; it's necessary to pull to plate to install the shifter. Sorry I wasn't as concise as I could have been.

Thanks for the information - I still wonder why that wrench wouldn't be in the stock tool kit???

Steve_Witmer
I still wonder why that wrench wouldn't be in the stock tool kit???

Probably because you are unlikely to need to remove that plate to work on anything that has caused a roadside breakdown. It's just for emergencies.

You have probably done it already and found out that this bolt is the lower fastening for the rear subframe. Now get it back in! I used a very large flat screwdriver as a lever between the plastic airbox and the frame member above and was eventually able to realign the outer hole with the subframe thread. Best of luck!

Archived